U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 PM

1,164 posts, read 931,733 times
I was born and raised here in CA. I have visited many areas of the U.S. since childhood, including the Midwest. I have never felt the need to bash my own state, or its residents after visiting another locale. Visiting another place, and deciding that its better for you than home is fine, but ripping on your own hometown is just not cool. MO is different from CA, not better, just different. As someone born and raised in the U.S. I consider my home of CA as "Real American" as any Midwestern State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 AM

141 posts, read 153,390 times
You got your head on straight. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! California is gonna be a real lame place when all the Obama money is gone. Just wait until after the election. Bye Bye Cali

Old 09-02-2011, 04:36 AM

137 posts, read 245,010 times
SDlife,
Every place gots its charms and warts. I've spent some time in the Midwest, east coast, city, suburb, couple small towns, even overseas a bit.

Make the most of where you live. Missouri got great bbq, catch a game a Busch stadium, ride up to the top of the.gateway arch and wonder what the early pioneers thought as they embarked on their trek westward.

Who would have thought that descendants of those hearty pioneers would end up on "Real Housewives of Orange County"

Yes my friend, embrace the differences! Don't complain too much, people don't like complainers. If you really dont like a locale, just move. Life is too short to be stewing.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 PM

955 posts, read 1,429,045 times
You guys all make great points. I just returned from Springfield, and in a way I'm kinda relieved to be back home. Coming back home to SD, it feels like your in a real city, while Springfield is more of a big suburb with no substance. Plus the weather is so refreshing! I got off the plane, and was like "Ahhh..this is Heaven" God now I know why people move to CA. Years of putting up with the crappy hot humid weather with no escape can really take a toll on people.

I enjoyed my stay none the less, I had a good time, and met some great people. I do feel that I need to travel more and see the rest of the country before deciding on where my final destination will be. I need a city with more diversity and distinction.

California is hard to beat in that category though, I will never move to AZ, NM, NV, UT, or any of those close states. Phoenix and the rest of AZ is the home for all fast food joints, it's sickening. You see it everywhere across the city. Lot's of Love's food store gas stations too.

Hopefully more people can comment about other cities they have visited and compare them to SD in a more detailed manner.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:07 PM

4,409 posts, read 4,005,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Coming back home to SD, it feels like your in a real city, while Springfield is more of a big suburb with no substance. Plus the weather is so refreshing! I got off the plane, and was like "Ahhh..this is Heaven" God now I know why people move to CA. .
When I get back from traveling, I never get tired of that feeling like when I get off the plane and step outside. Feels good doesnt it?
Really puts things into perpective, kinda like going on top of Mt Helix and looking around 360 at the goodness.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:37 PM

69 posts, read 72,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
You guys all make great points. I just returned from Springfield, and in a way I'm kinda relieved to be back home. Coming back home to SD, it feels like your in a real city, while Springfield is more of a big suburb with no substance. Plus the weather is so refreshing! I got off the plane, and was like "Ahhh..this is Heaven" God now I know why people move to CA. Years of putting up with the crappy hot humid weather with no escape can really take a toll on people.

I enjoyed my stay none the less, I had a good time, and met some great people. I do feel that I need to travel more and see the rest of the country before deciding on where my final destination will be. I need a city with more diversity and distinction.

California is hard to beat in that category though, I will never move to AZ, NM, NV, UT, or any of those close states. Phoenix and the rest of AZ is the home for all fast food joints, it's sickening. You see it everywhere across the city. Lot's of Love's food store gas stations too.

Hopefully more people can comment about other cities they have visited and compare them to SD in a more detailed manner.
Check out Chicago. It has diversity, big city life, good suburbs and its affordable. The cold weather is the only down side. I moved to San Diego recently and am still evaluating if I want to stay long term. Don't forget that if you move, you will have to find new friends which can be challenging and lead to homesickness.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 PM

4,299 posts, read 3,547,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover79 View Post
Check out Chicago. It has diversity, big city life, good suburbs and its affordable. The cold weather is the only down side. I moved to San Diego recently and am still evaluating if I want to stay long term. Don't forget that if you move, you will have to find new friends which can be challenging and lead to homesickness.

Chicago is a GREAT town and I'm originally from the Midwest. However, many people can NEVER live in Chicago. The winters are very BRUTALLY cold with the wind off the Lake as well.

It's gorgeous in the spring and fall but the winters are brutal. I could never move back to cold weather like that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego