Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
As I recall, you lived in Oceanside, not SD, and you recently left home for college. Please don't give your opinion through the eyes of a middle school kid.
I did live in Oceanside for 3 years; for the other 4 years, I was in San Diego proper (University City). And I'm not in middle school; odd that you'd say that, since you mentioned in your post that I'm a college student. Accept that people have different opinions than you instead of being rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 11:20 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Not sure I agree that Southern California can't hold a candle to Hawaii in terms of scenery. As for the Pacific Asian feel, there is a huge element of that in OC and thus again, I cannot agree.

As for having things in common with HI, Southern California does. Surfing, dressing-down, warm climates, palm trees, etc. are all examples that are obvious.
You're right that SoCal is beautiful, warm, nice beaches, and there are many Asians there. I didn't dispute that. However, Hawaii, IMO and in the opinion of many others, is more beautiful with better weather (warmer winters, more rainfall, warmer nighttime temperatures) and better beaches, and the Pacific-Asian feel is much stronger in Honolulu, and probably the rest of the state, than it is in California. This probably has to do with the fact that there are so many other ethnicities in CA so that one group isn't totally dominating the region. In Honolulu, it's mostly East Asians and Pacific Islanders who dominate the area, just as in Miami it's people from the Caribbean & Latin America, or Italians in New Jersey, Irish in Boston, etc.

Yes, SoCal has palm trees and warm weather. But the weather in SoCal is obviously not as warm as what can be found in Hawaii. Which brings me to my next point: Hawaii has more of a variety in species of palms that can be grown there, than does California.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
You're right that SoCal is beautiful, warm, nice beaches, and there are many Asians there. I didn't dispute that. However, Hawaii, IMO and in the opinion of many others, is more beautiful with better weather (warmer winters, more rainfall, warmer nighttime temperatures) and better beaches, and the Pacific-Asian feel is much stronger in Honolulu, and probably the rest of the state, than it is in California. This probably has to do with the fact that there are so many other ethnicities in CA so that one group isn't totally dominating the region. In Honolulu, it's mostly East Asians and Pacific Islanders who dominate the area, just as in Miami it's people from the Caribbean & Latin America, or Italians in New Jersey, Irish in Boston, etc.

Yes, SoCal has palm trees and warm weather. But the weather in SoCal is obviously not as warm as what can be found in Hawaii. Which brings me to my next point: Hawaii has more of a variety in species of palms that can be grown there, than does California.
I more or less agree with the above but think California outdoes HI when all other factors are considered. We sort of, agree.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:10 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
San Diegans don't care. Many, if not most, are transplants from Orange County and LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego