Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:49 PM

58 posts, read 175,648 times

Advertisements

I am not part of an HOA.

I have a single car garage, I have the walls lined with storage on one side and tools on the other.

I have gym mats on the center of the floor and some gym equipment in there as well. I plan on using it to work out in.

I was told by someone that it is not legal in San Diego to use your garage as a "living space"

Now regardless of what peoples opinions are I'm looking for specific city ordinances or codes that say you can or can not;

A. use your garage as a living space?

and

B. if you can't, what constitutes a living space.

and

C. if all of the above is true then am I required to park my car in the garage instead of on the street?

I actually called the city, and they seemed to think it wasn't a big deal and even said "everyone does that" but she would look into it for me. Again, that was just the persons opinion so I'm looking for public laws and regulations.

In the meantime I thought maybe someone here would know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,540,597 times
Are you inside San Diego (or other) city limits, or are you in unincorporated San Diego County?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Are you inside San Diego (or other) city limits, or are you in unincorporated San Diego County?
I'm in the city. Central

Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM

15,109 posts, read 32,119,385 times
It's not like you're actually living in it, you're just using it for other purposes that keeping your car in it. I know someone in El Cajon that turned her garage into a dance studio, complete with hardward flooring and mirrors. I have another friend in Clairemont that has a one car garage, and her car doesn't even fit in it. She uses it for her washer/dryer and storage.

I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It's not like you're actually living in it, you're just using it for other purposes that keeping your car in it. I know someone in El Cajon that turned her garage into a dance studio, complete with hardward flooring and mirrors. I have another friend in Clairemont that has a one car garage, and her car doesn't even fit in it. She uses it for her washer/dryer and storage.

I don't think it's going to be a problem.
I don't "think" so either, but I would like to be able to point to some conclusive regulations or code to show this person who is telling me otherwise.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,232,264 times
Garage Conversions, Neighborhood Code Compliance Department

Might help...

Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 PM

745 posts, read 1,561,216 times
According to our community liaison officer it is illegal to use your garage in the City of San Diego for uses that prohibit you parking your car in it. That said, as long as no one is complaining the City is probably not going to track you are anyone else down for this violation. The officer did say if your garage is full of junk and couldn't possibly hold a car it would be wise not to leave the door open for all to see because you could be reported. Can't tell you what the code is. I did not ask.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 AM

4,524 posts, read 12,333,515 times
I think the key thing about keeping the garage available for parking the car, is to keep it so the garage door still functions. Whether or not it's so full of junk you can't park in it, is your own business. But if the garage door works then it is still legally a garage.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:11 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,128,158 times
This is actually a very complicated question, there are many aspects and some of them depend on the specific locale. E.g. laws in Poway are slightly different from laws in San Diego, and people in unincorporated county have it easiest.

I am not a lawyer, but here's my general understanding:

- Your garage is a parking space, a habitable space, or both. A habitable space means any room where you spend time, other than a storage room or a bathroom.
- If your garage is a parking space, you don't have to park there, but you are not supposed to use it for any purpose other than parking your car. (specific to City of San Diego - San Diego Municipal Code, §142.0510(a))
- If you wish to use your garage as a habitable space, it must conform to a number of safety standards, such as, there must be lighting, there must be ventilation, and it may need to have a door in addition to garage doors (fairly universal - California Building Code)
- If you wish to turn your garage into a habitable space, you must construct new parking spaces to replace the ones you just destroyed. This may not even be possible if you have a typical 5000 sf lot, because you can't put new parking spaces between the house and the street, they have to be to the side or behind the house. There are other restrictions. (specific to City of San Diego)
- If you are going to put beds in the converted garage, that makes it a "sleeping area" and there are additional requirements, e.g. you are not allowed to have a water heater there. (universal)

That's all theory. In practice, no one really cares what you do in your garage, unless:

- You put beds there and try to rent it out to illegal immigrants
- Or you take down garage doors and replace them with solid walls
- Or you fill your garage with junk and then all members of your household end up parking in the street in front of the house.

The city has far more regulations than inspectors capable of tracking down all offenders. Unless you do something blatantly visible from the street or someone reports you, you're unlikely to get into any trouble.

Last edited by esmith143; 09-01-2011 at 03:28 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 03:22 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Just dont go around the neighborhood telling people & dont leave your garage door open. Neighborhoods are full of snitches who have no lives & want to disrupt yours. Dont let this happen to you.
How to Report a Violation | http://mlvb.net/www.sandiego.gov/nccd/zoning/~~/report/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego