Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM

43 posts, read 67,351 times

Advertisements

I arrived here last wednesday from seattle. Only took me 19 hrs driving and I totally missed the LA traffic! woooohooooo! I've had to stay in a run down motel in PB until I can move into the studio apt I was able to land. I wasn't even going to try to find an apt until I found a job, as most apts had denied me, even when I offered to pay all 6 mo upfront. Lucky for me, I found an apt to accept me over in Golden Hill, without me having to shell out so much money up front. Now the real challenge starts: finding a job that will allow me to live down here! Wish me luck! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:14 PM

530 posts, read 775,233 times
You see ladies and gentlemen, not everyone secures the job first, before they move! I did not, when I moved here, and it's worked out fine for me.

'Course, it's a low paying job and that doesn't really pay me enough to live here which is why I need to move but hey.....it can be done!! Yeah, ok then.

So good luck to you ......I get the feeling you may need it!!

But I could be wrong!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 18,695 times
Good Luck! That's a really courageous move that I don't think I could have done. Hope things work out.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times
Good luck. Nothing more exciting than dropping down to a new place and having the road ahead of you.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:18 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
You see ladies and gentlemen, not everyone secures the job first, before they move! I did not, when I moved here, and it's worked out fine for me.

'Course, it's a low paying job and that doesn't really pay me enough to live here which is why I need to move but hey.....it can be done!! Yeah, ok then.

So good luck to you ......I get the feeling you may need it!!

But I could be wrong!

Definitely there are plenty of people that move to San Diego before securing a job. I don't think anyone is saying it's not done. It's done plenty of times. It's just NOT recommended.

Also, definitely some people will succeed in finding a job. But the biggest problem I think is a matter of finding a job where you can easily live a good quality of life.

Not impossible. I agree there. I wish you the best of luck...

Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM

43 posts, read 67,351 times
Thanks all!

Yeah, it does make me nervous to relocate so far without a job lined up, but no one would look at me while I was in Seattle. I know things will take a while to get to where I want them to be, but I'm glad I made the move. If you listen to any great success story, they all involve a risk being taken. Trying to wait for the "perfect" moment will have you constantly waiting and not doing anything.

I have always played it "safe" and life had gotten extremely monotonous..it was definitely time to start a new adventure!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,341,512 times
Congratulations Ndiv on making the big move.

Moving here without a job CAN be done. But it's best done only with a nice cushion of money. If you have the means to pay 6 months rent upfront, it sounds to me like you've done enough prep work to make this a viable move.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,462,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Definitely there are plenty of people that move to San Diego before securing a job. I don't think anyone is saying it's not done. It's done plenty of times. It's just NOT recommended.
Most people can't get a job lined up beforehand, and that for sure keeps many from coming here. Pretty much executives, others with very specific skills, and transfers within a company that operates in multiple cities are it. Anyone else really determined to move here will have to do so unemployed.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,811,495 times
what line of work are you in?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:00 AM

106 posts, read 641,529 times
Congrats!!!!best of luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego