U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:25 PM

3,834 posts, read 2,244,900 times
Default Oktoberfest La Mesa/El cajon

The Beer garden has gone down hill.
I still had a good time running into people i went to high school and college with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:23 PM

322 posts, read 365,027 times
The last time I went into the beer garden at the La Mesa Oktoberfest they were only serving Lowenbrau, although that was a few years ago.

It's only about 10 minutes to walk down there from my home, but I usually avoid Oktoberfest in La Mesa. It's mostly just a street fair.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:43 AM

298 posts, read 289,135 times
Lowenbrau?? My god there are so many better German beers than Lowenbrau.

Anyway California offers beers that can give German beer a serious run for the money. In terms of variety there is no contest.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,578,631 times
What a wasted opportunity for all the great micro breweries to showcase their German style beers

Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM

298 posts, read 289,135 times
Will the beers at La Mesa Oktoberfest cost 8 Euro each like they do in Munich??

Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,578,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
Will the beers at La Mesa Oktoberfest cost 8 Euro each like they do in Munich??
^thats horrid! even with the awful euro/$ thing, it has always seemed to me drinking the local beverage (beer, booze or wine depending on the county) has always been pretty affordable. I am guessing Oct Fest in Munich has far more tourists than locals, and it has been that way for a long time. That said some of those steins are so huge it might not be that bad of a deal after all.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:38 PM

177 posts, read 165,980 times
I think 8 Euros is less than we pay locally. Here it's usually about $5 or so for a small cup (4 of those might fill a stein size liter).

Back to Oktoberfest in the area, the only one I ever enjoyed was at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 AM

644 posts, read 697,471 times
Since I don't care anything about drinking I would not notice the beers. If I went to an Oktoberfest I would be hoping to experience ethnic food and hear ethnic music, watch dance performances and see arts and crafts with a German folk influence. I have not been to the La Mesa one but that is why I would go if I did.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM

4,508 posts, read 4,310,724 times
The last time I went to the La Mesa fest was a few years ago. Basically, like many other San Diego street fairs (Little Italy Festa etc) it was completely homogenized and had more emphasis on street fair ( aka more filler like vendors trying to sell windows or crappy costume jewelry) than Oktoberfest. The ethnic aspect of it was more fashionable than authentic which probably has more to do with the organizers than anything else. I cant imagine they hired a consulting firm or did any due diligence to make it a purer version from which it takes its namesake for the October harvest.

With our local craft scene, I am working on getting a more modern version within the next 5 years as a platform for our breweries to have an Oktoberfest, San Diego style with food trucks and some local flavor like Coops. It will be popular, I am sure of it.

Regardless, kids seem to love enjoy both El Cajon and La Mesa, but I am glad to the El Cajon one is around to balance out the two.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,998,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
The Beer garden has gone down hill.
I still had a good time running into people i went to high school and college with.
Which one are you talking about? those are two seperate oktoberfests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego