Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times

Advertisements

Hey there forum, I am reporting at the moment from springfield MO. Im here visiting a really good friend of mine. I've been out for about 3 weeks so far, and suprisingly I feel so relieved, it's hard to explain, but for once in my life I feel like being here has opened my eyes and mind to way people live in the Mid-West. Everyone is so nice and friendly, being a Latino I never felt like people were tripping out on me. No racist slurs or anything like that, definitly some odd stairs, but nothing out of the ordainary. I acually feel more prejudged in SD than I do here. My friend lives in a very modest neighborhood, you hardly see any foreign cars here, I'm serious, all people drive is American cars. BMW, Mercedes and other japanese makes are an extremely rare site. I loved this! For once i am able to feel like a average American where money, status, and what kind of car you drive does not matter to folks out in this part of the country.

Now when I go home to SD and CA in general, I will have a totally different perspective on life, and realize that California is not the real American way of life. if anything, it's an embarrasment. Criticize all you want, but they're much better places to live in this country than outragously priced SD. Now I can understand why so many people from other states hate us, well look how a lot of us live? We are so materialistic, buy things we can't afford, and work our
asses off just to pay the mortgage or rent, at the same time, being taxed to death. It's simply not worth the struggle anymore, sure SD has many things
going for itself, but the pros are not enough personally worth staying for. If
your wealthy, upper middle class, then hey, life is good for you in SD. For the
rest of us middle class and poor folks, forget it! It's time to move on to better
places in this lovely nation.

People here are backwards to the fullest, I think 90 percent of the population are hillbilly rednecks. This is probably my biggest complaint, they are so odd
socially backward people in MO and it's surrounding states. Also everyone is so
overweight, I have never so many fat people ever! It's insane how such a large
segment of springfield is obesed. The women here are ugly, and just gross
looking. Ive seen a few diamonds, but nothing like the girls in SD. I swear
people have bad bad genes where I'm at. I've gone all over the place, even hit
up downtown springfield, and the woman are sadly unattractive.

Other than a few issues, springfield has a lot going for itself, a gazzalion places
to eat out, so many food options everywhere, a great place is a BBQ restruant
called Bandanas. oh man is there BBQ freaking awesome! They have like 5 or
6 different sauces you can try out, I loved it. I'm sure if your from the Mid-
West, you have heard of "Steak and Shake", well I'm a fan! Their burgers
taste good for a good price, but hands down they got the best shakes, way
better than IN-N-Out, their is no comparision honestly. And from the hours of
2-4 pm-am all their shakes are half off, that means that huge massive
chocolate shake is only going to cost you $1.50! Did I mention that the place is a true diner? It's going back to the 50's when diners used to be open 24 hours, steak & shake is just that.

Almost everything is way cheaper here, home are extremely cheap, gas is
lower, some food is cheaper, taxes are lower, and dining out can be done on a
budget without breaking the bank. Utilities are a killer tho, my friend always
runs A/C 24/7 because it's been so hot. The weather sucks bad and the
humidity is horrible. This alone can drive people out of the mid west, including
bad winter storms, the hot humid bug invested is more untolarable I feel than
being able to deal with the freezing cold.

Overall this city is a great place to live and to raise a family with that real
"American" way of life, which the westcoast is sadly missing. Springfield is one
huge suburb, but is does have downtown, it's on the north side. The city does
have some urban pockets, lots of older early 20th century homes that are
huge, beautiful, with full of character/charm that hasn't been destroyed by
gentrification. I just fell in love with all the brick arcitecture ( sorry for the bad
grammar, I pod syndrome). All the buildings are so bold, there is barely new
construction going on, no super modern buildings, and whatever is newish, still
looks old and has awesome character, SD looks so bland and ugly compared to
the buildings and homes that are modeled and designed in springfield. SD way
of constructing crap, is make it bright pink or peach , flat shapes, with stucco
and call it a day. Pretty boriing if you ask me. Lots of marble, concrete, rock solid materials are what is used to construct homes vs SD.

Oh it's also a relief to not see so many corporate businesses running the town,
you have lots of small businesses scattered all over Springfield, sure you got your Wal Marts, but they're no Vons, no Albertsons, or any major grocey
stores, besides for a company called Price Cutters. All there gas stations are
named " Kum & Go" lol! Some funny ass named businesses in the mid west haha, It's great to see this, unlike in SD where corporations dominate the
landscape which gives us less choices to shop.

When I return to SD soon, I will look at the city with a lot disgust. I sound
negative, but after traveling on the greyhound, stopping at many different
cities on my way to see my friend, people live way better than we do, and
deal with whatever terrible storms come their way. I just wish they were more
diversity, one major challenge for Californians moving to other states is there
isn't s whole of different races of people in places like Missouri, iowa,
Arkansas, Oklahoma etc.. Most of the diversity will be in states like Texas, Southwest, certain Southern states, Florida, and of course the East Coast.

This trip has made my decision to move out of SD much easier, more
comfortable as well. My friend is a born and raised San Diegan, and doesn't
miss much of home from what he has told me besides for the perfect weather of course. He loves his new home, including being closer to family, his biggest
appreciation is he was finally able to purchase his first home, he never would
of been able to do in SD. Life is good, and I'm so happy for him.

Last edited by sdlife619; 08-30-2011 at 05:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 05:10 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Now when I go home to SD and CA in general, I will have a totally different perspective on life, and realize that California is not the real American way of life. if anything, it's an embarrasment.
There are millions waiting to take your place. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Default Hey Life.I agree with you once again;and I'm proud you think the same.Good luck on the move!

Quote:
Hey there forum, I am reporting at the moment from springfield MO. Im here visiting a really good friend of mine. I've been out for about 3 weeks so far, and suprisingly I feel so relieved, it's hard to explain, but for once in my life I feel like being here has opened my eyes and mind to way people live in the Mid-West. Everyone is so nice and friendly, being a Latino I never felt like people were tripping out on me. No racist slurs or anything like that, definitly some odd stairs, but nothing out of the ordainary. I acually feel more prejudged in SD than I do here. My friend lives in a very modest neighborhood, you hardly see any foreign cars here, I'm serious, all people drive is American cars. BMW, Mercedes and other japanese makes are an extremely rare site. I loved this! For once i am able to feel like a average American where money, status, and what kind of car you drive does not matter to folks out in this part of the country.

Now when I go home to SD and CA in general, I will have a totally different perspective on life, and realize that California is not the real American way of life. if anything, it's an embarrasment. Criticize all you want, but they're much better places to live in this country than outragously priced SD. Now I can understand why so many people from other states hate us, well look how a lot of us live? We are so materialistic, buy things we can't afford, and work our
asses off just to pay the mortgage or rent, at the same time, being taxed to death. It's simply not worth the struggle anymore, sure SD has many things
going for itself, but the pros are not enough personally worth staying for. If
your wealthy, upper middle class, then hey, life is good for you in SD. For the
rest of us middle class and poor folks, forget it! It's time to move on to better
places in this lovely nation.

People here are backwards to the fullest, I think 90 percent of the population are hillbilly rednecks. This is probably my biggest complaint, they are so odd
socially backward people in MO and it's surrounding states. Also everyone is so
overweight, I have never so many fat people ever! It's insane how such a large
segment of springfield is obesed. The women here are ugly, and just gross
looking. Ive seen a few diamonds, but nothing like the girls in SD. I swear
people have bad bad genes where I'm at. I've gone all over the place, even hit
up downtown springfield, and the woman are sadly unattractive.

Other than a few issues, springfield has a lot going for itself, a gazzalion places
to eat out, so many food options everywhere, a great place is a BBQ restruant
called Bandanas. oh man is there BBQ freaking awesome! They have like 5 or
6 different sauces you can try out, I loved it. I'm sure if your from the Mid-
West, you have heard of "Steak and Shake", well I'm a fan! Their burgers
taste good for a good price, but hands down they got the best shakes, way
better than IN-N-Out, their is no comparision honestly. And from the hours of
2-4 pm-am all their shakes are half off, that means that huge massive
chocolate shake is only going to cost you $1.50! Did I mention that the place is a true diner? It's going back to the 50's when diners used to be open 24 hours, steak & shake is just that.

Almost everything is way cheaper here, home are extremely cheap, gas is
lower, some food is cheaper, taxes are lower, and dining out can be done on a
budget without breaking the bank. Utilities are a killer tho, my friend always
runs A/C 24/7 because it's been so hot. The weather sucks bad and the
humidity is horrible. This alone can drive people out of the mid west, including
bad winter storms, the hot humid bug invested is more untolarable I feel than
being able to deal with the freezing cold.

Overall this city is a great place to live and to raise a family with that real
"American" way of life, which the westcoast is sadly missing. Springfield is one
huge suburb, but is does have downtown, it's on the north side. The city does
have some urban pockets, lots of older early 20th century homes that are
huge, beautiful, with full of character/charm that hasn't been destroyed by
gentrification. I just fell in love with all the brick arcitecture ( sorry for the bad
grammar, I pod syndrome). All the buildings are so bold, there is barely new
construction going on, no super modern buildings, and whatever is newish, still
looks old and has awesome character, SD looks so bland and ugly compared to
the buildings and homes that are modeled and designed in springfield. SD way
of constructing crap, is make it bright pink or peach , flat shapes, with stucco
and call it a day. Pretty boriing if you ask me. Lots of marble, concrete, rock solid materials are what is used to construct homes vs SD.

Oh it's also a relief to not see so many corporate businesses running the town,
you have lots of small businesses scattered all over Springfield, sure you got your Wal Marts, but they're no Vons, no Albertsons, or any major grocey
stores, besides for a company called Price Cutters. All there gas stations are
named " Kum & Go" lol! Some funny ass named businesses in the mid west haha, It's great to see this, unlike in SD where corporations dominate the
landscape which gives us less choices to shop.

When I return to SD soon, I will look at the city with a lot disgust. I sound
negative, but after traveling on the greyhound, stopping at many different
cities on my way to see my friend, people live way better than we do, and
deal with whatever terrible storms come their way. I just wish they were more
diversity, one major challenge for Californians moving to other states is there
isn't s whole of different races of people in places like Missouri, iowa,
Arkansas, Oklahoma etc.. Most of the diversity will be in states like Texas, Southwest, certain Southern states, Florida, and of course the East Coast.

This trip has made my decision to move out of SD much easier, more
comfortable as well. My friend is a born and raised San Diegan, and doesn't
miss much of home from what he has told me besides for the perfect weather of course. He loves his new home, including being closer to family, his biggest
appreciation is he was finally able to purchase his first home, he never would
of been able to do in SD. Life is good, and I'm so happy for him.
I feel ya life.I say the same thing everyday when I wake up.What am I paying for here in San Diego?For what I get it is extremely overpriced and for what I pay for,SD doesn't really offer too much.I work two jobs,don't even have my own place and I literally make it paycheck to paycheck.I have friends that have college degrees,but they are working at a Jack In The Box if that.I understand it's like that across the nation due to the economy and job market,but when rent in some of SD's roughest hoods is north of $1,050 for a 1&1,that just makes the gap wider.Move somewhere else and the struggle won't be as bad.And yes.I understand where you are coming from when you say people from other places look down on San Diego or CA in general.I see it when I have out of town/state visitors at work,or when I travel other places.I'm almost ashamed to say I am from/live here because a majority of the people here make me shake my head.I'm counting down the days until my move out of San Diego(if it does happen).I have been trying for four years myself so this to me might be one of my biggest goals that I have ever achieved.And don't worry about the haters on the form;we both have an opinion that we think and it's pretty much the truth.But I guess some people can't handle the truth.Speak your mind,state your statements.People either get it,or they don't.Plain and simple

Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
I do think you sound negative, but fairly so. I completely agree ... there are a lot of things "wrong" here and different things that are "wrong" with other places. Substitute "right" for "wrong" and it is equally true - just sounds less negative. But you provided a really good comparison.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
sdlife,

I may not always agree with your slant on things, but there is some truth to your observations.

It really takes some courage to leave a bubble and not be such a townie about things. Its healthy as it gives one perspective on what is really important to that individual. This clearly was an eye opening trip and you saw the pros and cons which appears to have struck a chord in you. Ultimately that is what life is all about, being inspired to do something.
However like any other city I have lived in, townies can hate where they grew up especially if they never felt comfortable there in the first place. I dont know what its like to be in your shoes growing up here as MexAmerican but you dont view as too positively. I respect that.

Its the folks like yourself that move out of just about any city I have ever been to and met locals. When all the sunshine and roses are gone, you realize that it comes to survivability and where you can best fit based on things like cost of living. For what you could care less about or have least high on your list of priorities, San Diego doesnt fit the bill it seems. So just as you look at where you are right now and accept some facts of life, there are people like me or newcomers that see it fresh for the first time and see the potential, not the personal history you have attached to it.
For example, I can move into a place like Lemon Grove which is no shining star of SD and help give it some vision as best as I can because I dont think like you....which is more acceptance of the status quo. In ANY city I have been there are plenty of dissenters like yourself that grew up in some negative light and "Cant wait to go" or have a similar trip to yours and 'see the light'.
If you are inspired enough to feel that if you move somewhere and can contribute in your own way, then you just made the world a better place. Why waste your life being in a place you cannot stand?

I think this thread should be a good example to anyone that feels that they are trapped where they are. Go out and see the world. You may come back to where you are from and decide to leave or stay because you learned to appreciate differently.

Good luck

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 08-30-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Well Springfield, Missouri is MUCH different vs. San Diego. That is definitely for sure. I’ve been there before as well as most states in the Midwest. I’m from the Midwest originally and I find people there are much more grounded, friendlier and down to earth. I also find more people that live within their means there.

Like Shmoov, I can’t pretend to understand how it would feel to be a Latino in San Diego or life in general so I can’t comment on that part.

Definitely you will have a much more realistic picture of average America from a town like Springfield vs. San Diego or other cities in Coastal California.

When you say, “California is not the real American way of life”. I would agree with you to an extent but I don’t think it’s just limited to California. The same thing goes on in other areas as well where people live beyond their means. But it does seem obvious to me it happens here on a much larger scale.

The thing that I’ve noticed with people that I’ve known, is that even intelligent people that should understand common sense and spending above their means, seem to get caught up more in it in San Diego vs. other cities. I think there is more “keeping up with the Jones” here in San Diego vs. other areas. People don’t seem to throw in the towel until many many years or the end when they can’t pretend any longer. There must be something in the water here..ha ha.

Not everyone in San Diego lives above their means. I do agree with you that the upper class and wealthy and upper middle class here have it fairly good. But for the lower class or even middle class struggling to survive paycheck to paycheck ….there are much better places around the country to live.

Some of your comments were funny about how hillbilly some people are in the Midwest. It’s not that way in every city but definitely I agree you will see more of it in the Midwest and also the South and also places like Kentucky and Tennessee and other places I’ve visited.

And the obesity is true. Many just don’t watch their weight in other areas. In California people are much more conscious about their appearance.

You also mentioned the women are more beautiful here. I’d agree with you. But you also have to factor in that many many females in California get cosmetic surgery. Tummy tucks, nose jobs, breast augmentations, botox, lipsuction, etc. Still, I agree there are a higher percentage of beautiful girls in California even discounting the plastic surgery.

Definitely the cost of living is much lower in the Midwest vs. California. People have to really factor in the difference in pricing of everything including fuel and also taxes. The biggest difference is in the cost of real estate. You can buy a McMansion there for the cost of a dumpy house here in San Diego.

There are definitely some beautiful cities to live in besides San Diego. And even cities that aren’t beautiful but where the economy is booming. So people always have to evaluate what is the best for them long-term and prioritize what is important to them.

If there is one thing about this Great Recession..it is causing people to realize that something has to change. Many are moving out of San Diego during this Recession and probably many more will….which is probably the best decision they can make.

Good luck with your move.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 PM

I thank you guys for your comments and encouragement. I return home in a few days, so I will come back and let everyone know how I feel about SD, in a more complete form.

A lot of newbies that are fresh to San Diego are people that can't wait to move to SD from their small town in America somewhere. I understand the reasons to leave, be it you want better weather, a bigger city to be in, beaches, California lifestyle, living amongst beautiful people etc....

But you have to ask yourself, what are your long term goals? Are you really moving to the westcoast to soak up the lifestyle only for a couple of years? Or do you want to settle down, start a family? If so, you better be prepared for COL differences compared to your smallish or mid sized town. If you enjoy all the recreational activities that SD has to offer, then maybe it's worth for you to live here, as for myself, I don't surf, mountain bike or do any of that stuff, besides for playing football and B-Ball for fun. So I won't miss SD's recreational offerings. I'm in a point in my life where I want be able to work, without feeling like I'm being ripped off month to month. I want to eventually buy a home, settle down, and live decently without the feeling of being robbed from my landlord and the state.

Hopefully sometime next year I will be out of SD. I need to send in some applications depending on where I want live, I'm not sure yet on what city my choice will be, it's up in the air, at least I got an idea where. You can buy homes in Springfield for dirt cheap, $60,000 for a big house with a huge yard. Plus this is a very clean city, many neighborhoods are well kept, and it's streets are in excellent condition compared to back home where the streets are lumpy/ pothole ridden.

Anyways it's been a nice refreshing trip, my stress levels have gone away, I don't feel angry or annoyed by my surroundings. I thought I truly was going to hate it here, some sections of town is country, but I was shocked how easy everything is laid out. The streets is grid based, so it's very easy to get around. In SD since some places are not grid based, it makes traveling a pain because depending in where your heading, the freeway is your only option. Also, El Cajon Blvd and Uni Ave are our only real main drags, Springfield has multiple main drags, from Battlefield ave, to S. Campbell, Sunshine, Glenstone, and others. All our wide avenues and boulevards. It's cool how commercial property is nicely blended in with housing development in Springfield. It allows for a corner burger joint, gas station, and other businesses which are close by. You can ride your bike, and get to places fairly quickly if you choose. I liked this.

Very different from Charlotte NC which actually felt more country and rural than here in Springfield. this was a biggie for me, I don't like the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. It's woody in springfield, but not to the point where the forest is all there is to look at. Yeah I feel great!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM

I believe CA is a speck of what America is like, CA should be it's own country I swear! Parts of SD is very typical of other cities in the US, but not nearly as much as the Mid West and South. I am starting to think that it's because CA and SD is progressive, than the slow moving backwards thinking Southerners and Mid Western folks, no offence. So many things in SD is much newer and modernized, while in the Mid West it's like everything got stuck in time from the 1940's-60's. In a way it's kinda cool to see, because high fashion, and driving the latest Mercedes S-Class is unheard of. All the homes still have the original window frame, even the paint looks 50 years old lol. It's great!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
I thank you guys for your comments and encouragement. I return home in a few days, so I will come back and let everyone know how I feel about SD, in a more complete form.

A lot of newbies that are fresh to San Diego are people that can't wait to move to SD from their small town in America somewhere. I understand the reasons to leave, be it you want better weather, a bigger city to be in, beaches, California lifestyle, living amongst beautiful people etc....

But you have to ask yourself, what are your long term goals? Are you really moving to the westcoast to soak up the lifestyle only for a couple of years? Or do you want to settle down, start a family? If so, you better be prepared for COL differences compared to your smallish or mid sized town. If you enjoy all the recreational activities that SD has to offer, then maybe it's worth for you to live here, as for myself, I don't surf, mountain bike or do any of that stuff, besides for playing football and B-Ball for fun. So I won't miss SD's recreational offerings. I'm in a point in my life where I want be able to work, without feeling like I'm being ripped off month to month. I want to eventually buy a home, settle down, and live decently without the feeling of being robbed from my landlord and the state.

Hopefully sometime next year I will be out of SD. I need to send in some applications depending on where I want live, I'm not sure yet on what city my choice will be, it's up in the air, at least I got an idea where. You can buy homes in Springfield for dirt cheap, $60,000 for a big house with a huge yard. Plus this is a very clean city, many neighborhoods are well kept, and it's streets are in excellent condition compared to back home where the streets are lumpy/ pothole ridden.

Anyways it's been a nice refreshing trip, my stress levels have gone away, I don't feel angry or annoyed by my surroundings. I thought I truly was going to hate it here, some sections of town is country, but I was shocked how easy everything is laid out. The streets is grid based, so it's very easy to get around. In SD since some places are not grid based, it makes traveling a pain because depending in where your heading, the freeway is your only option. Also, El Cajon Blvd and Uni Ave are our only real main drags, Springfield has multiple main drags, from Battlefield ave, to S. Campbell, Sunshine, Glenstone, and others. All our wide avenues and boulevards. It's cool how commercial property is nicely blended in with housing development in Springfield. It allows for a corner burger joint, gas station, and other businesses which are close by. You can ride your bike, and get to places fairly quickly if you choose. I liked this.

Very different from Charlotte NC which actually felt more country and rural than here in Springfield. this was a biggie for me, I don't like the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. It's woody in springfield, but not to the point where the forest is all there is to look at. Yeah I feel great!
SDlife your posts always intrigue me but in a good way. Sounds like the midwest should be on my list of places to visit. I've only traveled up and down the west coast. Despite what people in the PNW think, it too isn't a whole lot different from California really. The differences on the west coast cities seem minor in comparison. With that said, I'm moving back to Norcal soon LOL.

Over the years, I have worked with a lot of people from the midwest. One of the things they would tell me is how they miss the more family oriented atmosphere of the midwestern states. I'm not quite sure what that means so perhaps you can shed some light on it since you may be observing that. Many of these people after a while ended up moving back home; some to Michigan others to Mo. etc.

As far as the real American way of life, some may not actually want that. Some may want one of California's several lifestyles. I personally identify more with California than with America. Maybe this is because I haven't been to the "real America" (OMG I sound like Curmudgeon LOL). This doesn't mean I wouldn't want to take a trip and have this experience. Yes the weather there would kill me, especially in summer.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 PM

I too relate to the California way of life, than the American way. If that make any sense. So yes, I was intrigued and surprised on how different people are over here im MO. Everywhere I have gone to, grocery store, gas station, burger joint, you see more happy people, very friendly and well spoken. It's like they want to make sure that your well taken care of. It doesn't feel forced or faked, when they say " have a great day" or " take care". Your talking about folks that work for nothing, yet still have a positive attitude.

For example the time me and my friend went to the steak n shake to order some food, the waitress was telling us what we should try, and how her grandmother and friends always love the Double chocolate oreo shake. She was talking to us for a good few minutes. I have never had a waiter or waitress have a long conversation like that. In SD it's quick, and business like. It's also easier to talk to random people from my experience, they're less closed. That open friendliness is a factor I believe. Of course not everybody is is like that, but you sense it and noticed it more here than you do in SD.

Some people are just plain weird though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego