Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,311 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I´ve been reading this forum for a few days, and I´ve decided to sign in and post a few doubts I have regarding San Diego.

I am a 20 year old Spanish guy, planning to go to San diego in August 2012. I´m studying Business and Economics in the best University of Spain for this degree and the school offers me the possibility to stay 6 months in USD for the first semester of the last year. I´ve thought that if I see opportunities in SD (here we have a 21% unemployment) I could get back to Spain for another 4 months, get my degree, and come back.

The problem is I ain´t know what is going on in SD in terms of employment. I´ve search and I see California has a high unemployment rate too (but way better than Spain, though) but, Does this effect the students with an official degree?. I have thought that having english and spanish, and comming from a very well rated university might help a bit. I hope not being american (while speaking almost perfectly english) wouldn´t be an issue.

Renting a house wouldn´t be a problem at all, as I would be going with another class mate and with a friend of mine who is a starting cheff, both of my age, so the rent for the three of us wouln´t be an issue, having in mind the € is higher than the $, so the change is an advantage.

I suppose we wouldn´t be having any social problems with the girls over there, since we are all good guys, looking good and all that stuff, and quite honest and polite.

I really want to read your answers since I would be a big pitty to stay there 6 months, fall in love with the city and then have to return back home knowing we won´t be able to stay there due to the unemplyment rate.

Thank you very much for your time and regards!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:24 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
The unemployment rate in California is 12%, and really much higher when you include people who have fallen outside the system or given up. Having a degree doesn't mean much because most young people here have college degrees. I think you would need a job (sponsor) to come back and work here, you would need to get the right visa. Hard to say what the odds would be for you...it's very competitive here because San Diego is such a desirable place to live. It can't hurt to come here for 6 months for the experience you will gain though.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 PM

296 posts, read 614,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
The unemployment rate in California is 12%, and really much higher when you include people who have fallen outside the system or given up. Having a degree doesn't mean much because most young people here have college degrees.
According to this web site, only 34% of San Diegans have a BA or higher. And the unemployment rate in San Diego is 10.2%. It's not as bad as most other areas of the state.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
Having a college degree means a lot, and is incredibly valuable. Also, despite the economy and unemployment rate in San Diego, and the U.S. overall, MOST people are still employed. It is simply more difficult to get a job if you don't have one, due to the recession.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I think having a college degree depends on your field. I work in social services and was stunned how many job description postings did NOT require a degree, and these were positions that would typically require a degree in other places. I think they know the market is so bad they can advertise for a GED, know full well they will get master's applicants and pay GED wages. (to original poster GED is a high school degree). Being bi lingual is terrific for sure-in all kinds of fields where you come in contact with the public. Maybe I am just unlucky, or maybe I am "old"(43) in San Diego, but it took me 8 months to get a job-this with a masters and great work experience. I volunteered for a government agency and UCSD and am sure I would still be looking if not for that. If you are truly serious about getting a job here, you should volunteer on your own time off instead of just playing. I know in Europe vacation and relaxation if very important -as it should be to maintain a healthy life balance, but times are tough and if you really want something you are going to have to make sacrifices.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll need a visa and a sponsor to work in the States.
At any rate, take advantage of the chance to travel and see California while you can. You might make some contacts that can help you get a job here.
I might be returning to live in Spain within the next year or two, despite the sucky economy there.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,311 times
To make contacts is the first thing I´ve thought about. I mean, maybe when I get there, the USD can get their students part time jobs to help them paying their rents, and if I can get one, I could tell them"hey, I´m comming back in June, so if you are satisfyed with me you could hire me".

The last possibility is to ask for a job there with a firm my spanish university works with. I know it can be done, but I´m not sure if San Diego is a place I can ask for.

What about the salaries?. I´ve hear cost of living in SD is high. I´m in the finance part of the degree, more concretly in the Mergers and Acquisition, but know about other fields, like marketing, advertising and so no. Are these kind of jobs well paid?.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Cost of living in San Diego is high - for the United States. When compared to Europe, overall costs will seem quite reasonable or even low to you. However, Spain was always known as an inexpensive part of Europe, so the drop in costs between your home and San Diego may not be so much.

Mergers and Acquisition - that's the kind of job you go to New York, San Francisco, or maybe Dallas or Chicago. Not much call for that in San Diego.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM

123 posts, read 405,565 times
Before raising kids was our top priority, my wife worked finance, and mergers and acquisitions were a big part of the analysis work she did. This was indeed here in San Diego, and it did pay quite well.

There are plenty of companies who still have balance sheets in the black, and the savvy ones are always looking for ways to increase marketshare. While there is some serious hesitation due to the political climate, that aspect of business is not dead.

Biotech and telecom are the two industries which come to mind when I think about that field and San Diego. Start doing research on the companies around Torrey Mesa (Biotech Mesa) and Qualcomm. Try to figure out how to meet people who work in those industries. If you can get to know the right people you will have a foot in the door, then it's up to you to demonstrate your value.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Typically I'd mention how tough it is in San Diego to find a job. But as you mentioned, the unemployment rate in Spain is over 25%. And when you factor in the younger 18-35 year olds I heard it was really over 35% which is HORRIBLE. I know many people in Spain and it's horrible for them.

Fortunately with the EU they can go to other countries in Europe with a better economy. I'm not sure how easy you will find it not being an American born, American trained graduate. Plus, you wont have ANY experience at all so it won't be too desirable for employers to hire you. There are tons of people looking for jobs that have experience and most likely have more connections or contacts than you which is key in a town like San Diego.

I'd say you have an uphill battle but compared to Spain and how bad things are there, I'd say worth a shot but really work hard to make contacts/connections and probably your best shot is to do an internship somewhere and impress the heck out of them.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego