U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 PM

349 posts, read 1,093,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I visited San Diego (and the West Coast in general) for the very first time in my life in early August this year. I came back complaining about the humidity and I swear everyone from California was ready to put a hit out on me. While it wasn't as bad as the hot days we get here in Austin, the humidity in San Diego (at least when I was there) was significantly worse than the dry summers we have in Austin. True, it was only 80-degrees there on the hottest day, but I was pouring with sweat almost the entire time and was generally pretty miserable if I was out in the sun. The shade was comfortable and the nights were fantastic, though. Maybe I just came at an unlucky time of the year... I don't know... but all I know is that the weather was horribly muggy the whole time I was there. I flew back to Austin after a week and though it was 20-degrees hotter here, it was dry and I wasn't covered in sweat the whole time.
That is interesting.....but I don't think that is typical at all. My sister is from San Antonio (an hour from Austin) and she is always talking about how humid it is there. Lol, your post made me laugh though "everyone from California was ready to take a hit out on me". Too funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 AM

1,038 posts, read 2,675,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
That is interesting.....but I don't think that is typical at all. My sister is from San Antonio (an hour from Austin) and she is always talking about how humid it is there. Lol, your post made me laugh though "everyone from California was ready to take a hit out on me". Too funny.
Even though San Antonio is only a little over an hour away, it's south of Austin and closer to the gulf, and is actually hotter and more humid in the summer (they got a lot more rain this year).

Old 09-17-2008, 04:52 PM

301 posts, read 588,519 times
This post cracks me up. I am originally from the So Cal area and it is NOT humid there. Let me tell you, I am SUPER sensitive to heat and humidity. San Diego can't compare to NYC and Washington DC in the middle of August.

I went to DC a year ago in the summer and I swear I almost died. Never have I felt air as thick and oppressive than there. EVER. I could barely walk for any length of time in the sun (shade was bearable) and at the end of the day, I had this gross, dirty feeling on my skin that I couldn't wait to wash off.

SD is not humid unless you grew up in the southwest desert.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 PM

83 posts, read 199,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al123 View Post
There is humidity in San Diego because it is by the ocean. There is a lot more by the coast, but less as you go inland.
Not necessarily. El Cajon, Crest and all of east county gets humid as all get out.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:22 PM

19 posts, read 36,138 times
It's all realtive. I grew up in DC and North Carolina. I remember working in NC in a hammock warehouse on a 100 degree day with a heat index of 112 with only fans and no AC. I actually thought death was imminent. While visiting San Diego on the 4th of July I was happier than a pig in sh**.

I can't wait to get off the east coast...

Old 09-19-2008, 12:28 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,194,191 times
Evidently some people don't notice the humidity in SoCal but weather data clearly show periods of relatively high humidity levels during summer. Raised in Northern California, I could tell as a kid how much more humid it is in SoCal when we vacationed in LA & San Diego. Heat index readings can rise to intolerable levels of temperature & humidity in the low deserts & thunderstorms develop over the mts regularly during summer. Muggy air flows up into California from Mexico each summer. But, it is not always humid with long spells of dry warm air esp once the santa ana season kicks in during October.

But Texas has incredibly high humidity & heat that is rare in California. Austin is much hotter & more humid than San Diego. Bay side San Diego is normally in the 70's-low 80's but gets warmer just a few miles from the beach. I have family in both Tierrasanta & Rancho Peñasquitos [about 8 miles from the coastline] & don't have air conditioning except a window unit for upstairs bedrooms that they rarely use. One would die of heat stoke without air conditioning in Texas

Old 09-19-2008, 01:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,684,422 times
I noticed yesterday that it got really humid as I drove towards the beach. It's not really all that humid in Scripps Ranch. Then when I drove just past the UTC area to La Jolla, the humidity went up and the sky was suddenly overcast. I believe it when people say there are micro climates here.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:52 PM

37 posts, read 81,963 times
That's funny. The two years I lived there, I never found it very humid. Dry heat, but not humid, but I'm from Toronto, which is not that hot, but can be humid.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:18 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,194,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsuede View Post
That's funny. The two years I lived there, I never found it very humid. Dry heat, but not humid, but I'm from Toronto, which is not that hot, but can be humid.
It becomes more humid in July & by August\September there are days that are uncomfortably muggy, but by Midwest\East Coast\Gulf Coast standards, it is not that humid in California. A few years ago California experienced a horrible summer of heat & humidity [even ocean water temps rose above 80F] but that is not the norm, thank God

Old 09-19-2008, 02:23 PM

37 posts, read 81,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
It becomes more humid in July & by August\September there are days that are uncomfortably muggy, but by Midwest\East Coast\Gulf Coast standards, it is not that humid in California. A few years ago California experienced a horrible summer of heat & humidity [even ocean water temps rose above 80F] but that is not the norm, thank God
Yeah, I lived there from 1999 to 2001. Things may have changed, if Al Gore was right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego