Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 PM

141 posts, read 286,815 times

Advertisements

Today while I was in Ocean Beach In front of South Beach Bar a large female transient attacked and beat a tourist. The tourist tried to flee the attack but the transient pursued the tourist. The wife of the tourist was on the phone to 911 and was asking for some one to help. No one was defending the tourist which lead a citizen and off duty security defending and placing the transient under arrest. The transient fought with the citizen and struck him several times, with the help of security from a local bar he was able to get handcuffs on her. This woman was out of control, intoxicated and heavy and strong. When San Diego police arrived several of the transients hippy friends stated it was not her fault, that she should just be let go to attack another tourist.
The local bars and liquor store need to STOP SELLING BOOZE TO TRANSIENTS.
This transient was yelling **** you call 911 they wont do anything. She is right, SDPD is not doing the job they need to do by arresting and keeping these violent dangerous people off the street. Ocean Beach is overrun by drug addicts and transients and is unsafe.
My suggestion is don't visit or spend any money in OB until the city cleans it up, it is the dirtiest beach in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
I sort of think you are blowing this out of proportion.First off,tourists are people as well as locals;bottom line is anyone can get beat.As for it being "overrun"?Not by any means in my book.There is a good number of them but your making it seem like all I'm going to see there is drug addicts and transients everywhere.That is definitely not the case.I notice locals,tourists,students,business owners,you name it,it's there.People are visiting from Arizona,New Mexico,Texas,Midwest,E.Coast,where ever and I'm very sure most of them have good things to say about Ocean Beach.Some may say it is a little rough around the edges but as a whole OB is fine.As for it being "dirtiest beach" well it's an Urban Beach.Just like MB and Pacific Beach to the north.It's not Encinitas,Newport,Carlsbad,or any other "prestige" beach on the image meter.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
OB is a little grimey buts that part of its image. rough around the edges. i wouldnt go so far as to say "beware". i mean no matter where you are, you should be aware of surroundings and be prepared to defend yourself if necessary. no matter how big this fat bum was, a good palm (strike) to the nose will take anyone off of their feet.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:07 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
OB is a little grimey buts that part of its image. rough around the edges. i wouldnt go so far as to say "beware". i mean no matter where you are, you should be aware of surroundings and be prepared to defend yourself if necessary. no matter how big this fat bum was, a good palm (strike) to the nose will take anyone off of their feet.

I have visited there when I was in town. I would not go back before I heard this. Now, knowing this I will make sure my friends and family do not go there. The city needs to clean up that area if they want the tourist $$$$

Old 09-02-2011, 03:33 PM

128 posts, read 284,898 times
I like OB. It's has some funky neat antique stores there. And of course Hodads (YUMMMY). I noticed last time we where there it had a youth hostel. Never saw that before. That being said, I would feel safe during the day but probably not at night.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:38 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
Hey come on now, the transient wanted the tourist to participate in the cultural diversity of the state. It would be racist to stop selling booze to them.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:42 PM

541 posts, read 861,081 times
I like visiting OB during the daytime with friends but I did notice when it started to get dark that the people hanging around changed to what appeared to be a "rough" crowd. We got a lot of stares from several tough looking possibly homeless dudes who seemed to be sizing us up. My friends and I had noticed this a couple of times so we don't go there at night.

Beachrescue, what time did the incident occur?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:48 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
What did you get to San Diego?
OB and south mission Beach was and always will be grimey

Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM

258 posts, read 533,723 times
People have to know how to deal with these belligerent transients. Usually these transients are provoked.

If they say something insulting, walk away. You have a right to say something back, but think what it could lead to. Why would anyone care what a drunk transient says to you anyway?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
Today while I was in Ocean Beach In front of South Beach Bar a large female transient attacked and beat a tourist. The tourist tried to flee the attack but the transient pursued the tourist. The wife of the tourist was on the phone to 911 and was asking for some one to help. No one was defending the tourist which lead a citizen and off duty security defending and placing the transient under arrest. The transient fought with the citizen and struck him several times, with the help of security from a local bar he was able to get handcuffs on her. This woman was out of control, intoxicated and heavy and strong. When San Diego police arrived several of the transients hippy friends stated it was not her fault, that she should just be let go to attack another tourist.
This transient was yelling **** you call 911 they wont do anything. She is right, SDPD is not doing the job they need to do by arresting and keeping these violent dangerous people off the street. Ocean Beach is overrun by drug addicts and transients and is unsafe.
My suggestion is don't visit or spend any money in OB until the city cleans it up, it is the dirtiest beach in California
nuff said
Attached Thumbnails
Tourist beware. Transients beat tourist in Ocean Beach-bumstick.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego