U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 11,517 times
Default Moving to San Diego with 2 kids

I am a single mother with two kids and I have been offered a job in San Diego, CA close to Downtown. The company is even willing to move my belongings so I would just need to get us there. If anyone has any information on what the pay needs to be to live there it would be helpful. Also, looking at what are good neighborhoods for schools and less crime. I currently work in Seattle, WA and live in Tacoma, WA so i commute 40 miles one way everyday and I ahoping to narrow that down a bit.

Any advise would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPEEP View Post
I am a single mother with two kids and I have been offered a job in San Diego, CA close to Downtown. The company is even willing to move my belongings so I would just need to get us there. If anyone has any information on what the pay needs to be to live there it would be helpful. Also, looking at what are good neighborhoods for schools and less crime. I currently work in Seattle, WA and live in Tacoma, WA so i commute 40 miles one way everyday and I ahoping to narrow that down a bit.

Any advise would be great!
Hi! I just joined because I saw your post and wanted to help you out a bit.

Moving is a big deal, it can be scary.

What part of the downtown are you trying to move too?

Are you trying to live in the suburbs or actually down town?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:06 PM

9 posts, read 11,517 times
Hi, I dont have to live Downtown that is just where the job is. I was thinking suburbs. My biggest fear is will I make enough to support us. I love eveyrthing I have seen I just cant seem to get much information even though there are tons of posts on the internet about moving to SD. I was thinking someone who lives there would probably give me better insight.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM

4,536 posts, read 4,526,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPEEP View Post
Hi, I dont have to live Downtown that is just where the job is. I was thinking suburbs. My biggest fear is will I make enough to support us. I love eveyrthing I have seen I just cant seem to get much information even though there are tons of posts on the internet about moving to SD. I was thinking someone who lives there would probably give me better insight.
Most of SD is a massive suburb. It would help if you had more specifics about a house or apartment. Cost? How many bedrooms etc.

It can vary quite a bit, but there are tons of places to live that range in cost and location. Some people that come here "MUST" live by the beach and see no other reason to move here except that. While there are others that treat SD like anywhere else, go to work, pay rent/mortgage and enjoy the weather.
Just know that generally, being closer to the ocean= higher rent or housing cost. You can live in an area like La Mesa which is a little over 20 miles to downtown and have some property.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,007,277 times
Congratulations on the job offer. I think that's one of the single most important factors to already have a job lined up BEFORE you move to San Diego. So many people move here first then try to find a job and are struggling from the get go.

I think a BIG factor in where you live depends on how old your kids are. Are they school age yet? Definitely you'll want to keep in mind school districts before you decide where you want to live.

Also, it would be a GREAT idea if you can take at least a weekend off and drive around some of the areas before you decide where to live. Moving is a major event, especially when you have kids so really think that part through.

Me personally, I'd never want to live downtown with kids. Have you visited San Diego before?

Also, make sure to factor in the tax differences. California has state and local taxes and Washington State has no State income tax. It's best if you put together a spreadsheet and figure out all your expenses factoring in net income after taxes. It's almost impossible to say $X amount is enough as it all depends on what kind of quality of life and expenses you have for your family. It's all a bit relative but I do think you're wise to look at the big picture before moving out with 2 kids.

Besides the tax differences, from the times I was in Seattle, gasoline for the car was less expensive than here in San Diego. Food prices seemed very similar at the grocery store. I'm not sure how expensive car insurance is there but here in San Diego I'm paying less than other places I've lived before. Utility bills you will most likely find yourself spending less as the temperature is mild here so I doubt you will need to use heat or AC too much.

I'm not sure if your employer is paying for all your healthcare insurance costs but if not, it would be a good idea to see if there are any differences with healthcare premiums. California does things a bit differently than other places I've lived. I own my own company so I buy my own healthcare insurance coverage for my family and it's kind of a pain that I can't do a family plan with Kaiser Permanente. Here they make you get individual coverage for each member of the family. So I have 4 different policy #'s for my daughter, my son, my wife and myself.

I can't emphasize enough to put together a spreadsheet with all your monthly expenses. It's amazing to me that many people don't know exactly what they spend each month. I've moved a few times including overseas and utilizing a spreadsheet for expenses was key. Some of my categories are:

-Mortgage or Rent
- Property taxes if you own
-Phone (Land line and Cell phone, blackberry, etc)
- Utilities (gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, etc)
- HOA fees
- Maintenance and repairs (if you own a property)
- Car payments
- Car insurance
- Auto Fuel each month
- Registration fees for your car each year
- Maintenance on your car
- Home/rental insurance for your property
- Life insurance
- Health insurance premiums
- School expenses for kids (tuition, stuff for school, ballet classes, etc)
- Babysitter expenses
- Clothes for kids and yourself
- Toys for kids
- Dry Cleaning
- Health club / gym
- Beauty (hair salon, nails, make up, etc)
- Extracurricular activities dues/fees
- Entertainment (movies, theatre, plays, Seaworld, Zoo, concerts, sporting events, etc --- TONS of stuff to do with kids here)
- Magazine/newspaper/Ipad subscriptions
- Dining out at restaurants
- Grocery budget
- Retirement savings contributions
- Kids college fund savings contributions
- Charity
- Travel / vacation expenses
- Federal/State/local income taxes
- Any revolving debt payments you might have
- Bad habit type stuff (alcohol, smoking, etc --- this doesn't apply to me but it does for many people)

Of course some of this might not apply to you but I'd say you're covered if you make a spreadsheet with all of these things.

Good luck.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 10-05-2011 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 PM

208 posts, read 211,535 times
Rancho Bernardo is one of the nicer suburbs near downtown San Diego and I can't confirm this, but probably has some of the best schools in the area (don't take my word for that, but look into it).

Rancho Bernardo is an area of San Diego proper.

The downside is, it is a little under 30 miles away.

It is not inexpensive to live there though.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
Rancho Bernardo is one of the nicer suburbs near downtown San Diego and I can't confirm this, but probably has some of the best schools in the area (don't take my word for that, but look into it).

Rancho Bernardo is an area of San Diego proper.

The downside is, it is a little under 30 miles away.

It is not inexpensive to live there though.
Yes, Rancho Bernardo (92127/92128) --- http://www.zipmap.net/ is in the Poway School District which is really great. Many families with young kids rent/buy in this area just for the school district. You will have to commute to work downtown (around 25 miles) which won't be fun but it sounds like you're already traveling longer than that now.

Carmel Valley also has TONS of families and great schools. Carmel Valley is in 92130. It's more densely populated than some other areas with lots of townhomes and apartment buildings but the area is really great, schools are great and it's a bit closer than Rancho Bernardo. Also, you're really close to the beaches. Rentals aren't cheap here but good quality of life if you have kids and as a parent one of the most important things would be the schools.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 10-05-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM

674 posts, read 725,966 times
A recent study was released which stated the basic income necessary in San Diego to cover basic living expenses for a family of four with one pre-school child and one child in school was about $73,000.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM

1,079 posts, read 983,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
A recent study was released which stated the basic income necessary in San Diego to cover basic living expenses for a family of four with one pre-school child and one child in school was about $73,000.
skeke, do you have a link to this study?

It would be very useful in this sub forum. Many people have questions regarding what it would take to live here, and most of us can only provide anecdotal advice.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
This sounds fairly accurate. Of course people can spend far less and far more but that sounds about right just plugging in expenses into a spreadsheet.

I know in our case we spend more than that amount skeke mentioned, even considering that we have no mortgage payment/rent (our house is paid off) and we own our cars outright. But we do have higher property taxes, Mello Roos, HOA, etc.

We have two young kids one in pre-school and another one that will be in pre-school next year. Pre school is about $900 a month for one child. Next year we have our younger son that we'll also send to a Montessori pre-school so that will be $900-$1,000 more just for 2 kids going to pre-school. ($1,900 per month). Not fun.

Also, included in that budget I did NOT count our traveling/vacation budget expenses which by far is our budget expense. I also didn't include kids savings or retirement savings in those figures. Just the monthly nut of on-going living expenses.

It's very easy to spend money here in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego