Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times

Advertisements

Why don't grocery stores have enough generators to keep their freezers and refrigerators going for a few days? One or two total losses from blackouts should be enough to cover the expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Don't forget, those freezers will keep things cold for a while even if the power is out. I don't recall the Ralph's downtown throwing any food away when there was the blackout last summer. I know they do bring in generators when there's SDG&E work planned but I think it's more about making sure they're able to stay open versus preserving their food.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
An old thread but I think it just comes down to the extreme rarity of these types of blackouts. Plus, they should probably be covered by insurance policies I'd think to cover some rare event like this.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Don't forget, those freezers will keep things cold for a while even if the power is out. I don't recall the Ralph's downtown throwing any food away when there was the blackout last summer. I know they do bring in generators when there's SDG&E work planned but I think it's more about making sure they're able to stay open versus preserving their food.
I know a few people who were sent frm Murrieta to San Diego to throw out everything that was in their freezers and refrigerators. It was a huge loss. Even though they are rare events, you would think that one or two would be more than enough to cover the cost of the necessary generators. Maybe SDG&E could build neighborhood generators that are powered by natural gas.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 AM

35 posts, read 67,687 times
I think throwing out your meat after 4 hours without power is a bit drastic. Meat is not going to spoil that fast, especially if you keep the door shut (the fridge will not heat up that fast).

If meat heats up it will definitely spoil faster, but if you cook it right away it should still be good. Just cook it extra long to be sure to kill any bacteria. Don't make rare hamburgers or something with the meat still red inside.

I would go so far as to say you could leave meat out on the counter all night and it would still probably be fine as long as it's not already too old. Provided you cook it long enough it will be perfectly safe, the only danger is that it will taste bad. However, you can pretty much tell from the smell if meat has gone bad.

The major thing to keep in mind is that if you cook anything long enough it will generally be safe to eat, even meat that is completely spoiled, it's just a question as to whether you'd want to eat it.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Since this thread is about the blackout, I think it now qualifies as a zombie thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego