Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 PM

440 posts, read 534,063 times

Advertisements

Me again; we went with scenario 2 (more or less) and have been out here for a couple of months. We rented through VRBO - the first house in Sunset Cliffs, and the other in Del Mar. We had a large list of houses that had been for sale at some point in the last 8 months that seemed to meet our basic criteria and explored all of the neighborhoods to see what they were really like; also popped into a few open houses. (DH knocked off Carmel Valley after our visit last May; didn't feel metro enough for him.)

In the end, our favorite neighborhood was Point Loma. The only real downside for us was the airplane noise, but otherwise it had everything we could want: decent houses on nice streets, good grocery and everyday shopping nearby, nice restaurants, and quick access to downtown and other desirable destinations.

Re the other areas: Mission Hills is lovely but clearly outside our price range. North Park and South Park are possibilities but would need careful attention to the specific street and surrounding areas. UTC was OK and had affordable housing but felt family suburban even if it really isn't all that way. Del Mar and La Jolla are most likely outside our price range, although we've been having a great time living one block from the beach. Bay Park was a maybe; Bay Ho also iffy and only in the southern section. Our realtor suggested looking at Kensington and it was really nice but (1) very tricky to find a house in our price range with most of what we want and (2) kind of felt like an isolated community although very close to downtown. Hillcrest and University Heights seemed mostly apartment/townhouse/condo rather than detached homes.

So if my husband ever agrees to move to SD, we would concentrate first on Point Loma, especially Loma Portal/Palisades and Sunset Cliffs. We also realize that we would need to look at least at $700,000 to get what we want, but it can be done, especially as we move up towards $800,000.

And I just love living out here - I've walked four piers, at least six beaches, Torrey Pines (on Valentine's Day), Balboa Park, Shelter Island, Cabrillo point, and more. We participated in restaurant week and have eaten in a wide variety of casual as well as touristy venues. We've also been to five different farmer's markets and liked Hillcrest best for produce and La Jolla for art. Although our favorite tomatoes were at Ocean Beach and Del Mar. Between cookies, crepes, and Moo Time, I really needed those walks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 03:28 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post

In the end, our favorite neighborhood was Point Loma. The only real downside for us was the airplane noise, but otherwise it had everything we could want: decent houses on nice streets, good grocery and everyday shopping nearby, nice restaurants, and quick access to downtown and other desirable destinations.

Re the other areas: Mission Hills is lovely but clearly outside our price range. North Park and South Park are possibilities but would need careful attention to the specific street and surrounding areas. UTC was OK and had affordable housing but felt family suburban even if it really isn't all that way. Del Mar and La Jolla are most likely outside our price range, although we've been having a great time living one block from the beach. Bay Park was a maybe; Bay Ho also iffy and only in the southern section. Our realtor suggested looking at Kensington and it was really nice but (1) very tricky to find a house in our price range with most of what we want and (2) kind of felt like an isolated community although very close to downtown. Hillcrest and University Heights seemed mostly apartment/townhouse/condo rather than detached homes.

So if my husband ever agrees to move to SD, we would concentrate first on Point Loma, especially Loma Portal/Palisades and Sunset Cliffs. We also realize that we would need to look at least at $700,000 to get what we want, but it can be done, especially as we move up towards $800,000.
Catwarmer, I still think you should seriously reconsider Kensington. First, it isn't that isolated of a community. I actually feel that Point Loma is more isolated because it is so hard to get into and out of. Secondly, I'm not sure what you want in a house, but if you think you need more square footage because in Chicago you need a big house to get you through the winter without getting cabin fever, consider that in San Diego your entire house lot is your house throughout the year. In San Diego you will have plenty of time to spend outside under a Lanai in the back yard. Put a chiminia out there, and you can even spend winter evenings outside. So, a smaller 1200 to 1500 square foot house could be all that you need. And that goes for really any area you might live in.

I think you made the right choice scratching Carmel Valley off the list. I thought it was too suburban from the get-go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego