Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,004,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Forget trying to talk to the filtharette addicts, they are not going to budge.

The Government.....nope.

Best thing to do is try to make YOUR house as pleasant as possible......air cleaner, air fresheners, plants...etc. Maybe you could do something to your fence to make it a little harder for the filtharette smoke to flow into your yard/house.
Ugh. Air "fresheners" are almost as offensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 01:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,729 times
They're smoking OUTSIDE. There's nothing you can do. You gotta be kidding me!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:46 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
We are surrounded by smokers. Many nights we have no choice but to pack it in. Just remind yourself that you don't have that filthy habit to deal with. There are no laws against it, for now anyway. I'm not willing to see more rights get revoked here. We've already been trampled by big Govt.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
There is no way you will see cigarettes outlawed in the future. The greatest stroke of genius for the Tobacco industry was cutting the US government (and especially the individual States) in on the income from the lawsuit settlements. It was a ton of money and these States depend on the income each year.

It doesn't matter that cigarettes are proven cancer on a stick.....now that the State governments get money from the Tobacco industry each year...it will NEVER go away now.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,529,678 times
This thread reminds me of an old joke...
A doctor asked his female patient who was trying to quit smoking, “Do you smoke after sex?”
She responded, “I don’t know. I never looked.”

Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,979,063 times
2nd hand smoke is potentially not only annoying it is a clear health risk. Studies reveal this and it is established medical fact. If the OP feels the proximity to their windows is such a hazard they should contact the local health department. In addition, they should purchase a very good air purifier for that room and run it when they smell smoke. That will take most if not all of the carcinogens out of the atmosphere. While unrealistic to think that they can argue for the neighbors stopping smoking, many laws are created just that way. Now NOBODY can smoke in a stadium auditorium or public gathering. I can remember when everyone smoked....even on an airplane (imagine that). So my recommendation again is bake the cake, and have a chat. Failing that, call your local health department and see if some of their regulations can assist you. Your neighbors have the right to kill themselves......not you.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,806,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
I live in La Costa, in a twin home that we own. There are no HOAs or CCRs. The people who live in back of us are constantly in the back yard smoking. It always blows into our house to the point where we can't even keep the back door open, let alone sit in the back yard.

Does anyone have any experience in how to handle this? Are there any laws in California that I can be aware of before I begin the process of approaching them? And how do I approach them to begin with? I've talked to the woman once before I moved in, but they are our back yard neighbors, so they don't live on our street where we would see them coming and going. I do know that they own.

Thanks for any input.

Caat
I feel your pain, I'm the lone non-smoker in a house of smokers (I make them stay out on our covered patio). I mentioned to my neighbors that I had smokers, but they stated it had not bothered them.
AADAD is on to something with the bake goods and talking nice to the neighbors. I doubt they will initially oblige you, but if they're the least bit considerate, they will be aware of your request and may make an attempt to mitigate the affects of the smoke heading over your way.
I can't over emphasize the make nice talk when you do approach, for it is after all their home and they should feel as though they can have uninhibited legal enjoyment (eventhough its offensive to you) of their home. Maybe invite them over for drinks or something (if they are folks that might otherwise be ppl you would enjoy) to get to know them better - couldn't hurt!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:45 PM

22,577 posts, read 24,379,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Ugh. Air "fresheners" are almost as offensive!
There are some that smell quite nice. Have you ever tried the heated-oil-air-fresheners???? They smell really good, without that chemical bleechyness.

Myself personally, just about anything smells better than the stench of filtharette smoke..........a truly vile stench.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego