U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California
2,496 posts, read 5,748,779 times
Reputation: 1816

Advertisements

Go for it, you only live once. You have enough $$$ saved that you'll be able to get by for a little while.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
jw2
 
1,038 posts, read 895,839 times
Reputation: 1522
I agree with Ms Squid. I don't know the San Diego area at all but whatever your dream is, go for it. I hear San Diego is simply delightful, certainly the weather is. Never mind the naysayers, it is your life, your dream. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work out and you return to Maryland. If you don't give it a try, you will always wonder what would have happened.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Santaluz - San Diego, CA
4,301 posts, read 4,334,943 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I agree with Ms Squid. I don't know the San Diego area at all but whatever your dream is, go for it. I hear San Diego is simply delightful, certainly the weather is. Never mind the naysayers, it is your life, your dream. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work out and you return to Maryland. If you don't give it a try, you will always wonder what would have happened.
I don't think anyone so far is saying not to move out here. I know some posts get some naysayers but at least on this one I see most people praising her for having somewhat of a realistic game plan.

I don't see naysayers on this thread. I always think it's good to be realistic before making a move like this and I think the OP has prepared more than many people that post on this forum.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM
 
10 posts, read 15,645 times
Reputation: 18
Thank you so much for all your thoughts. I will definitely take it all into consideration and keep you posted on how the move goes. I know that it is a big move, but even if I fail, atleast I would have know I tried and it won't be something I regret .Thank you again, I truly appreciate it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 03:06 PM
 
Location: DC Metro Area
61 posts, read 57,533 times
Reputation: 24
Take me with you Gen0685! LoL!

Your plan sounds pretty good, I'm STILL trying to get out of Silver Spring myself! I've been trying for a long time but things keep happening. Don't worry too much about what others are saying just go for it! You have the resources, but you may want to have a car or at least look into getting one if your going to move irregardless of what may come. The cost of living will be about the same, but the public transportation is not! Our metro in the DC area while shabbily ran is still decent compared to what i experienced in SD.

If you cant find a job before you get there that you might run through the 14K a little faster than anticipated. If I was you I'd go for it, like you said you have nothing to lose except money and your going to spend it anyways!

Best of luck to you! please don't forget to updates us when you move!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,149 times
Reputation: 10
Hi! I stumbled on this site because i'm also doing my research prior to moving to San Diego. We're in similar boats. I too have my masters, live in/near Silver Spring, and want to go west to experience a less hectic lifestyle for a bit. Right now i'm doing consulting work and have applied for one government job. My plan was to save up at least 10,000 prior to moving out, but only after i've secured a job, and doing so by the end of 2012 (pending the world is still here lol). I am very interested to see how your move goes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Santaluz - San Diego, CA
4,301 posts, read 4,334,943 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhawkinswvu83 View Post
Hi! I stumbled on this site because i'm also doing my research prior to moving to San Diego. We're in similar boats. I too have my masters, live in/near Silver Spring, and want to go west to experience a less hectic lifestyle for a bit. Right now i'm doing consulting work and have applied for one government job. My plan was to save up at least 10,000 prior to moving out, but only after i've secured a job, and doing so by the end of 2012 (pending the world is still here lol). I am very interested to see how your move goes.

Wow..who knew so many people from Silver Spring wanted to move out to San Diego! But seriously, I always wondered just how many people out there have the dream of moving to San Diego. Always seems to be tons out there...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,116 times
Reputation: 10
Hi everyone. I happen to be another 25/26 year old with a master's (although it's in computer science) considering a move from Gaithersburg/Rockville to San Diego, CA . I've lived in this area for most of my life so I wanted to try a change of scenery, if not only for a year or so. My situation is slightly more complicated in that I currently have a house which I would need to rent out.

My only advice would be to find a job prior to moving to San Diego, since companies will sometimes help you with relocation expenses and some may even fly you out for the interview (free trip). I also imagine you won't be burning as much cash over here as you would be in SD while finding a job.

Let's keep this thread going, there's definitely been lots of great information shared!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Ocean Beach, San Diego
1,470 posts, read 1,733,399 times
Reputation: 555
^ agree having a job and getting moved out by employer is the way to go! We would not be here otherwise. Owning a home and moving cross country is a NIGHTMARE. It took us several months to rent our place, this coupled with me not working resulted in some lean times. Being stuck with a home is the one thing that really hangs over us like a wet blanket. we have a great tenant, but she will move on and we will have to deal with the applications of the nuts again. This is one of my arguments against home ownership- Its a PITA unless you are the kind of person who stays put for while (I thinking 10 + years at this point!) If the market is in a downturn and you want to move, you either lose a lot of money and sell (if you even can sell), or have to deal with the stress of renting it out...and doing so 1000's of miles from home is not pleasant.

One piece of advice about moving here-you want to have as financial obligations as possible!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 AM
 
Location: Santaluz - San Diego, CA
4,301 posts, read 4,334,943 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
^ agree having a job and getting moved out by employer is the way to go! We would not be here otherwise. Owning a home and moving cross country is a NIGHTMARE. It took us several months to rent our place, this coupled with me not working resulted in some lean times. Being stuck with a home is the one thing that really hangs over us like a wet blanket. we have a great tenant, but she will move on and we will have to deal with the applications of the nuts again. This is one of my arguments against home ownership- Its a PITA unless you are the kind of person who stays put for while (I thinking 10 + years at this point!) If the market is in a downturn and you want to move, you either lose a lot of money and sell (if you even can sell), or have to deal with the stress of renting it out...and doing so 1000's of miles from home is not pleasant.

One piece of advice about moving here-you want to have as financial obligations as possible!

I totally agree with you Clevelandgal about owning a home and having to move across the country. I have several friends that were in that position and like you they say it was a total nightmare. A few bit the bullet and sold as they had plenty of equity but others had very little equity in it.

I totally agree that it's best to buy if you think you will be there for the long term. During the "flipping" years people could buy a home and expect to flip it in a short amount of time and make money even factoring in for realtor's fees and potential taxes. These days not so much.

The plain truth of the matter is that many people should have never bought their homes. Owning is not for everyone. There are a whole bunch of people out there that should never own and continue renting. Especially people that don't know if they will stay in that area long term, aren't totally sure their job situation won't change, don't know if they will have kids in the future, etc. There is definitely NO shame at all in renting as we are seeing now. I rented for many years before I had kids entering school and I really loved it. I loved the freedom of being able to move to another apartment/building/neighborhood if I wanted and no obligations if I wanted to move after a year or two. It was really great. Plus, in many areas the rental parity is much better than the cost of a mortgage.

Owning properties does have it's advantages too. I own several properties but I typically only buy in the best and upscale neighborhoods in the city. I've found that I've NEVER had any problem at all renting them out. You know what they say...location, location, location.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 10-12-2011 at 12:38 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top