U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:29 PM

87 posts, read 305,019 times
Opinions on Chula Vista eh?
I lived there for a couple years, on the west side. I worked there and did A LOT of walking to work and home from work and a lot of trolley riding and walking at night.
I lived on 4th Avenue at Naples Street and I worked on 4th and E St. I would walk home or to work a lot...or sometimes from the Palomar trolley or the E St. trolley. Obviously I lived to tell about it. Once after a night of drinking, I fell asleep on the trolley and got stranded at Iris Ave. The trolley had stopped running so at something like 1:30 AM, I the little white cracker, had to walk from south san diego to my place in southern Chula Vista...nothing happened and never saw any gangbangers (it musta been a slow night).
Anyway, u asked for opinions on Chula Vista, not my life story, so I think it's an alright place. Downtown is real charming...the libraries are beautiful buildings and state of the art. The mall on H-Street is pretty cool. The bayfront has a park and a zoo. So I guess I am defending west and central Chula Vista here lol. Its sad to hear people run down a place that doesn't deserve it - and I suspect prejudice against Hispancis is to blame.
I did notice that it was an okay area on 4th up till about Orange St. Past there it gets more ugly, like Anita Street, Main St. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 PM

462 posts, read 1,327,623 times
I've lived there 17 years and have never understood the whole "Chula-Juana" thing myself. I really haven't seen any part of Chula Vista that resembles Tijuana (at least the parts of TJ I have seen) at all. I have seen parts of Southeast San Diego and of course San Ysidro that do look like TJ. Like anywhere else, there are bad and good areas. I do know that many who grow up in Chula Vista (husband included) never leave it, so it can't be all that bad. You couldn't pay me to live in a place like Mission Beach--I guess it all depends on what type of area you prefer to live in. I've always liked C.V. and agree that it is far too underrated.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:29 PM

1,658 posts, read 5,069,815 times
I was 4th and L for 12 years!!!Mini Little Haiti,what we used to call it.
As for the whole city being Hispanic or looking like TJ,big ole lie.It's only about 40 something Hispanic and there are plenty of areas in the US that are 60,70,80 something percent Hispanic.It has it's goods and it's bad,just like stated above.As for it looking like TJ?Nah nowhere here looks like TJ.Try places like Downtown LA or East LA.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:49 PM

28 posts, read 141,429 times
I am moving there and I am hispanic and wife filipino and I think we will fit right in!

Actually coming from Stockton CA, which is above the national average in violent crime, rape, murder, arson, car theft and burglaries.....I think Chula Vista will be quite refreshing!

Gangs usually targert gangs and people who are looking for trouble. Anything can happen anywhere....no place is 100% safe.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 PM

77 posts, read 334,931 times
I was on Broadway and Oxford for 9 years from 91-2000. It seemed OK then and the location was near everything. Just a short walk to Target, Ralphs, Costco, grab some fast food or rent a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego