Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 05:04 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,862 times

Advertisements

It's been really hot to me the past few weeks here in San Diego - I'm actually breaking a sweat when I walk outside! Maybe I've just grown used to the mild weather the last few months, but it feels like there is a lot of humidity in the air and that it is making it feel a lot hotter than what the temperature says - the heat I'm feeling reminds me of the South and its humidity. Step in the shade and you still feel warm.

How long does this heat and humidity last? Til mid-October or so? Is it always this humid? I'm about 15 miles inland for work, though I live on the coast, but I'm not there during the day.

Which leads me to what is probably a stupid question, but what is the winter like here? It's still humid, right, so does it feel cold in the winter? Like when the temperature goes to the 50s or 40s? What is the rain like in the winter? I'm curious as to what to expect. I've been here since mid-March. Should I expect anything drastic from October-February? More clouds? Much cooler? More rain?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 74,266 times
Late Aug thru October tend to be the warmest and most humid for SD. I came from chicago so the current humidity is bearable. Problem with SD weather is the intensity of the suns UV rays. The sun just beats you down here. It may not be hot but the sun is unbearable. Secondly.. with little or no rain.. it gets really dusty hear. I'd invest in a humidifier to keep the air slighly moist. The winters Jan-March is the best weather actually. The days are nice with cool nights. Unless it is an El Nino year.. it will not rain much.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:00 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,121 times
Generally, San Diego is humid. Makes sense, with the water there. People don't think of it as humid, as there is little very hot weather. People tend to relate humid to 90 with high humidity -- muggy Midwestern days -- which are rare here.

To me, 55 in San Diego in winter is colder than 40-45 in Denver, yet the humidity makes breathing easier and allergies far more tolerable.

Most of the time, houses run humid -- 50-60% indoor humidity is common. 40% is about ideal. Rarely does our humidity drop between 40%, although it did for about two weeks last "winter".

Old 08-22-2007, 02:29 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Generally, San Diego is humid. Makes sense, with the water there. People don't think of it as humid, as there is little very hot weather. People tend to relate humid to 90 with high humidity -- muggy Midwestern days -- which are rare here.

To me, 55 in San Diego in winter is colder than 40-45 in Denver, yet the humidity makes breathing easier and allergies far more tolerable.

Most of the time, houses run humid -- 50-60% indoor humidity is common. 40% is about ideal. Rarely does our humidity drop between 40%, although it did for about two weeks last "winter".
A lot of people say that there is NO humidity in San Diego, which in the literal sense is not an accurate statement since I don't think there is anywhere where the humidity is 0% (that I know of anyways). I have come to find out that San Diego does have a lot of humidity, but you usually don't feel it since it's like 70-75 degrees most of the time. It does get muggy when the coastal area gets above 80 degrees. I do remember spending a summer in the Clairmont area in an apartment that did not have A/C, and it was miserable! It also depends on where you move from. San Diego is still generally comfortable compared to the Southeast or Midwest.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,369 times
It has been muggy the last few weeks, that is rare but does happen about once a year in late summer. . .the rest of the year will be like what you've seen since you moved here in March

Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 PM

27 posts, read 161,454 times
Default SD humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
It's been really hot to me the past few weeks here in San Diego - I'm actually breaking a sweat when I walk outside! Maybe I've just grown used to the mild weather the last few months, but it feels like there is a lot of humidity in the air and that it is making it feel a lot hotter than what the temperature says - the heat I'm feeling reminds me of the South and its humidity. Step in the shade and you still feel warm.

How long does this heat and humidity last? Til mid-October or so? Is it always this humid? I'm about 15 miles inland for work, though I live on the coast, but I'm not there during the day.

Which leads me to what is probably a stupid question, but what is the winter like here? It's still humid, right, so does it feel cold in the winter? Like when the temperature goes to the 50s or 40s? What is the rain like in the winter? I'm curious as to what to expect. I've been here since mid-March. Should I expect anything drastic from October-February? More clouds? Much cooler? More rain?
There is humidity in San Diego because it is by the ocean. There is a lot more by the coast, but less as you go inland. If you are bothered by humidity (such as many people with lung or breathing problems) then you may want to go further inland, or up to the Fallbrook, Temecula or south Riverside county areas. It's dryer up there, but it tends to get hotter in the summers and cooler in the winters as well.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:52 PM

32 posts, read 103,115 times
it has been so hot this year, even at the beach it is 85 with 70% humidity

Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 AM

193 posts, read 1,143,369 times
Hi guys,

I just came across this forum and was wondering if you ( or anyone you know) suffers from asthma and is living in San Diego? I live in Chicago and the harsh winters and humidity in the summers affect my health a lot. I found an article that mentioned the best cities for asthmatics and the ones that made it to the list were San Diego, Orange County, San Jose and Los Angeles. Any thoughts on these cities...? Thanks a lot!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:19 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,563,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoresident View Post
Hi guys,

I just came across this forum and was wondering if you ( or anyone you know) suffers from asthma and is living in San Diego? I live in Chicago and the harsh winters and humidity in the summers affect my health a lot. I found an article that mentioned the best cities for asthmatics and the ones that made it to the list were San Diego, Orange County, San Jose and Los Angeles. Any thoughts on these cities...? Thanks a lot!
The air quality can be bad for days or weeks at a time in the inland areas of the LA/OC area where the humidity is lower because the mountains there trap the air when there's an inversion and it just stagnates. San Diego has poor air quality less frequently. Asthmatics would probably do well to avoid the coastal areas where the marine layer is the most persistant. A few miles away from the coast makes a big difference.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:34 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,369 times
Thanks for the info..appreciate it! Are there any areas in particular in San Diego that you would recommend? Also, any idea what the weather is like in San Jose or Santa Barbara all year round? What would be the ideal places for me to be looking at...thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego