Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,119,484 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a condo in Pt. Loma/midway area and need to know what is the best alternate stores to shop at if/when the grocery workers go on strike (it's sounding likely). The only stores near us are Vons and Ralphs. Other stores are very expensive like Trader Joes, Barons etc, which also don't have good selections and very high meat prices. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,244,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
We recently bought a condo in Pt. Loma/midway area and need to know what is the best alternate stores to shop at if/when the grocery workers go on strike (it's sounding likely). The only stores near us are Vons and Ralphs. Other stores are very expensive like Trader Joes, Barons etc, which also don't have good selections and very high meat prices. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Henrys. Its actually right on Midway and Rosecrans.

That massive Target extenson is also going up over there on Sports Arena, but not sure how long it will take for that to be completed.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,907,989 times
Trader Joe's isn't expensive at all (though I'm not sure of their meat prices as I don't eat meat). But still, most of their items I find to be much cheaper than the comparable items at Vons/Ralph's. So don't exclude that store out entirely!

^^ I'd second Henry's too. Great store!

Last edited by thepinksquid; 09-16-2011 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,818,075 times
Why not just shop where you usually shop...and ignore the picketers. Unless you actually believe they shouldn't be paying for health insurance like the rest of us. I look forward to crossing the line....

Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,907,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Why not just shop where you usually shop...and ignore the picketers. Unless you actually believe they shouldn't be paying for health insurance like the rest of us. I look forward to crossing the line....
Are the stores going to be staying open? I was thinking the reason the OP was worried is if the strikes force the stores to close temporarily. If they don't close then yeah, who cares!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 PM

50,099 posts, read 46,672,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Are the stores going to be staying open? I was thinking the reason the OP was worried is if the strikes force the stores to close temporarily. If they don't close then yeah, who cares!
They will picket for a couple of days then tire out, pay some schlubs to do it for them and then disappear. There will be GREAT deals while they strike just like last time. I can't wait. I might even do all my shopping one item at a time to increase the number of times I get to cross the picket.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM

321 posts, read 539,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I was thinking he/she was worried about getting harassed by the strikers. They were somewhat aggressive last time.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,347,360 times
Go fishing!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:24 PM

15,115 posts, read 32,173,278 times
I have applications in at Albertson's (2) and Vons (2 stores). I have no problems crossing picket lines to work. The Vons on 30th Street has been out of applications twice when I went in, and they had them the third time I went in. The City Heights Albertson's store manager gives them out personally, and carries them around in his pocket. He said he likes to see who he's giving them to.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,974,373 times
I'm sure the stores will be opened. Don't they have backup workers called "scabs" or something like that??

I crossed the picket line last time, and I'll do it again. Working in a grocery store is not skilled labor, nor is it a public sector job. They can pay for health insurance like the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego