Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:22 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
thats another thing, she knows that she would love living there, once the initial shock of leaving her family was over. after all we are having a child of our own. we'll be busy as ever. and what family members wouldnt love an excuse to take a trip to california to visit?

family is the main part. she can find something lateral to her current job. neither of us are particularly career oriented. her parents will probably retire in 5-6 years so they will end up moving then anyway. if we lived in CA they would probably move there for retirement.

I think she has a right to have real concerns with a baby coming. As mentioned, living life married with no kids is much different once you have kids. You'll see your priorities change.

Also, once you have kids, your wife might not want to go back to work so really take a good luck with the budget if you can realistically afford going from 2 salaries to 1 salary. Just something to really look at as I know many people that went from 2 salaries but once they had kids, one of the parents quit to take care of the child. Good childcare or daycare options are expensive in California (I guess everywhere these days).

Yeah, most of my friends that work for the Federal Government have great benefits including great healthcare benefits. But I would see if you can comfortably get by on 1 salary if it comes down to it.

I still think you come for the interview and see how it goes as long as you're clear with your wife that you are just going to see how it goes but you didn't make any decisions without talking in depth with her.

I know several people that ended relationships as there wasn't enough clear communication when it seemed like one person was deciding for both of them.

Good luck with it and let us know how the interview goes if you decide to go..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 02:25 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I am pretty sure if whatever job you are looking at is in the test taking stage chances are, an offer, if any, is far off.They like to collect list of eligible candidates and then when they are ready to (pre) interview and start training, they have screened people to meet with for further interviews....The Feds don't work like this.

Then the background screen which is very extensive depending on the position.....(since he's already working for the Feds, he's already has a clearance) then wait for official offer for job or to enter training program. the whole process can take over a year, which is longer than it takes to incubate a pricey baby . As a side note some positions may train, but you need to pass another exam before you are actually offered a job....not sure if you get benefits during the training period (which is paid). He's trying to transfer in the same field, so no exam would be required. As for training and benefits, any training would be paid for, and he wouldn't lose his benefits at all.

this all came form someone I met today heading to a some cattle call sheriff's office position (dispatcher maybe?)
[/i]

For a dispatcher position, the city and county will compile a list of eligibles, and will work off of that list if there's an opening. The Feds don't do that, and there has to be an actual vacancy before you can apply for a job.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:56 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I think Lion is talking about a county job, not fed. but I could be wrong. I also missed where he already has a job for the fed. govt. That would be a very different scenerio. I am replying under the assumption the job being applied for is county and not federal.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I assumed that it was federal, since I used to work for federal. If he's already in law enforcement, he already has the necessary clearances and training to transfer. LEO training is pretty much OJT, unless you're in the academy. If the interview is for SD Sheriff's, I've heard that they hire all the time.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:12 PM

you cant transfer from one county LE job to another-especially from a different state. granted being a LE officer already certainly helps someone get job elsewhere...but there if still plenty of red tape, hoops, and training to go through. Outside of the feds, security clearances do not "transfer". I have worked for govt in 3 different states/counties and each one went through an extensive background screening.

Sure, the SD County sherriffs office does "hire all the time" but it is a VERY long process. But we are talking about something only the OP can clarify. we do not know if he is working as an officer now or not. Even if he were his training here would not be OTJ. There are an insane amount of local and state laws that must be learned before you have your first shift.

It was never mentioned he worked for the fed govt...if that were the case he would not be having to take a test to transfer.

** to all I do not work in LE, but have a lot of experience working with LE and LE agencies.

Last edited by Clevelandgal; 10-01-2011 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
i wish i worked for the fed gov't. i have been on several waiting lists for a long time for federal probation... california, florida, nyc..to name a few. the southern california office had to freeze hiring at this point. which sux because i was high on the list. i would have definitely gone for that job. the test i was called for was for SD county probation. i did not go for the test on 9/24. i was offered to take it last weekend, but had a death in the family and could not go. unbelievable stuff...

i currenlty work for the state of gov't, in beautiful Trenton, NJ. i am familiar with the process of getting a gov't job but the SD county probation dept told me that they have immediate openings.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 PM

don't sweat it, the timing probably is not right. You would have to go through the academy and then probably work in the correctional facilities first....on all kinds of shifts. Not the easiest thing when you have a new baby. Keep in mind once you are on an eligible list you can be among a large number of people and there are no guarantees. I am not saying all this to be discouraging, rather to reassure you may not be giving up as much as you think.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i wish i worked for the fed gov't. i have been on several waiting lists for a long time for federal probation... california, florida, nyc..to name a few. the southern california office had to freeze hiring at this point. which sux because i was high on the list. i would have definitely gone for that job. the test i was called for was for SD county probation. i did not go for the test on 9/24. i was offered to take it last weekend, but had a death in the family and could not go. unbelievable stuff...

i currenlty work for the state of gov't, in beautiful Trenton, NJ. i am familiar with the process of getting a gov't job but the SD county probation dept told me that they have immediate openings.
sounds like it might not be the right time for you and your family. I am sure sooner or later you will have the opportunity to move to Ca. Good luck.

Nita

Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
don't sweat it, the timing probably is not right. You would have to go through the academy and then probably work in the correctional facilities first....on all kinds of shifts.
you are right about working in the correctional institute to start. which sucks. regardless that i have been a PO for 5 years, i dont have the california training credentials to get the deputy PO job. can only get those credentials in Cali. my training back east does not count.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Just1Lion,

Besides the great weather, what's your biggest desire to move here that badly? Just curious...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego