Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
As long as you are responsible for yourself and no one else, go for it. If you have family, that is the attitude of a loser.
If you have a family and you're miserable, how the hell are you going to tell your kids, go out there and go after what you want?

They're going to say, dad, but you hate what you're doing.

And they'd be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
If you have a family and you're miserable, how the hell are you going to tell your kids, go out there and go after what you want?

They're going to say, dad, but you hate what you're doing.

And they'd be right.

A parent(s) dropping everything that he/she has invested in with a family for the sake of self assurance and perceived happiness would be a complete loser.

Its like the morons I hear that want to have a baby or be in a long term relationship that dont get in one because of some excuse like "I dont want to be like my divorced parents". Its lame and a cheap cop out of actually learning how to deal with someones own obstacles in life. If anything, a parent telling their kids to go out there after what they want would carry far more validation because they DONT want to be miserable like them. Pity vs selflessness.

As far as the update to the OP,
There are some folks, mostly middle class families that would NEVER trade off the lifestyle and support a community provides with COL. There is no beach or view that could ever replace it. There are people that I know that live here, are happy, earn a decent salary for SD, but have no interest in the ocean in their backyard, nature walks etc. They would simply prefer to have a house they can chill out in and be around their family.
I dont have kids, but have friends that do here. The bonus of living in SD if you can afford it, IS all of the above like ocean, nice weather etc. But sometimes I think the parents are more interested than the kids lol. Kids only know what they know and in somewhat limited fashion. There is no reference except maybe to compare certain kid things or events they can relate to if they have traveled.
But I know my little nephew when he visits from the east coast is pretty stoked about getting to go out all the time here. But he also loves the snow out there. We'll see how he thinks when he is on his own as an adult

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 06-25-2012 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 12:02 PM

44 posts, read 65,264 times
Sun and good weather aren't everything for sure. But once you move to a place without it, you'll miss it! I for one love being able to run 12 months out of the year in comfortable temps. But like anyplace, you get complacent and "bored" sometimes.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:21 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Actually it gets mostly golden brown for much of the year.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
A change of scenery can certainly help some folks, and sometimes it's just time for a change and you need the courage and planning to make the change of job/location. However, if you're not finding significant ways to be content and enjoy life where you are, it's very likely you will feel the same way in the next place. And likewise, if you are finding significant contentment and things to love about your current location, you likely will feel the same way in the next place.

Be very careful about making a move to someplace new when you're grumpy about where you presently are.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 AM

140 posts, read 488,819 times
Good advice, take some time making decision to move anywhere.

I see a lot of folks thinking a move will improve overall life, only to hop again in couple years.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
agree...some families might be closer to perfect and can do well if they all live in the same neighborhood...but more likely that is codependence

It is hard to move away from family initially, and friends especially if you lived in one are your whole life. But I've done it enough times now I have friends all over the place, and I've maintained good friendships at home too.

I visit my dad and my brother, the others really needed to have 2000 miles between us....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
I agree to an extent.

Having said that, people put too much emphasis on friends and family.

Too many times I have seen a "good" friend stab someone in the back. That goes for family members as well.

I am amazed sometimes the sacrifices people will make for friends and family.

Frankly, friends are pretty interchangeable in my life. I can always make new friends.

Family? Eh. How much of my life do I need to sacrifice for a family member? Should I stay near family members so I can see them more often and have the same conversations and
same bickering. It seems like all families do this.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDrelocate View Post
Good advice, take some time making decision to move anywhere.

I see a lot of folks thinking a move will improve overall life, only to hop again in couple years.
it depends on the person and their personality. I've moved a lot, but I was a geography major and into urban studies so it was kind of a natural curiosity and I knew I wouldn't stay in most of the places I went. It's a great way to grow and learn the world we live in vs. just our own small world around us. It's not for everyone but its also not as scary as many of (I think) the older set make it out to be. I think overall people are becoming more transient and its something that can really help a career these days vs. laying down roots in one place as is just the nature of the economy now.

For a teacher that is probably not true, but just saying....some people will "hop" but it doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad choice or bad experience.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
A change of scenery can certainly help some folks, and sometimes it's just time for a change and you need the courage and planning to make the change of job/location. However, if you're not finding significant ways to be content and enjoy life where you are, it's very likely you will feel the same way in the next place. And likewise, if you are finding significant contentment and things to love about your current location, you likely will feel the same way in the next place.

Be very careful about making a move to someplace new when you're grumpy about where you presently are.
I can honestly say that geography has played a huge role in my happiness in the places I've lived, from the weather, to the layout of the town, to the specific apartment or home I've lived in. Moving is hard, but usually jump starts me into making other changes I need to make in my life as well.

The personal relationships you develop are the most important (in my opinion) and if you are not particularly attached to a place, if those relationships dissolve you might just want to move again...

Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
... It's not for everyone but its also not as scary as many of (I think) the older set make it out to be. I think overall people are becoming more transient and its something that can really help a career these days vs. laying down roots in one place as is just the nature of the economy now.
Ironically, it was during the 60's that corporations started moving their executives here and there on the company's whim. So the "older set" is probably more fed up with moving than leery of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego