Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 14,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awan916 View Post
Well for my tentative offer they basically said California -Southwest. So chances are I'm not being sent anywhere else.
Depends on which agency you applied for. If it is for the Border Patrol, you could be stationed anywhere along the southwest border - from Imperial Beach, CA to Brownsville, TX - with advanced notice to which sector/station you will be assigned before you attend the academy. When you applied, you signed a relocation agreement which stated you were willing to move to anywhere along the US-Mexico border.

Since you mentioned San Ysidro, I am 100% certain you applied for the CBPO position and not Border Patrol. If/when you get the call, you will be given a choice between San Ysidro (most likely), Otay Mesa, or Tecate (long shot) since CBPOs are hired by port of entry locations within a field office (in your case San Diego).

Just a forewarning though. After your background clears and all your steps are completed, you could be waiting six months to two years for the final call (I waited two years from the tentative offer to enter on duty).

I have spent the last couple of months while at the academy looking for a place to live that is affordable on our starting salary. The areas in south San Diego, to me, is out of the question due to its close proximity to the border and the very same people we will be dealing with frequent those areas. We have been advised to not live too close to the border because it is not uncommon for officers to be followed home from work or have their house visited while they were away.

Eastlake is a nice area where a lot of journeymen BP and CBPO live but is out of our starting price point.

As my time here dwindles down quick, I also find myself having no clue where I will be living once I graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 03:06 PM

95 posts, read 408,581 times
Read your post. I'll confess I know nothing about what you and some of the other people replying are talking about, at least concerning your job or branches of government.

However, what I can tell you is you shouldn't worry about two things. First, the $2000 rent issue. You will only pay that much along the south bay if you want to, have a huge family and need a ton of space, or need a place very close or on the beach.

As for crime, San Diego county has a very low rate of crime. It's only when I travel to other cities in the nation, that I hear about crime in the news. When I first moved to San Diego, I had the same concern. Locals told me to be more concerned about my car broken into since I was moving to Mission Beach. They were correct on both fronts. I soon discovered the crime rate in SD county is very low and my car was broken into a few months after my relocation. Don't be as dumb as me and leave your job tools/equipment in plain view.

Other than that, congrats and welcome. Someone previous to me said you should wait till you knew 100%--rubbish. Nothing is 100%. Welcome to SD, it will be the best move of your life.

--AJ

Old 07-16-2011, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,876 times
Yes my application is for a CBPO. I'm fully aware of the fact that it could potentially take years for me to get the final call. I wasn't planning on being TOO close to the border. Eastlake seems like a pretty nice area. Pricey though.

I have a question for you Grimm. How much time are you given to relocate? Or is that something that needs to be negotiated with the port? I would be coming from the northeast so it could take a while to get everything organized.

Man those break ins must suck. Not very important as opposed to your own personal safety though.

Thanks for the response guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego