Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 23,538 times

Advertisements

Did one of those silly things misstepping on a small carpet rolled so it was about an inch off the floor. Stepped wrong and rolled my foot bad 8 weeks ago.

Didn't go to the doctor as I felt nothing broken. Did all the correct things, elevated, iced, stayed in bed, after a few days made sure I rotated it back and forth for the motion etc.

I babied it for a month really staying off of it -- used crutches first week.

When I started walking on it the outer side Fibula hurt and still does. Now I feel the bone and it feels like a big lump on it whereas the right side unhurt ankle is smooth in this area. (It's just above that round bone on the outside of your ankle).

It doesn't hurt so much that I can't stand it or take any pain killer. It just feels like something's out of whack and it's a pinching kind of pain when I walk or move it. Obviously I can't stand on my left foot and raise myself with the one foot---get an inch off the floor.

Now I'm concerned that the bone fractured or something and I've left it out of kilter for 2 months. Can't see the dr until 9/16. Anyone care to comment on what I've done or why it's so enlarged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
ER/Urgent Care and xray.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Try the Health and Wellness forum.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 849 times
Red face Non-displaced left broken fibula

A trip to the ER and an x-ray will confirm whether or not you broke a bone. 0n 11/11/15, I tripped over a doggie gate in my kitchen and it turned out that I broke my left fibula about an inch above my ankle. It was a non-displaced break which means the bones were sitting aligned still--didn't require surgery.

I was put in a fiberglass splint which drove me nuts. Day 12, I went back to the ER and begged the doc to take it off and replace it with my own plastic stirrup splint until I see ORTHO on 11/30/15. He did with me promising that I WOULD NOT TRY TO WALK ON IT.

I purchased an aircast walking boot to bring to my ORTHO because I was determined to NOT get a cast. The doc had me hang my foot sideways to check if the tendons on the inside of my ankle were holding up--which they were! My doc suggested a CAST for 3 weeks, seeng as it's normally 6-8 weeks in a cast for a bone break. Since I survived almost 3 weeks already with no cast, I don't see why I couldn't continue with my stirrup splint. Since I don't work and my hubby is retired, the doc agreed and I'm supposed to see him in 3 weeks--end of December, at which time, he will probably give me the okay to start trying to bear weight on my left foot and start using my aircast walking boot with crutches.

This is the first bone break ever in all of my 52 years... and it can be scary and depressing. Thank God for my husband who takes wonderful care of me and who makes sure my mind is always busy! Our Scrabble board is getting a good workout these days! Just know that with each day, YOU ARE GETTING BETTER!!... and those pains firing around your ankle and foot are part of the healing process.

I wish you luck with your recovery!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:38 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI_PINA View Post
A trip to the ER and an x-ray will confirm whether or not you broke a bone. 0n 11/11/15, I tripped over a doggie gate in my kitchen and it turned out that I broke my left fibula about an inch above my ankle. It was a non-displaced break which means the bones were sitting aligned still--didn't require surgery.

I was put in a fiberglass splint which drove me nuts. Day 12, I went back to the ER and begged the doc to take it off and replace it with my own plastic stirrup splint until I see ORTHO on 11/30/15. He did with me promising that I WOULD NOT TRY TO WALK ON IT.

I purchased an aircast walking boot to bring to my ORTHO because I was determined to NOT get a cast. The doc had me hang my foot sideways to check if the tendons on the inside of my ankle were holding up--which they were! My doc suggested a CAST for 3 weeks, seeng as it's normally 6-8 weeks in a cast for a bone break. Since I survived almost 3 weeks already with no cast, I don't see why I couldn't continue with my stirrup splint. Since I don't work and my hubby is retired, the doc agreed and I'm supposed to see him in 3 weeks--end of December, at which time, he will probably give me the okay to start trying to bear weight on my left foot and start using my aircast walking boot with crutches.

This is the first bone break ever in all of my 52 years... and it can be scary and depressing. Thank God for my husband who takes wonderful care of me and who makes sure my mind is always busy! Our Scrabble board is getting a good workout these days! Just know that with each day, YOU ARE GETTING BETTER!!... and those pains firing around your ankle and foot are part of the healing process.

I wish you luck with your recovery!
This thread is 4 years old. I would hope the OP is better now.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:41 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaycee7 View Post
after a few days made sure I rotated it back and forth for the motion etc.
Probably not the best idea. If anything stabilizing it in a brace or wrap of some sort would have been a better idea. The wrap would have also kept it from swelling as bad. Did you take aspirin as well ?

Seeing a doctor in this country can be worse than being injured but maybe you can go into an ER and do what people with no money or legal status do. After all you are paying for it with taxes.

Good Luck.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:58 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Go see a medical professional and get an x-ray...I know it seems like most of us on this forum graduated from Johns Hopkins Med School with honors, but the rest of the Ortho surgeons and I on this board didn't.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:51 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Zombie thread.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:04 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Funeral was last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego