Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times

Advertisements

Just bringing this up because I saw an ESPN video made a couple of weeks ago in which a reporter asked San Diego Charger fans questions, and most of them said they hate L.A., that most true Charger fans will not become Charger fans if the Charges move to L.A.(which I doubt they will, I doubt L.A. will get a team, I'll believe it when it happens), anyway, what about Orange County? do most San Diego residents consider Orange County as part of L.A.? or separate from L.A.? here is the video I am talking about: Chargers Fans Want Team to Stay - ESPN Video - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn%3A6855348 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times
it's because I thought the bigger rivalry, main-state rivalry in california was the Bay Area and Southern California, thats why.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
I grew up and spent most of my life in San Diego, but I've also lived in Los Angeles, Riverside, and Orange Counties - and I still spend a lot of time in all four counties - but most people I know tend to stick within about an hour or so of their homes. They go to whatever larger city is closest to them, but you don't see a lot of people from LA coming to San Diego on a whim, or vice versa. In fact, to encourage it, San Diego runs ads on TV in LA, to get people there to come down for a weekend getaway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
What do San Diegan's think of Orange County? do they hate Orange County just like they hate L.A.? or don't care?
Sports fans may express "hate" for LA or wherever, but that's just rivalry - and doesn't reflect the feelings of the majority of the population

That said, there are some people in San Diego who avoid the big city at all costs, so they won't go to LA. But Orange County? Not so much. If they have a reason to go, they'll go, but it's not like it's a big priority for most people - unless they have children and want to go to Disneyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
do most San Diego residents consider Orange County as part of L.A.? or separate from L.A.?
We're close enough that most San Diegans know the difference between Orange County and LA! Not all do, but most do.

In my opinion, you won't find much hate here - that's too strong of an emotion - what you will find is disinterest. If they can find a beach, a shopping center, a concert, a fancy restaurant, or whatever in their own area, they don't feel the need to venture that far away very often.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Well I would pissed if the Chargers ever moved to LA, simply because they are all Raider fans up there, and talk a lot of **** when they come down to SD.

As for LA itself, I enjoy the city, I have family up there so I can't hate, I like it better than SD. San Diegans that talk smack about LA are the ones that have no business visiting the city of Angels. They stay in this bubble which is San Diego, and never venture off to other places. I know some San Diegans that haven't been to LA in over 15 years. The stereotypes are alive in well about LA being this or that, and people are complaining down here that SD is slowly becoming like LA, be it from having too many illegals to more traffic.

LA has many advantages that SD will never have, that's what I look at rather than just the negative aspects of LA. Coming from LA to SD can be a rough transition, because of San Diegos limited things to see and do compared to the bigger city. I have cousins that have came down from Carson to San Diego and can't stand it here. They all tell me that SD is too slow for them, gets boring to fast, the people are not as cool, too conservative, and lack of true diversity and that food also
sucks. That's their take.

OC, I have some love for since I used to live in north OC. It's ok I guess, nothing special, its almost like an extention of LA, just cleaner and richer.

If the Chargers do move up north, out of respect the spanos family should rename the team So Cal Chargers or even California Chargers so they won't alienate San Diego fans, and **** us off. I will have much more appreciation for them and still support the team.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:47 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
I like LA.I like Orange County more.I think it's stupid that SD people bash LA.Most of the time it's for stupid reasons.As for the Chargers going to LA,I still will be a Charger fan.Did the people in LA drop being Raider fans?obviously not.

The one thing I absolutely hate is when people link Orange County with Los Angeles.
Another person:"Ohh I'm going to LA"
Me:"Where you going"
Another person:"Disneyland"
Me:"Thats OC(Anaheim) not LA"

It's even kind of fun when people try to argue with me claiming that they swear it's part of LA.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:39 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
I like LA.I like Orange County more.I think it's stupid that SD people bash LA.Most of the time it's for stupid reasons.As for the Chargers going to LA,I still will be a Charger fan.Did the people in LA drop being Raider fans?obviously not.

The one thing I absolutely hate is when people link Orange County with Los Angeles.
Another person:"Ohh I'm going to LA"
Me:"Where you going"
Another person:"Disneyland"
Me:"Thats OC(Anaheim) not LA"

It's even kind of fun when people try to argue with me claiming that they swear it's part of LA.
I wouldnt be surprised if anyone that has been engaged in the conversation above knew that Europe, wasnt in fact, a country.

But then again I have met locals here that dont know a thing (eg anywhere there arent malls) about San Diego and they were raised here

Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I love OC! LA, not so much, never go there. I really hope the Chargers don't move to LA...but I wouldn't be surprised if Al Davis moves the Raiders back there, which the brand new stadium and all. I heard on media that LA is considering two teams for LA.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I think most of what your hearing as far as football fans is just friendly smack talk, but it's true that many San Diegans proudly exclaim their hate for L.A., and mostly shrug at O.C.

I loathe Orange County- nothing but plan developed to an inch of its life, superficial conspicuous consumption. The same population as San Diego county and one fifth the size? Yikes! There is no vibe, no edge, no center- it's sunny Stepford. I drive through there as quickly as possible on my way to totally cool-full of culture, life, history, great distinct neighborhoods and architecture L.A.. We go there at least once a quarter to take in the big city and various events and exhibits at museums as well as pick out a couple of neighborhoods to explore- walking tours of downtown or something.

I love living in San Diego, but at least I think I could find and create an interesting life in L.A. as well- even as the traffic and smog would grind on me to be sure. Having to live in O.C.?-I would feel I'd been sentenced for something really really bad that I did, so I certainly wouldn't go there for a football game.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Dig the beach areas, inland? No thanks.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if anyone that has been engaged in the conversation above knew that Europe, wasnt in fact, a country.

But then again I have met locals here that dont know a thing (eg anywhere there arent malls) about San Diego and they were raised here ;)
I thought that was just me that had that experience. It amazes how little people here know about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego