U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:21 AM

2,404 posts, read 2,438,608 times

Advertisements

This is my last week in Philly. I'm moving to San Diego very soon. Here's my check list:

CA License
Smog Test
CA car inspection
Then register the car & get CA plates
Renters insurance (required by law for renters, right?)
Renew passport before the new border laws go into effect Jan 1.
Long board

Am I missing anything? thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 02:55 PM

2,983 posts, read 6,736,748 times
Renters insurance is NOT required. Car insurance IS required.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 PM

841 posts, read 4,642,916 times
...Sunscreen?

Good luck on your move.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 PM

510 posts, read 2,306,540 times
Snagged this off of a website... is verbose, but if you're moving it can't hurt to read

Pasted it initially but it didn't format well. Here's the link to a moving checklist partnersmortgage.com by 360 - Moving Checklist (broken link)

Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 PM

37 posts, read 151,017 times
Hey Mossmo...GOOD LUCK! We're down in Virginia and returning to SD in a few weeks, too. We left 2.5 years ago and cant wait to get back.

Dont forget to pack your Tastycakes - I'm not sure they sell them in San Diego....

Old 08-14-2007, 02:32 AM

125 posts, read 19,928 times
Default My 10

1. el diccionario de espanol a ingles

2. Stuart Smalley's Daily Affirmation Tapes: to remind you that you are not insane or peculiarly arcane about otherwise humdrum matters. You might feel a little like Luke Wilson walking into the Idiocracy, but you'll adapt. Like one poster said, just kick back, don the boardshorts, crack a brew, and join em.

3. List of detailed references for your landlord-to-be at Credit Check time during the application/ approval process (typically exhaustive, due to the massive riff-raff and charlatan population -- many landlords live in fear of their next scam artist, drug dealer, or walk-out tenant... SoCal is overrun with these sorts, and their fears are thus justified)... be prepared to fork over monies immediately to secure the rented housing.

4. CA banks may "place a hold" on cash or funds which you deposit or transfer; the hold has been known in rare cases to take many business days to get sorted out. This is due to the intensive nature of background checking and funds clearance required to secure things against the risk of charlatans, thieves, and illegals. I have been through this process a few times, up and down the coast. They don't discriminate when performing rectal exams (it's part of their annoying ultra-egalitarian-orientation). This ordeal is not ever smooth for some reason. 'Bank' on it (no pun intended). Carry cash, but disperse it through your packed items and person.

5. Cell phone. It is likely that your East Coast cell phone will not be equipped to work on the West Coast. A quirk I encountered. You will likely be buying a new plan and phone.

6. Forward your mail.

7. a DUDE-tionary

8. Be careful who you call for computer tech help in your home -- there are many reputable companies acting as vultures, preying on those new to the area. Believe me, they'll know you're new.

9. White-noise machine. Seriously. I don't know where you'll be living, but chances are it will be loud at times. Often in the wee wee hours.

10. A cadre of oscillating fans. Chances are you won't have A/C. And it gets up into the 80s from June until sometime in Sept. If you live in a wind-blocked home or complex, or on a busy street whereby the cars create extra heat, you'll be 'sweatin to the oldies'. So, get yourself some fans and learn to circulate air efficiently and wear nothing but boxers around the house. When fall comes, you're golden til next June.

11. Be careful coming through the Tecate Mountains on I-5, west of SD (if you're arriving this way); I stalled there late at night during the cross-country trek. It came up a blizzard, we were in drug-running territory, and the Call Boxes were out. We had no cell signal. It was scary. Had we died out there, the Tribune would have run a feature story entitled "Stalled" and Hollywood woulda surely eatin it up with an eponymous feature film. (We eventually survived by jury-rigging the vehicle and praying through the entire 60 MILE-long mountain pass.) It ain't no joke out there.

When in doubt, just say "dude." Good luck. SP

Last edited by san phlegmatico; 08-14-2007 at 02:40 AM..

Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,380 times
Default When Are you leaving? From Philly too, leaving for SD next week!

When you are moving? My boyfriend and I are leaving Center City next week to make the move west to San Diego! Maybe we'll see you on the road....

Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM

2,404 posts, read 2,438,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm98 View Post
When you are moving? ...
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm98 View Post
Maybe we'll see you on the road....
You will in spirit.

Good luck, safe passage and blessings.

"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

Kerouac

Old 08-14-2007, 02:34 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,678,987 times
I just left San Diego for Philadelphia. I miss it so much. The East Coast definitely feels like a foreign country. Good luck on your move.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:57 AM

412 posts, read 707,674 times
You can see a moving check list at my web site under tools it you haven't left already.

Safe moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: