U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2007, 10:56 PM

291 posts, read 362,925 times
Default Multi-million $$ homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal78 View Post
Feelings on Chula Vista? ..Little Mexico
You must not have visited in awhile. There are "multi" million dollar homes on the east side. I know several military officers, doctors, etc. that reside in "Little Mexico." Also know people that have cashed out big time on the sell of their homes. I've lived in Otay Ranch for about 7 years now and I've never felt safer or had more conviences.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 PM

47,991 posts, read 43,504,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchambers View Post
hey...what are your feelings about chula vista?
my uncle in memphis says livin in california is like livin with a beautiful woman that has a headache all the time.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 11-02-2007, 04:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,979 times
Grew up in Bonita and Chula Vista, so maybe that makes me biased, but I'm rather fond of the area.

The "805 divide" theory, as one poster put it, is not 100% accurate, but it's a good rule of thumb. Western Chula Vista is mostly older homes and slightly lower income, but it's not a "bad" area of town by any means. Generally speaking, there's an area outlined by E street to the north and and Orange to the south that is pretty darn nice near the 805. As you travel further north, south, or west of this area, things get gradually "grittier." Only on the fringes would I really hesitate to go out at night.

East of the 805 is kind of broken into three areas. To the Northeast, off E street, is Bonita, which is mostly larger homes and an almost rustic (but slowly modernizing) feel. Lots of horses, dirt trails, and big backyards in that area, and I would guess fairly high income. You can hear (and occasionally see) coyotes at night in that area, and they sound creepy, but it's kind of cool.

South of that, up against the 805, is more "proper" cv, similar to the western side. Here are a lot of the area's nicer houses, including many of the million+ dollar homes mentioned earlier. The really fancy ones are tucked away, but they're in there.

To the southeast are the rapidly developing areas, most notably Eastlake. It's had a full complement of new schools built in the last 15 years or so, and has recently had a really fancy (too rich for my blood) shopping mall put up. This area is probably 10 to 15 minutes from the freeway, but they're putting in the 125, and if development doesn't slow down soon there won't be anything left you can't get there.

I realize that's probably way more than you cared for, but I was bored. Hope that helps! :P

Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 PM

462 posts, read 1,286,815 times
Chula Vista is beautiful--rolling foothills on the far east end, San Diego Bay and Marina at the west end. Have lived here 16 years and wouldn't trade it for any other part of town. East of 805 mostly planned communities, some million dollar homes at far east side, west side many older, post WWII homes. Hilltop and F is a nice older neighborhood. Mixed culture. Some gang issues, but where isn't there that nowadays?

Interestingly, those who call it "Chula-Juana" and "little Mexico" are usually from Poway or San-tucky or some such place and rarely, if ever, have been here.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:04 PM

462 posts, read 1,286,815 times
I think to say everything west of 805 is "ghetto" is a bit much--as in my earlier post, still some very nice albeit older homes west of 805. Yes, there are mobile home parks in the southwest part of town but most of those are senior parks, not really "ghetto" either. The "rougher" areas would be near the trolley and southwest near Main, which is more industrial than residential anyway. You are certainly safe going out to the store at night, etc. in most other parts of town (as safe as you are anywhere else).

Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,485,952 times
Too much density building for me. Small backyards and concrete walls.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,904,995 times
Wow,may friends get robbed jumped and stabbed.But a lot of people feel safe!=)I do too,until that stuff happens to me.I'm blessed thatnone of that has happened and have been a resident of 19 years.That 805 theory makes no sense.I live on the Eastside and still see the same type of stuff in San Miguel Rnch,O-Rnch,Sunbow,ect,ect.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:26 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,391,248 times
Chula Vista gets a bad wrap, it's not nearly as bad as people say it is. I have many friends that live in Rolling Hills Ranch, Bonita, and Otay Ranch that like living there.

Contrary to what others here say and think about East Chula Vista, I've NEVER seen any signs of gang activity or have heard of any acts of violence from my friends who live there. I'll never understand why some people seem to glamorize and exaggerate the amount of gang violence in the South Bay.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:42 AM

7,063 posts, read 17,455,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Chula Vista gets a bad wrap, it's not nearly as bad as people say it is. I have many friends that live in Rolling Hills Ranch, Bonita, and Otay Ranch that like living there.

Contrary to what others here say and think about East Chula Vista, I've NEVER seen any signs of gang activity or have heard of any acts of violence from my friends who live there. I'll never understand why some people seem to glamorize and exaggerate the amount of gang violence in the South Bay.
Yeah but there are a lot people not living in any of those areas who are still living in CV. Those are the suburbs of Chula Vista. Next time, take Orange Ave west into the real Chula Vista proper... keep your eye out for gang tags all over the place. Personally, I think the gang situation on the west side of CV is as bad as it gets in San Diego.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:42 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,904,995 times
Sassberto-I believe it.Places like Northwest by H and E trolley are hot beds for drug activities.The Otay area is known for Mexican and Black Gangs,as well as Southwest,SouthCentral,and westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego