U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM

16,587 posts, read 20,162,906 times

Advertisements

HUH???

The Laguna Beach fire didn't "reach Escondido (where the Wild Animal Park is located) and points south..."
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 PM

4,432 posts, read 4,016,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
HUH???

The Laguna Beach fire didn't "reach Escondido (where the Wild Animal Park is located) and points south..."
When there are huge fires in San Diego, there are often also fires in L.A. And vice-versa. I don't remember the fires in 1993 ... probably because the horrible Laguna Beach fire was going on in near L.A.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:02 AM

141 posts, read 166,467 times
The Santa Ana is a term used for type of condition. High pressure over the great basin and low pressure off shore of California is what causes the Santa Ana winds. If a wildland fire was to break out during a Santa Ana condition the fire has great potential to strengthen. This is what most of the public misses about FIRE.......... Fire suppression requires a coordinated attack. Once the fire breaks out a system must be used to START the suppression efforts. It is called Fire Scope or ICS( Incident Command System). This system takes time to put into place. A bunch of fire trucks and fire fighter don't run to the fire and put water on it. The suppression must fall under a command. Strike teams must be formed, lots of other resources must be put in place. It all takes time and during this time the fire grows(and maybe your house burns down). Where the fire started dictates who has command. Might be Forest Service might be Cal Fire. The fuel load and last time the area burned is all taken into account.
During the Cedar fire, the last large SD fire, the fire started at night, strong winds pushed the fire west. Suppression teams were not allowed to attack until sunrise, by that time Ramona had burned.
For the most part most residents of the county have nothing to worry about. If you live in the urban wildland interface then you should know what is expected of you to protect your property.

If you see high pressure over Nevada and or Southern Utah and low pressure off shore California then expect a Santa Ana. The wind is warm because it is moving air from the desert floor that has been heated by the desert sun.

If you have some ability to read WX maps go here http://aviationweather.gov/adds/

You can find out how strong and how long a Santa Ana will be.

Here http://aviationweather.gov/adds/winds/ as you can see by the winds. The High pressure is there, but the low is not far enough west. This will break down quick and it will . High pressure moving in from the west will keep it warmer, but no Santa Ana condition is present. As the High moves east if a low is present off shore then a Santa Ana will form. The higher the pressure differential the stronger the Santa Ana.

No stop reading this and go cut some brush from around your house

Last edited by beachrescue; 10-14-2011 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 AM

3,682 posts, read 4,166,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
During the Cedar fire, the last large SD fire, the fire started at night, strong winds pushed the fire west. Suppression teams were not allowed to attack until sunrise, by that time Ramona had burned.
Good informative post--but I should point out that the Cedar Fire did not start at night, it started some time before sunset. We were in Ramona at the time, and saw the smoke rising on the mountain, and decided to drive over to the airport to watch the fire-fighting planes take off. And there they were, sitting on the ground, and nothing moved--because it was, then, five minutes past sunset. Plenty of daylight and clear skies, and pilots willing to fly, but they were denied permission to go ahead. What a costly decision--the fire could have been stopped right there. The next morning the flames had reached Poway, and we were evacuating.

Another thing to mention is that the Cedar Fire became so devastating because our own firefighters were up north, fighting fires in Riverside County and/or elsewhere. I remember watching the news on that Sunday morning, and seeing the ashes fall on our driveway, and hearing a newscaster report from Poway/Scripps Ranch, "If you're in the direction of the fire, prepare to get out. There are no firefighters here. You are on your own." I'll never forget those words.

In all fairness firefighters did show up in force later in the day, made a stand down the street, and saved our neighborhood, for which we are eternally grateful. And in 2007 we were not deprived of our own firefighters, so San Diego learned from dreadful mistakes in 2003. What we should all have learned from it, individually, is that we need to always consider ourselves as potentially on our own, and plan accordingly.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:18 AM

6,672 posts, read 4,949,036 times
I appreciate the replies. Very informative for myself a newcomer living on a Poway canyon.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,165,871 times
I was in San Diego back in October, 2003 when they had major wildfires. The whole city was covered with ash.

Cedar Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM

66 posts, read 102,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Before those was the Harmony Grove fire (1996) which wasn't as large. And before that was the Laguna/Kitchen Creek Fire (1970). So we do have them, but not often.

Tragic North American Wildfire Disasters - 1950 to Present - Destructive Forest Fires
I was evacuated in the Harmony Grove fire. I remember calling my house every hour from the motel to see if my answering machine was on. I figured if it was, the house was still there.

Fortunately it was. Not so fortunate for people just a block or less away.

Caat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego