U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM

6,686 posts, read 4,956,872 times

Advertisements

Henry's and Trader Joes are excellent alternatives with excellent prices. Henry's in Poway consistently has stellar meat products. For fish I would go to the Fish Market.

People gotta eat...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 05:22 PM

3,195 posts, read 3,568,350 times
These stores will be open and "replacement workers" as they are called, will be there working. These companies have had months to prepare for this. I know Ralphs has self-service scanners to we can just check ourselves out if need be.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:30 PM

4,536 posts, read 4,712,570 times
Wow
"No soup for you!"- Soup Nazi (Seinfeld)

Ralphs would close stores if workers strike | SignOnSanDiego.com (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/16/ralphs-would-shut-down-stores-if-grocery-workers-s/ - broken link)

Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 PM

3,195 posts, read 3,568,350 times
by the way, I just noticed yesterday that Henry's is now Sprouts, guess they were bought out.

Interesting...Ralphs, at least in Encinitas, really never did recover from the last strike, IMO. they lost alot of customers.

Last edited by loveautumn; 09-16-2011 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: add comment

Old 09-16-2011, 05:40 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,189,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
by the way, I just noticed yesterday that Henry's is now Sprouts, guess they were bought out.

Interesting...Ralphs, at least in Encinitas, really never did recover from the last strike, IMO. they lost alot of customers.
Sprouts is owned by the Boney family, who were the original owners of Henry's (back when it was Boney's). Since then they've been owned by Wild Oats and Smart and Final, respectively.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 PM

17,304 posts, read 13,781,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I'm sure the stores will be opened. Don't they have backup workers called "scabs" or something like that??

I crossed the picket line last time, and I'll do it again. Working in a grocery store is not skilled labor, nor is it a public sector job. They can pay for health insurance like the rest of us.
I agree, just how much should can stackers and lettuce washers be comped. Retirement benefits? Some jobs like a butcher or the guys that unload freight at night have either skill or heavy labor but stacking cans, fruit or rolling items over a scanner just doesn't match what I would consider a big dollar job.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Status: "SSRIs = school shootings = MKULTRA = Pol Pot America" (set 7 days ago)

8,325 posts, read 5,666,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Trader Joe's isn't expensive at all (though I'm not sure of their meat prices as I don't eat meat). But still, most of their items I find to be much cheaper than the comparable items at Vons/Ralph's. So don't exclude that store out entirely!

^^ I'd second Henry's too. Great store!
Well, I DO gobble down dead animal type food..............and TJ's meat prices are pathetically high.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 PM

8,327 posts, read 10,330,831 times
If vons, ralphs & albertsons go on strike it will be the dumbest move they have made in 8 yrs. LOTS of people are out of work (ca ranks #2 in the nation) & lots of people pay much more or dont even have health insurance. Unions make me sick.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:47 PM

6,686 posts, read 4,956,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, I DO gobble down dead animal type food..............and TJ's meat prices are pathetically high.

Henry's is better on that score IMO and more choices.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,187,556 times
I totally agree that these employees would be shooting themselves in the foot to strike right now while the economy is so poor. I doubt they are going to get sympathy from most people out there. Certainly not me.

Hard to believe all of these stores will close down during the strike but I agree things can be uncomfortable during a strike.

I was in Toronto a few months ago on vacation and I didn't know there was a strike going on. I rented a car at the airport and imagine my surprise when some guys holding strike signs were just staring at me and waiting for me to load up all my suitcases in the SUV I had rented.

There was a police officer right next to them. So one of the scruffy looking guys that was wearing all camouflage clothing and looked like he didn't shave in 2 weeks, hands me a flyer and tells me that I shouldn't be renting from the car rental company and that their benefits were getting reduced, yadda, yadda, yadda. And that I should return the car and go rent one from their competitor.

I was in a hurry so I told them good luck but the car was already rented, I wasn't from Canada and couldn't do anything about it. That I was on an airplane for the past 12+ hours flying on an international flight with 2 young kids and the last thing I wanted to do while my 2 kids were in the car crying was listen to people on strike. So imagine my surprise when the police officer told me I had to hear them out. He said that by law I had to give them 3 minutes to talk and I couldn't leave or they could block my car until they spoke their 3 minutes.

It was an uncomfortable situation. My philosophy is if you aren't happy with your job or work conditions, or salary...quit and try to find a new one if you think you are worth it and can find another job.

I stand by my opinion that these people will get little sympathy from the general public right now... These people should be thankful they have a job right now.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 09-16-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego