U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Just accepted the job offer to work in the City Center and packing up my home in Northern Cali to join the sun lovers in Sunny San Diego. I'm interested in renting a Single Family home for my husband and I somewhere within commute distance from downtown. We are emtpy nesters so we are not concerned about school districts or community parks, but we need some guidance on where we should be looking for this rental. I have quite a long commute today (about an hour one way) so a long commute won't really bother me, however I'm having some sticker shock over rental prices in SD. I'm looking for some advice on where to start looking. Some things we need to consider in location: stand alone house if possible or townhouse with garage. minimum of two bedrooms which seems difficult to find in SD and a large garage to house our motorcycle collection. I'd like to stay under $2000 a month for a nice, newer or refurbished 2/3 bed with 2 bath and garage. Is that possible anywhere in the county? Any ideas on neighborhoods or areas to start looking at listings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM

4,631 posts, read 8,905,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suesue140 View Post
Hi all:

Just accepted the job offer to work in the City Center and packing up my home in Northern Cali to join the sun lovers in Sunny San Diego. I'm interested in renting a Single Family home for my husband and I somewhere within commute distance from downtown. We are emtpy nesters so we are not concerned about school districts or community parks, but we need some guidance on where we should be looking for this rental. I have quite a long commute today (about an hour one way) so a long commute won't really bother me, however I'm having some sticker shock over rental prices in SD. I'm looking for some advice on where to start looking. Some things we need to consider in location: stand alone house if possible or townhouse with garage. minimum of two bedrooms which seems difficult to find in SD and a large garage to house our motorcycle collection. I'd like to stay under $2000 a month for a nice, newer or refurbished 2/3 bed with 2 bath and garage. Is that possible anywhere in the county? Any ideas on neighborhoods or areas to start looking at listings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
Try La Mesa or Clairemont

Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM

1,471 posts, read 2,909,424 times
or if you reconsider how much space you actually need (as many of us do when we move to lovely SD and digest sticker shock), you might find something in Golden Hill or Normal Heights. As part of a 2 wheel loving household myself I know garage space is non negotiable in your situation, but if you could get your interior space pared down (ie 2 BR 1-1.5 bath) it might open things up a bit. Shmoov G, you should be recommending your hood! I am thinking there could be some great options in LG.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
or if you reconsider how much space you actually need (as many of us do when we move to lovely SD and digest sticker shock), you might find something in Golden Hill or Normal Heights. As part of a 2 wheel loving household myself I know garage space is non negotiable in your situation, but if you could get your interior space pared down (ie 2 BR 1-1.5 bath) it might open things up a bit. Shmoov G, you should be recommending your hood! I am thinking there could be some great options in LG.
Great point Clevelandgal Hope your trip to Bakersfield went ok.

suesue,

Definitely try Lemon Grove. There are some great value rents here where I live. They are safe, no HOAs and very quiet neighborhood. Its literally 10 miles to downtown San Diego on the 94. There is also trolley access at 2 stops in LG. If you are working downtown, then definitely might want to take a look into that as parking can be a real pain downtown.

Try padmapper.com to look for house rentals in the 91945 zip code. If you have any questions about a street or part of town, just let me know with a direct message or on this thread.

For example here is a house you can get for under 2k via padmapper. Just check out the address and do a google street view to see the house.

FAMILY HOME, QUIET NEIGHBORHOOD

Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,164,481 times
Shmoov,

Someone needs to give you a key to the city there in Lemon Grove. It sounds like you do a lot of positive things for it.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Shmoov,

Someone needs to give you a key to the city there in Lemon Grove. It sounds like you do a lot of positive things for it.
Ha! Thanks ER, I think this area has some good bones and just needs some freshening up. Its definitely not 'gentrified' but am pretty certain within the next decade there will be some significant changes once some big projects come to fruition to revilatize the downtown. We'll see....

To the OP,
Lemon Grove is not the fanciest place by any means, but for a bedroom community that has held its own even during these rough economic times, it has great freeway access to/from downtown and affordable prices. Its worth taking a look at.

The problem is we live in San Diego and standards of living can be very high. There are SO many other communities that are considerably nicer to live in both aesthetically and functionally. Thus after seeing areas in Carmel Valley or cruising the coast line and looking at neighborhoods there, its tough to look at a somewhat rundown city like Lemon Grove. Apart from those aesthetics, the people here are VERY friendly and its very established with long time residents.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM

278 posts, read 681,298 times
Although I just moved from San Diego I think you will def. be able to find something -- however you are (IMHO) def. going to have to give some stuff up. I think Shmoov's right - try Lemon Grove.

The main thing is that you said "newer or refurbished"..ummm...likely that's a no. In 23 years of renting in San Diego ALL over (from South County to North County) that's very unusual in and of itself in a SFH (not too many townhomes in San Diego) --- landlords don't usually put any $$ into property...at least not at that price level. If you want newer 3/2 with a garage that's going to be way more money.

So if you really want the sun then I'd just look for something that has the size you need -- going further out. YMMV but we just covered up old carpet's with nicer rugs and I occasionally was known to paint and do some minor repairs (new faucet for example if the old one was gross or whatever) to make it seem newer....if that's really important to you --- you'll have to make some decisions.

Again only my opinion -- but if you want newer refurb you'll have to go WAY down in size you want....because the more inexpensive areas to rent in that are decent tend to be a bit older. You could luck out in somewhere like Clairemont...an old coworker of mine had a 3/2 in Clairemont with a 1 car garage that he refurbished and rented out -- $2300 and that was 5 years ago -- those people haven't moved...and he hasn't raised the rent. Market value (granite countertops, new wood floors, nice yard, nice area) is way way more.

Good luck! You can do it - just decide what you can/can not live without!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or