Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM

50 posts, read 124,937 times

Advertisements

So it was one year ago that my fiance and I made the move to Carlsbad, CA from St. Louis, MO. It has been an adventure to say the least but a great one, I have no complaints or regrets.

My fiance grew up in Dana Point, CA so his transition was much smoother as he already had plenty of friends. I have made plenty of friends because the people I've met are so genuinely nice here.

Positives
The weather, seriously you cannot beat the weather here. The mornings are overcast and it's perfectly sunny by 10:00 am nearly every single day. The gloomy or rainy days we do have are welcomed because it's nice to see something different for a change.

Fresh produce, the freshness of fruits and vegetables is much better. Something I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not lived in St. Louis, MO my whole life.

It's seriously gorgeous, the ocean and beaches. Again, had I not lived elsewhere I would probably take this for granted.

Negatives

I'm not even going to post negatives because like everywhere it has them but why focus on them? I will say that the job market is pretty bad and people aren't kidding when they say to have a job before moving here. Even waitressing jobs are hard to come by. I'm a freelance makeup artist and have been very lucky in finding work but my fiance is the main bread winner here so I always had that to fall back on after we moved.

If you love beautiful places and can afford it here I highly recommend it. The quality of life cannot be beat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM

15 posts, read 40,079 times
Thanks for sharing your experiences! I'll be moving to the SD area soon -- not sure what to expect but am ready for the change...

Old 07-18-2011, 04:25 PM

316 posts, read 666,185 times
Speaking of fresh produce, I know they have farmer's markets, but do they only have them on certain days in certain locations or are there any that are available everyday? Same question for meat/fish/dairy markets?

Last edited by Matt518; 07-18-2011 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt518 View Post
Speaking of fresh produce, I know they have farmer's markets, but do they only have them on certain days in certain locations or are there any that are available everyday? Same question for meat/fish/dairy markets?
The farmers' markets are generally once a week, but there are SO MANY of them anymore that on any given weekday you won't find yourself too far away from one. The biggest are OB on Wednesday, Lilttle Italy on Saturday, and Hillcrest on Sunday, although most of even the smaller markets have a pretty decent selection of fresh, local stuff. Each one has it's own character, also.. Escondido is really great for produce, and Mira Mesa has all kinds of awesome Asian veggies that you don't often see outside of an Asian grocery.

As for meat/fish/dairy, there are a couple of stores taht are open 7 days/week, and there are a few local pasture-raised meat vendors at the various farmers' markets. I hightly recommend Poppa's Fresh Fish company for seafood- he's at most of the farmers' markets...

Farmers Markets in San Diego - Find locally grown produce: San Diego County Farm Bureau

Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I lived in Saint Louis for two years, hated it on so many levels that I had to move back to CA.

Glad you are enjoying it here. I find Southern Californians to be more genuine and sincere than the people I met in Saint Louis.

The economy will get better sooner or later. I am seeing a lot more help wanted signs being posted.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieart View Post
So it was one year ago that my fiance and I made the move to Carlsbad, CA from St. Louis, MO. It has been an adventure to say the least but a great one, I have no complaints or regrets.

My fiance grew up in Dana Point, CA so his transition was much smoother as he already had plenty of friends. I have made plenty of friends because the people I've met are so genuinely nice here.

Positives
The weather, seriously you cannot beat the weather here. The mornings are overcast and it's perfectly sunny by 10:00 am nearly every single day. The gloomy or rainy days we do have are welcomed because it's nice to see something different for a change.

Fresh produce, the freshness of fruits and vegetables is much better. Something I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not lived in St. Louis, MO my whole life.

It's seriously gorgeous, the ocean and beaches. Again, had I not lived elsewhere I would probably take this for granted.

Negatives

I'm not even going to post negatives because like everywhere it has them but why focus on them? I will say that the job market is pretty bad and people aren't kidding when they say to have a job before moving here. Even waitressing jobs are hard to come by. I'm a freelance makeup artist and have been very lucky in finding work but my fiance is the main bread winner here so I always had that to fall back on after we moved.

If you love beautiful places and can afford it here I highly recommend it. The quality of life cannot be beat.
What a wonderful story. It is always fun to see the positives and they do exist. I think though, people without jobs and nothing to fall back on, really have to weigh the pros and cons very carefully. You are one of the lucky ones. Keep enjoying your life and keep eating that wonderful produce. I think what I miss the most about Ca is the produce and fresh fish.

Nita

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I have spent time in St. Louis and practically anywhere would be preferable to living there. So a place as nice as San Diego would truly be paradise!

As a native southern Californian, I have to say the main drawback (for me), of San Diego is the traffic on the freeways coming in and out of the city. It's gotten terrible over the years. And the general overcrowding. I can remember when San Diego was a 'small' town in feel. Those days are long gone.

The entire beach communities of San Clemente, Oceanside, Del mar and La Jolla were SO much nicer 30 years ago. Too many people now and too many tract homes.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
My wife and I would move back to San Diego in a heart beat if the right jobs were available. Right now it is a great vacation spot for us. The weather has been perfect since last week when we came into town. I don't won't to go home. That being said Colorado is a close second. My folks have citrus and avocado trees so we go back with great produce.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
. I think though, people without jobs and nothing to fall back on, really have to weigh the pros and cons very carefully. You are one of the lucky ones. Keep enjoying your life and keep eating that wonderful produce. I think what I miss the most about Ca is the produce and fresh fish.

Nita

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I know many of us always emphasize the part about having a job before you come out. Just out of curiosity, how long did it take for your fiance to find a job? Does he like it and was it in his major field of study?

I'm glad you were able to find work. I know so many that made the move out to San Diego but left after a few months due to not finding a job or not finding a job in their field or that they enjoyed.

Thanks again for sharing.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
Thank you for the solid down to earth story. Life is good for me too, but I can't wait until I can post a " I found a job!" success story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego