Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times

Advertisements

Marine layer or no marine layer. The weather in San Diego beats just about every city out there year round. Just look at how many cities around the country have had so many days of 100+ weather this summer. So it's not just a matter of good weather when it's freezing around the country. It's also a relief compared to brutally hot summer days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
yes, we have the greatest weather in the US...but folks who are thinking about moving here should realize that it isn't always "warm and sunny". But the weather here has certainly changed since I moved here 35 years ago...it used to be warm and sunny most of the year but when Mt. St. Helens blew, our weather started to change IMO. We just don't get the extremes of weather the rest of the country is experiencing, which we all agree is why we are here. But alot of people come here to visit or move and think it is going to be Florida-like sunshine all year round, and they want to go to the beaches which can be overcast. I'm not complaining because I personally like cool weather. I've lived on the coast for many many years...sometimes it burns off late morning, sometimes not until mid afternoon, sometimes not at all. I'm speaking now of the coast, not inland. One can go a mile or two inland and it will be considerably hotter/sunnier. But our summers the last 2-3 years are certainly not as perfect as they were 30 years ago. But, hey, we're splitting hairs here about our weather because we all know it's still the best in the country, no place compares.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
yes, we have the greatest weather in the US...but folks who are thinking about moving here should realize that it isn't always "warm and sunny". But the weather here has certainly changed since I moved here 35 years ago...it used to be warm and sunny most of the year but when Mt. St. Helens blew, our weather started to change IMO. We just don't get the extremes of weather the rest of the country is experiencing, which we all agree is why we are here. But alot of people come here to visit or move and think it is going to be Florida-like sunshine all year round, and they want to go to the beaches which can be overcast. I'm not complaining because I personally like cool weather. I've lived on the coast for many many years...sometimes it burns off late morning, sometimes not until mid afternoon, sometimes not at all. I'm speaking now of the coast, not inland. One can go a mile or two inland and it will be considerably hotter/sunnier. But our summers the last 2-3 years are certainly not as perfect as they were 30 years ago. But, hey, we're splitting hairs here about our weather because we all know it's still the best in the country, no place compares.
Exactly! IN regards to my other post about the marine layer. I thought it would be fair to give some perspective simply because there is a picture painted about SD having sunshine on the coast ALL the time and its in the 70s all year. Which of course is untrue. Yes it burns off, but again, to anyone not from here that plans on frolicking on the sunny beaches at 10am, its cloudy.

Our weather here is exceptional and nowhere else in the 48 contiguous can compare. Actually at the Museum of Science, I saw something that we have almost identical weather to Israel or at least some part of Israel.
Absolutely no complaints on my end.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Exactly! IN regards to my other post about the marine layer. I thought it would be fair to give some perspective simply because there is a picture painted about SD having sunshine on the coast ALL the time and its in the 70s all year. Which of course is untrue. Yes it burns off, but again, to anyone not from here that plans on frolicking on the sunny beaches at 10am, its cloudy.

Our weather here is exceptional and nowhere else in the 48 contiguous can compare. Actually at the Museum of Science, I saw something that we have almost identical weather to Israel or at least some part of Israel.
Absolutely no complaints on my end.
However, isn't Lemon Grove supposed to have the best weather in the United States?

If people want the heat, they should go to Arizona and Texas. The fact that there are only 5-8 days a year where I wish I had air conditioning makes this perfect weather for me. I'm probably in the minority, but if the old timers are saying San Diego is colder than it used to be, I see that as a plus . . . I love the "cool" weather.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,839 times
My family moved to San Diego from Minneapolis. We have no regrets however the cost of living takes a bit to get used too. Additionally we are Asian and were shocked to find lack of asian markets and products in the american grocery stores, unless we go all the way downtown which is frustrating.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,154 times
Joy, not sure where you live, but why rely on the American grocery stores when there are huge strictly Asian supermarkets all over San Diego as well as smaller Asian markets in City Heights along El Cajon Blvd. Too many to list, use Google to get specific stores.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 PM

16 posts, read 35,444 times
I'm a native San Diegan who wants to move out of here. Flagstaff, Denver, and Reno/Tahoe are areas I'm considering. It's all due to the cost of living and raising a family. Not a big beach fan, more sharks, jellyfish, and kooks who don't know the rules of surfing than ever. I also love skiing, and hate that 3 hour drive through Riverside to get to any ski areas
Who would I recommend San Diego to? Someone who wants 72 degree weather year round, who loves the beach (not hawaiian beaches, but chilly, breezy but surfable with a wetsuit during an uncrowded midweek beaches), someone young and single who likes nightlife, and someone who is OK with roommates and being poor all the time. Oh and I don't have AC and I don't need it either. That's nice

BTW Joy, which areas are you looking for Asian Markets? Mira Mesa, Kearny Mesa, Linda Vista, City Heights, and South bay have a lot to choose from. I live near Kearny Mesa and within 2 miles of my house there are Korean, Vietnamese, Pan-asian (Ranch 99) and three Japanese markets. In fact, I have to drive far to find an American grocery store lol!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:15 PM

281 posts, read 811,241 times
I moved to San Diego in 1988. Me, my car, about $1K. It all worked out -- not to say there wasn't lean times. I came from the midwest so the weather was a HUGE draw for me. I loved San Diego when I was in my 20's -- very youth oriented culture, things to do (esp. outdoors stuff -- exploring up and down the coast a bit).

As I got older though, after I got married, I had some personal stuff happen (had a disabled son) and so I kind of missed my opportunity to do things like buy a home. By the time I was ready the market went to HE** and the opportunity was over. I also had grown up, got divorced, was supporting my kids on my own -- and I yearned for a far more arts and culture type environment, somewhere I could feel a connection, for a sense of community, and to be honest I was flat out bored to death with what there was to do. I just didn't want to hike any more, or bike ride, or take the kids to the zoo. It might sound strange but the energy of the city just wasn't meshing with my own personality any longer (and I don't normally talk energy and all that..I'm a very pragmatic and practical person). I even got bored with the weather -- it never changed much. I like palm trees but the brown all over (it was not like this when I first moved to SD) made much of it seem ugly to me. I love the look of the houses though :-)

I visited DC in Jan of this year for a conference. I fell in absolute love with the area. Spent the spring looking for a job, got one, and moved out here in July. It's so green and it seems as if nature is all around you (I live in a Maryland suburb of DC) -- the sense of community I found here amazes me -- I really feel like I am part of a bigger group, I know my neighbors, we talk and everyone contributes. There is a vibrant community life here. I love going into DC - and the intellectual and art/cultural things to do mean I am rarely, if ever, bored. I'm just a couple hours from NYC, Philly, and other interesting places. I love this country (please note I don't love everything politicians do) and being so close to the capital and all it offers -- seeing the supreme court, the declaration of independence -- it's still a little awe inspiring for me. I LOVE the energy of the city - the architecture and the vibe. I get off the Metro to go to Washington Capitals (I'm a huge hockey fan) game and there are tons of people walking, there are people drumming, people are happy and we're all standing around watching this guy just bang those drums -- I just feel like a part of something here. I never had that feeling in CA where I felt like everything was very individualistic.

And the sense of who I am as an American - I've been to reenactments, to museum houses, to Ford's theatre -- and more....it energizes me, anchors me. Last weekend I planned to go to the MLK Memorial ceremonies (Thanks Hurricane Irene for canceling those!) and to be able to do that - to be part of that history - I just love it. LOVE it. The National Book Festival is in September - a huge huge book fair on the Mall. I cannot wait. I went jogging by the monuments -- at sunset. To me this was as great a feeling as being at the ocean.

It's not perfect but it is perfect for me. I do not regret leaving even one tiny little bit. My new job is great with lots of opportunity to make a difference - I have a place that's cheaper than what I paid in San Diego for a run down apartment and it's beautiful and homey, the school my daughter goes too is phenomenal and much better than what her options were in San Diego.

It would not be for everyone...but it is for me. Do I miss SD? Some stuff. CA drivers (WAY better than DC/MD drivers!), good Mexican food, Fresh and Easy! That's o.k. ...San Diego is an amazing city. If it is the right one for you then you will love it and it will feel like home. Now, when I look around me, I just feel so fortunate to have found somewhere that I truly belong - no regrets at all.

Last edited by JosephineBeth; 08-31-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I appreciate your comments about Maryland/DC. I too love that area, want to retire in the mid-Atlantic somewhere, but think maybe I can't afford it. But you have found that it is less expensive than SD/California, in general?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
I think the best argument JosephineBeth makes is not San Diego=bad, DC=great, but one needs to really get out there, take a risk, and experience new parts of the country and embrace the local culture. I have found beauty in all the places I have lived and passed through (Go Cleveland!). While I can somewhat to mostly agree with everything about DC area that was indicated, I would never go back there (been there, done that, born and raised). I love San Diego but I am pretty certain I would not have wanted to live here all of my life until now. I am grateful I have poked around a bit before landing here.

Sometimes it is too easy to go to New York, San Francisco, LA, SD (or fill in the blank beach place), Chicago....people should check out some other places too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego