U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2007, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 35,993 times

Advertisements

I am going to relocate to San Diego this month. I found an apartment near Grand and Lamont with street parking. I noticed there is street sweeping once a month. After reading this site: Parking Frequently Asked Questions | Parking Management, I found out that San Diego City rules require you to move vehicle (at least 1 block) after 72 hours.

This would be really troublesome as I don't use my car everyday. Do they strictly enforce the 72 hours/3 days rule in this area?

Thanks.

Last edited by new_sd; 08-23-2007 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: minor change
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM

489 posts, read 996,786 times
Yes, it's enforced The reason is that many people come here, abandon there car and we are left with beat-up cars all over just sitting. Don't worry, that area has lots of street parking, so every 4 days, just go move it. Have fun in SD.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:03 AM

125 posts, read 23,120 times
Quote:
This would be really troublesome as I don't use my car everyday
Parking concerns, being obligated to move your car as per SD ordinances are just the beginning of your nightmares!

Welcome to Party Central: the home of the most vile and vulgar riff-raff on the face of the azz of California, widespread ignorance, punk-azz skate gangs defacing your property and running you over on the sidewalks, insipidly graffitied palm trees, garbage-strewn lawns, the WOO-HOO revelers til the break of day, rampant drug dealing, petty theft by pitiful pizzants, and sundry criminal activity by the real-deal and juveniles alike. Get ready for a crash course in general debauchery -- sans any artfulness or societal merit.

Hope you enjoy sleeping through the constant cacophonous onslaught -- the discordant array of aural annoyances: sirens WAILING, dudes and harlots SHOUTING and SQUEALING at the tip tops of their future cancer-ridden-from-all-the-pot-smoke lungs. And fireworks (yes, fireworks) year-round. You know, the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-CRACK!! - type, called "bottle rockets." The worst menace is the parade of Harleys (thousands of them, especially on weekends): the sound of forty-eleven crotch-rockets CRACKLING, SPITTING, UPCHUCKING THEIR EXHAUSTED EXHAUST -- peeling down the avenues and streets at a decibel so loud it would make the members of Led Zeppelin themselves blush. Sum total of manhood inches amongst them: single digits, I would guess.

Unless you're a felon looking to mingle with like-minded vermin, a PhD candidate writing a dissertation entitled, "PB: How Any Place In America Could Be So Uncultured Is Beyond Me," or you're a brain-dead keg-standing, Duuuuuded-out frat boy, you shall not enjoy your stay here. If it's not too late, I advise you pull the rip cord. Check that -- pull that cord regardless! At least be a "No Worries" surfrat in a more dignified locale.

Take it from someone who once thought the sun and sand could overcome all else: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT MOVE HERE!

Sadly, most likely you will not heed my advice. But don't say I didn't warn ya.

GOD I FREAKING HATE PACIFIC BEACH.

Last edited by san phlegmatico; 08-27-2007 at 07:18 AM..

Old 08-27-2007, 10:52 PM

Unhappy wow, that bad?

Hi san phlegmatico,

I have heard of PB being the party area - but didn't expect it would be as bad as you describe. We have been driving around the neighborhood and do notice some areas that are not very nice - yet not too bad.

But thanks for your input. I will watch out for those!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:33 PM

291 posts, read 1,208,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_sd View Post
Hi san phlegmatico,

I have heard of PB being the party area - but didn't expect it would be as bad as you describe. We have been driving around the neighborhood and do notice some areas that are not very nice - yet not too bad.

But thanks for your input. I will watch out for those!

Err, there is some truth to his post, but I think he paints kind of an extreme picture. I live near a busy shopping center on Garnet in PB and this place doesn't really get too bad, other than the freaking dumpster guy who empties the dumpsters and has the *beep-beep-beep* thing going off every f'ing morning.

But basically PB is a place for younger people and college kids. I am 26, sometimes the general immaturity and rowdiness can get a little annoying, but it's not too bad really.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM

Default it's great so far

So far, I have enjoyed the fresh air. I noticed sirens sometimes - but that's it. Hard to find parking in the evening.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Post after almost 1 year living in Pacific Beach...

What I like
- Close to ocean and bay.
- Fresh air.
- Nice weather most of the time. Not too hot.
- Many parks nearby
- Close to San Diego zoo and Sea World
- Can see Sea World's fireworks from right outside my apartment.

What I don't like
- Some graffiti in the area.
- Street parking could be very hard to find late afternoon/evening.
- one of my neighbors has parties several times a week, through the nights, music, party noise, smoking, bedroom noise, etc...

Regarding parking, street cleaning is once a month so make sure to move your car if you have street parking. As long as you use the car couple times a week, that should be fine and you don't have to worry about moving your car exactly after 72 hours to another block.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 PM

161 posts, read 490,613 times
Wow! Do you find OB to be anything like PB?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 PM

10,397 posts, read 13,933,001 times
I would not take anything san phlegmatico says seriously, that is an EXTREME exaggeration. Fool must have been pissed as hell about something when wrote that. And actually I just spent about about 3 minutes looking at his other posts and this is pretty normal for him it seems, so I'd disregard it completely.

OB is smaller, more hippies, free spirited types. burnouts, biker types overall. Kind of reminds me of Berkeley, Ca except the people aren't as educated. Doesn't have the "Ken and Barbie" scene that PB can have either. I like going there but it's not really for me overall to live in, but I've had plenty of friends live there and love it. I think PB might be a little more diverse in the type of people overall too, although they both have a somewhat distinctive scene/vibe to them.

And that street cleaning stuff is so hard to remember. One side is the first Wed of the month, while the other side is the first Thu. Then some of the streets you have to be off by 7am while others it's 10am. When I parked on Ingraham St I always forgot and got a ticket b/c you had to be gone by 7am, but I stopped parking on that street and the one my apt is on you have to be out by 10am, which works for me since I leave at 830am. But on days I've stayed home and forgotten about it I got a ticket, if it wasn't having to leave for work before 10am I'd probably get one every other month.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:30 PM

258 posts, read 1,049,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san phlegmatico View Post
Parking concerns, being obligated to move your car as per SD ordinances are just the beginning of your nightmares!

Welcome to Party Central: the home of the most vile and vulgar riff-raff on the face of the azz of California, widespread ignorance, punk-azz skate gangs defacing your property and running you over on the sidewalks, insipidly graffitied palm trees, garbage-strewn lawns, the WOO-HOO revelers til the break of day, rampant drug dealing, petty theft by pitiful pizzants, and sundry criminal activity by the real-deal and juveniles alike. Get ready for a crash course in general debauchery -- sans any artfulness or societal merit.

Hope you enjoy sleeping through the constant cacophonous onslaught -- the discordant array of aural annoyances: sirens WAILING, dudes and harlots SHOUTING and SQUEALING at the tip tops of their future cancer-ridden-from-all-the-pot-smoke lungs. And fireworks (yes, fireworks) year-round. You know, the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-CRACK!! - type, called "bottle rockets." The worst menace is the parade of Harleys (thousands of them, especially on weekends): the sound of forty-eleven crotch-rockets CRACKLING, SPITTING, UPCHUCKING THEIR EXHAUSTED EXHAUST -- peeling down the avenues and streets at a decibel so loud it would make the members of Led Zeppelin themselves blush. Sum total of manhood inches amongst them: single digits, I would guess.

Unless you're a felon looking to mingle with like-minded vermin, a PhD candidate writing a dissertation entitled, "PB: How Any Place In America Could Be So Uncultured Is Beyond Me," or you're a brain-dead keg-standing, Duuuuuded-out frat boy, you shall not enjoy your stay here. If it's not too late, I advise you pull the rip cord. Check that -- pull that cord regardless! At least be a "No Worries" surfrat in a more dignified locale.

Take it from someone who once thought the sun and sand could overcome all else: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT MOVE HERE!

Sadly, most likely you will not heed my advice. But don't say I didn't warn ya.

GOD I FREAKING HATE PACIFIC BEACH.
A passionate discourse on why not to move into PB. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego