Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativesonofstpete View Post
Financially it makes sense to finish my career here and then move, but other times I think about moving out there in the near future. I'm guessing it would be very difficult to get a teaching job.

This is the most important part of your post. It absolutely makes sense to finish out your career there, especially if you're in the educational field where it's very tough here to find jobs in that field.

I think this is a no brainer that you stay in St. Petersburg until you're retired, pick up your pension and then you will have tons of options since your house will be paid off, you will be fully retired and can go from there.

Then once you retire, before you bite the bullet to uproot your life, come and rent for a few months or a full year and see how you like it.

I'm not sure how much fun it will be to get a mortgage again after your house is fully paid off and being retired. But only you know your financial situation and what is doable.

I was in Tampa and St. Pete a few months ago. I was impressed with the development in St. Pete since the last time I was there. We went to the Dali museum and it was nice and great in that area. One of our friends bought a really great apartment with amazing view in a high rise tower there. We couldn't believe how cheap they got it!

We weren't too impressed with Tampa and we saw many businesses closed and the economy there seems pretty tough as well. But St. Petersburg we enjoyed.

I think you'd be nuts to move now before retirement with only 9 years to go. What would be your game plan if you didn't find a job? You'd have to blow precious savings which isn't wise so close to retirement if you don't have to.

Also, since you're close to retirement, also think about the tax consequences of being in Florida with no State income taxes and then moving to California with plenty of state income taxes which is an important factor in retirement.

A better option for you might be to travel a bit more during the times of the year when it's uncomfortable for you. I'm not sure how nice your property is that you own in St. Petersburg but try joining a website like www.homeexchange.com They have AMAZING properties on there all around the world, including many in San Diego. So you can swap your place and travel to some interesting places. We've been amazed at some of the places we've stayed around the world in home exchanges. So far we've never had a bad experience.

Some people just get bored in their city after living in it so long. They enjoy their city and have good friends/family but they just need a little adventure which might be your case judging by what you wrote.

Good luck.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 08-27-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
^actually for you, SP sounds better! I think you are way too close to retirement (pension wise) to move. Teaching jobs are scarce. Are you able to spend a month in SD (or any other awesome place) when you are in summer vacation? that way you can get out of the heat, and enjoy the type of weather you like best. I have lived in Tampa and St. Pete and my "too hot" time was longer than yours-generally March to October. Since you surf, you probably know the water is breathtakingly cold, even with a wetsuit, compared to FL.

It sounds like you have a good gig where you are, but need to get out an explore more-maybe living at a place for a month or 2 at a time.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
nativeofstpete,

I agree with Clevelandgal and earlyretirement as usual.

I was in Clearwater a few years ago and was really impressed with that and the surrounding areas like St Petes. I couldnt believe the size of Tampa since I went there when I was really young. It really blew up.

I would recommend after retiring, to just do long term vacation rentals in SD or the CA coast since you will have the time. Maybe 2 months at a time like clevelandgal said. It will give you a ton of leverage to settle in long enough to pinch yourself and see life on a day to day basis here. You wont have a mortgage to pay off and having that kind of flexibility after going away for a bit might make you appreciate going "home" a bit more. Traveling can certainly offer that kind of perspective when your mind is open.

As someone that is semi retired and under 40, San Diego is GREAT place to live no doubt. But based on the info you provided, it really does sound like you have some things to look forward to financially where you are now. Check back after you retire and let the life of being retired settle in and see how you feel then. I am fairly certain your outlook will have changed somewhat.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 PM

16 posts, read 35,458 times
Actually, the grass here is pretty brown. But my iceplant, agave, and oleander are pretty green- and are the three plants I cannot kill no matter how hard I try!
I live in Clairemont, in a 2 bedroom condo worth about 160k in todays market. A finanacially comfortable move to San Diego might mean a downsized home. But I wouldn't give up your teaching job- my friends who are teachers have all had to move to find something decent. Clairemont, IMHO, is the most reasonably priced neighborhood that is close to the beach and not sketchy. You won't find any area to be less expensive and offer all this area does. I have lived here my whole life, work in healthcare, and unfortunately this is all I can afford. But it keeps me from hoarding things in my garage that doesn't exist!

Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 AM

258 posts, read 533,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I think anyone who thinks sunshine and good weather are the most important things in life needs their head examined.
I agree to an extent.

Having said that, people put too much emphasis on friends and family.

Too many times I have seen a "good" friend stab someone in the back. That goes for family members as well.

I am amazed sometimes the sacrifices people will make for friends and family.

Frankly, friends are pretty interchangeable in my life. I can always make new friends.

Family? Eh. How much of my life do I need to sacrifice for a family member? Should I stay near family members so I can see them more often and have the same conversations and
same bickering. It seems like all families do this.

Last edited by jwblue; 08-28-2011 at 12:25 AM..

Old 08-28-2011, 12:54 AM

18 posts, read 52,790 times
I love this post....it was right on.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I think anyone who thinks sunshine and good weather are the most important things in life needs their head examined.
Ehh, some people really need good, or at least decent weather. What I would say though is good weather won't automatically cure 99.+% of people's problems.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:53 AM

62 posts, read 86,336 times
shmoov_groovzsd, Clevelandgal, earlyretirement

Hey, thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. I guess after thinking it over, I really don't want to move, but just escape the heat of summer, I really love it here in St. Pete the rest of the year. I also like warm water (though our summer water temps. run upper 80's to near 90 is like bathwater) not a big fan of wetsuits(though here we use them for about 3 months). Surfed San Diego in July all 3 times when I visited and the water was tolerable without a wetsuit, I think upper 60's to around 70. But I think most of the year you need one.

The idea of getting another mortgage isn't very appealing while also financially restricting me in other areas. It is true we have no state income tax, plus California taxes pensions and social security whereas Florida does not (I believe). I love the idea of renting something there for 3 months when I'm retired (not now, contrary to popular belief teachers don't get 3 months off for vacation), but while Im still working maybe come out for a month. Do people rent out their homes/townhouses for only a month or two? I also imagine it is way more expensive in the summer (our season for tourists is Jan.-April when prices are increased).

Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativesonofstpete View Post
shmoov_groovzsd, Clevelandgal, earlyretirement

Hey, thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. I guess after thinking it over, I really don't want to move, but just escape the heat of summer, I really love it here in St. Pete the rest of the year. I also like warm water (though our summer water temps. run upper 80's to near 90 is like bathwater) not a big fan of wetsuits(though here we use them for about 3 months). Surfed San Diego in July all 3 times when I visited and the water was tolerable without a wetsuit, I think upper 60's to around 70. But I think most of the year you need one.

The idea of getting another mortgage isn't very appealing while also financially restricting me in other areas. It is true we have no state income tax, plus California taxes pensions and social security whereas Florida does not (I believe). I love the idea of renting something there for 3 months when I'm retired (not now, contrary to popular belief teachers don't get 3 months off for vacation), but while Im still working maybe come out for a month. Do people rent out their homes/townhouses for only a month or two? I also imagine it is way more expensive in the summer (our season for tourists is Jan.-April when prices are increased).
native,

Great idea and glad you took some time to think about it. I can say with some certairnty your dislike for the extreme heat in the summers there is not too dissimilar to folks from NV of AZ that come here every summer to escape the desert heat. Outside of that few months, ideal weather.

I have not used the services yet, but there are some very reputable long term vacation rental websites that you can use.
homeaway.com
vrbo.com

There are some others as well, but basically you can rent a house or condo out from an owner. Its a superb network as well and beats any time share network any day.
So the sort of good news is that after school starts (after you are retired) the costs to rent go down and in some cases quite a bit in the offseason.

Personally, my favorite season here in the fall. Crisp air in the mornings and evenings with just beautiful daytime temps across the county. No marine layer and the bluest skys you will ever see. Its like things get back to normal after the tourist season winds down.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM

62 posts, read 86,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
native,

Great idea and glad you took some time to think about it. I can say with some certairnty your dislike for the extreme heat in the summers there is not too dissimilar to folks from NV of AZ that come here every summer to escape the desert heat. Outside of that few months, ideal weather.

I have not used the services yet, but there are some very reputable long term vacation rental websites that you can use.
homeaway.com
vrbo.com

There are some others as well, but basically you can rent a house or condo out from an owner. Its a superb network as well and beats any time share network any day.
So the sort of good news is that after school starts (after you are retired) the costs to rent go down and in some cases quite a bit in the offseason.

Personally, my favorite season here in the fall. Crisp air in the mornings and evenings with just beautiful daytime temps across the county. No marine layer and the bluest skys you will ever see. Its like things get back to normal after the tourist season winds down.
shmoov_groovzsd,

I definetly will still visit in the summer even though it will cost more. Like the pace, plus our fall is pretty nice as well (though usually not starting until mid.october). Just yesterday Tampa set an all time high low for any day of the year at 86. Factor in the dewpoint and humidity and it is oppressive. Basically close to those conditions every day from late June to early September. July and August here is just one big long sweatfest. I see another person started a thread about wanting to move to SD. Obviously it's mostly about the weather! Don't hear too many people saying it's been their dream to move to Fargo (no offense).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego