U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM

768 posts, read 1,551,831 times
Default School and where to live question

I'm a little stuck trying to figure out the logistics for schools and where to live. If we enroll our child at The Balboa School in the downtown area near Balboa Park, which is a school for kids with special needs, what options would we have for our other two elementary aged children without special needs? Are there neighborhood schools nearby or would we be better off going to another area? Husband would work in Mission Valley, btw.

I used to live in S.D. about 20 years ago, went back about 7 years ago, so I have an understanding of the area although I know it's grown. We'd be coming from the D.C. area which is pretty pricey so I don't think we'll have sticker shock. I would love to live in the Mission Bay area but rentals seem expensive. What other areas should I consider looking at for housing? Any school leads? Appreciate any input from parents with kids in the system or any teachers!! Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM

8,142 posts, read 10,110,013 times
Where will you be living?

Unread 09-12-2011, 06:05 PM

3,773 posts, read 3,016,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Where will you be living?
That's what the OP's trying to figure out.

Unread 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM

After you decide where to live, you can find a neighborhood school. There are lots of elementary schools, but it just depends on your address. It's called "school of residence."

Unread 09-12-2011, 09:06 PM

32 posts, read 27,885 times
I'm not going to venture a guess at where you should live yet, because there are still many variables for you to consider first. However, I'm a mom of a kid in public elementary school, so maybe I can help by suggesting you "choice" into The Balboa school (is it a public school?) and then live in a neighborhood where you like the local public school.

You mentioned Mission Bay as an area you like and they have a great elementary school, Bay Park. Also, this area is within easy driving distance to both downtown and Mission Valley.

If you find that you cannot afford to live in Mission Bay, you can try to "choice" into a school from anywhere in the district. I know a lot of parents who's kids attend schools from Clairemont to Mission Valley to Tierrasanta and I haven't heard any serious complaints about any of the elementary schools in these areas. What you will hear most are concerns over what middle school the elementary school feeds into.

I hope I was helpful.

Unread 09-12-2011, 10:54 PM

The Balboa School is a private Special Education school close to the park, and it's very pricey. As for "choicing" into another school, there is an "application period" to apply. This is from the SDUSD website:

Application Period for 2012-13 School Year is Nov. 1, 2011 - Feb. 15th, 2012

The elementary schools in that area feed into Roosevelt Jr High and San Diego High.

Unread 09-12-2011, 11:06 PM

32 posts, read 27,885 times
Quote:
The Balboa School is a private Special Education school close to the park, and it's very pricey. As for "choicing" into another school, there is an "application period" to apply. This is from the SDUSD website:

Application Period for 2012-13 School Year is Nov. 1, 2011 - Feb. 15th, 2012

The elementary schools in that area feed into Roosevelt Jr High and San Diego High.
Thanks for the clarification on The Balboa School. I guess that means the family can focus more on the school for the other two kids. You're right, MOVED, choicing has deadlines, but with many of the schools cutting back on bussing they have found themselves with a need for students at some of the smaller, neighborhood schools. This means that even if you don't live in the area you have a good chance of getting into a school that has this need. At least, that has been my understanding from our school principal.

Unread 09-12-2011, 11:22 PM

It all depends on space available in the classrooms. But their first project is to find a place to live.

Unread 09-14-2011, 01:42 PM

Default Some clairification

We would look for a place to live AFTER finding the schools. If we choose The Balboa School (private for kids with disabilities) we would next look at which neighborhoods have a desirable elementary school. I like the Mission Bay area, but was hoping someone would recommend another area I hadn't considered? What about parts of Point Loma? Any specific schools to recommend?

We're choosing a neighborhood based on the schools, so some close proximity to The Balboa school is desirable. I'm not familiar with "Choicing" also, does anyone know what the class sizes are in the area for public schools? Thanks for the help!

Unread 09-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Default We're doing it the opposite of this

Quote:
It all depends on space available in the classrooms. But their first project is to find a place to live.
We will move into a neighborhood based on the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego