Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 PM

22 posts, read 38,684 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband and I are traveling from Texas to San Diego again in a few months and we were wondering what is a better way to get to SD without going through hwy 8 than 5..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,560,375 times
What's your starting city in TX? What's your final destination?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,336,534 times
eventaully you are going to likely to have to get on 8. Once you tell us where in TX you are leaving from I will go through the effort of looking at a map and posting the route we took. With the exception of 8 through the mountains, out east of SD, in 60 mile winds, pitch blackness, and after 12-14 hours of driving that day already, It was great...but our route may not work for you depending on where you are leaving from.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,155,387 times
If you're far enough north, I-40 to I-15 isn't a bad way to go. Last time I drove back I stayed on I-40 until Flagstaff then dropped down through Phoenix to I-8. That worked well, too.

Mike

Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM

22 posts, read 38,684 times
sorry, i am coming from austin and going to camp pendleton. Last time when we went to SD by old town we went through I-10 through Elpaso, New Mexico than Az.. so through I-10, I-8 than I-5 we drove all the way through so by time we got to the mountians it was like pitch dark. If we would like stop somewhere to sleep before we go on I-8 (boarder patrol) and I-5 and than start back up again in the morning than it wouldn't be so bad but my husband wants to drive all the way through so i was just wondering maybe there was another way were we don't have to drive next to the boarder patrol and go through the moutains..

Old 09-08-2011, 04:31 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,023,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfkj View Post
sorry, i am coming from austin and going to camp pendleton. Last time when we went to SD by old town we went through I-10 through Elpaso, New Mexico than Az.. so through I-10, I-8 than I-5 we drove all the way through so by time we got to the mountians it was like pitch dark. If we would like stop somewhere to sleep before we go on I-8 (boarder patrol) and I-5 and than start back up again in the morning than it wouldn't be so bad but my husband wants to drive all the way through so i was just wondering maybe there was another way were we don't have to drive next to the boarder patrol and go through the moutains..
Since you're essentially driving along the border, unless you go WAAAAY out of your way North you're going to see Border Patrol along the whole route. Same with the mountains- the whole East part of the county is bordered with them, so unless you go WAAAY out of your way and come down from the North there's no way to miss them. Maybe you could time your leaving differently (like a few hours earlier?) so that when you get to the mountains it won't be dark? That would seem the logical (and easy) thing to do.

Although I gotta say, driving through our mountains on the 8 is CAKE, it ain't twisty at all and it's only like an hour of the drive. It *can* be windy coming up out of the desert, but really except for going up a big hill and down another big hill there's not much to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego