U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM
 
6,317 posts, read 4,740,204 times
Reputation: 2831
Default Az/ca dmv

I am buying a used vehicle in AZ from a dealer and it will be smogged there. I am an Alaska resident and Alaska DMV may accept the smog certificate from AZ so I can register the vehicle in Alaska. (uber cheaper)

If so can I avoid altogether the CA DMV which I hear is wicked...? If not I plan to leave the AZ tags (travel nurse)....

Thoughts appreciated and valued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2011, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Columbia, California
6,536 posts, read 14,501,123 times
Reputation: 4613
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I am buying a used vehicle in AZ from a dealer and it will be smogged there. I am an Alaska resident and Alaska DMV may accept the smog certificate from AZ so I can register the vehicle in Alaska. (uber cheaper)

If so can I avoid altogether the CA DMV which I hear is wicked...? If not I plan to leave the AZ tags (travel nurse)....

Thoughts appreciated and valued.
If you reside in CA and the car is in CA you will have to transfer registration to CA by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 PM
 
6,317 posts, read 4,740,204 times
Reputation: 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
If you reside in CA and the car is in CA you will have to transfer registration to CA by law.
Seriously, with a law like that one would think that CA would be rolling in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Escondido, CA
1,504 posts, read 3,606,330 times
Reputation: 815
If you live here, you are supposed to register the car in California. However, the chances that you'll be punished for failing to register it are quite low, as long as it has valid out-of-state stickers. You'd have to make sure to tell the police that you're a resident of Alaska if you're ever stopped.

That said, I fail to see the reason to do this. Unless it's an expensive late-model car, California registration fee will be <$200. You'll spend almost as much on gasoline just driving to Arizona to pick up the car. You'll still have to pay the sales tax in Arizona.

P.S. I'm assuming that you didn't get a CA-issued driver's license. Because if you did, the "resident of Alaska" excuse is probably not going to fly.

Last edited by esmith143; 09-05-2011 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 AM
 
6,317 posts, read 4,740,204 times
Reputation: 2831
Well for the record I don't think that people should be taxed on something that they own. However unrealistic that may be, a citizen should not be encumbered by the state which has to take care of millions who won't or can't work. It is inequitable (the system) so if I can avoid paying tax on a vehicle I will.

Registration in Alaska for my 07 Toyota is $130.00 for two years. In addition, I don't pay any state income tax and in October the Big Land will put $1,200.00 in my checking account for living there. Oh, and no sales tax. So as you can see, we Alaskans can not only shoot straight we live to hold on to our pennies as well.

California has nice weather. That's about it iMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Escondido, CA
1,504 posts, read 3,606,330 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Registration in Alaska for my 07 Toyota is $130.00 for two years. In addition, I don't pay any state income tax and in October the Big Land will put $1,200.00 in my checking account for living there. Oh, and no sales tax. So as you can see, we Alaskans can not only shoot straight we live to hold on to our pennies as well.
Without getting into all the ethical issues, I'm pretty sure that you DO have to pay sales tax. IN ARIZONA. Call the dealer before going there and double check. And I also suspect that you'll have to smog the car in Alaska before you can register it there. Call them and double check too.

Last edited by esmith143; 09-06-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM
 
Location: San Diego
17 posts, read 24,356 times
Reputation: 31
You will have to pay sales tax in AZ if you buy the car from a dealer. If you buy a car from a private party you do not pay sales tax. I believe you technically will owe sales tax to CA when you register the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 PM
 
6,317 posts, read 4,740,204 times
Reputation: 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottKag View Post
You will have to pay sales tax in AZ if you buy the car from a dealer. If you buy a car from a private party you do not pay sales tax. I believe you technically will owe sales tax to CA when you register the car.

Happy to report that I did purchase a Miata from a dealer in AZ. NO sales tax as I am an Alaskan resident. I have 90 days to get it registered in Alaska. Dealer sent the paperwork and have a new smog certificate which I will send to Alaska. If within 90 days it is not registered then I will have to register it in California and pay registration and sales tax.

Cars are thousands less in AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top