Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 02:37 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,045,940 times

Advertisements

I was a tourist passing through LaJolla in 1979 and remember if very fondly. Now, I'm a retiree looking for a safe town, walk to the beach, things to do, maybe a condo, friendly people, affordable to a middle-class income. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:55 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,571,692 times
Very upscale and nice.I'm not sure about middle class but maybe upper mid to high class.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 PM

138 posts, read 544,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I was a tourist passing through LaJolla in 1979 and remember if very fondly. Now, I'm a retiree looking for a safe town, walk to the beach, things to do, maybe a condo, friendly people, affordable to a middle-class income. Any suggestions would be welcome.
We are making middle class wages and La Jolla is way out of our ballpark. We are looking to buy some time soon, so we have been doing research on where we could own. I don't know much about the place though, but I have heard very good things about it.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:41 PM

55 posts, read 281,488 times
La Jolla is beautiful, to visit. However, to live there and retire in style it would require a couple of million in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 15,985 times
You may want to look into Imperial Beach it is more affordable. In the last 5 years the city has really cleaned itself up. It is located about 45 minutes south of La Jolla

Old 08-15-2007, 12:23 PM

32 posts, read 63,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
That's very interesting.......I used to live in La Jolla in 76 / 77 and went back in July for the first time in 30 years. It is still a lovely place and you can still get a parking spot (metered) on weekdays at any rate. La Jolla cove area was quiet on weekdays. What I did notice was the invasion of the 'brands'. Those weren't there when I lived there, now there are Maserati dealers, and upscale botiques my wife can remember the names of them I can't. Safeways is now Ralphs, the Jack in the Box is still there, so is Su Casa and quite a few other places. Also, there is a mass of development along Villa La Jolla drive which was nothing back then, and I sensed that the name La Jolla has been used to describe areas that aren't anywhere near La Jolla town centre. Still a great area and worth a visit just for nostalgia purposes.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:28 PM

28 posts, read 168,429 times
Agree. You would be hard to find a more expensive area in California.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 PM
MCS

14 posts, read 123,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnmusk View Post
You may want to look into Imperial Beach it is more affordable. In the last 5 years the city has really cleaned itself up. It is located about 45 minutes south of La Jolla
Your kidding me right? Hmm 13th and Iris Ave. If your in Imperial Beach drive it tell me if your like IB. I've drove through the city alot at all parts and wasn't impressed.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:34 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,496 times
Oh yeah. Imperial Beach. I lived there in 2002-2003. My car was broken into and my wife's was vandalized. Her chained bike got stolen from under a canopy.

I'm not the type to rail on about crime because I love my big and edgy cities like Houston and L.A. but the I. B. was a crap hole. The weather was very nice and cool though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: