Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:08 PM

749 posts, read 1,783,777 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving back to California around January. Can anyone recommend a Property Management Co. We will need to rent when we first get there. Someone that works in North San Diego County.

Thank you for your help. Can't wait to get back home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Does anyone know of individuals that have rent houses? Or know of someone wanting to rent their home?

Thanks again

Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,544,497 times
I guess you're not getting answers because that's not the way renting happens here. Typically a would-be renter searches the rental ads and deals with whatever property manager is managing the place they're interested in.

There are a few threads in this forum that talk about how to find rental ads.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I guess you're not getting answers because that's not the way renting happens here. Typically a would-be renter searches the rental ads and deals with whatever property manager is managing the place they're interested in.

There are a few threads in this forum that talk about how to find rental ads.
Thank you for answering oddstray; I appreciate it. I was just afraid to use just any Property Management Co because of horror stories on some.

Thanks again

Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,352,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Thank you for answering oddstray; I appreciate it. I was just afraid to use just any Property Management Co because of horror stories on some.

Thanks again

Yeah, rentals through individual owners don't seem to be the norm here but not impossible. I'm not sure what your budget is but there are sites like VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) (where we rented a townhouse while we are furnishing the home we bought)... HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes is also an option.

We got really lucky that we found a great owner....and a great property..but typically these are vacation rentals so you're going to pay a much higher price to rent. But it's a GREAT option if you're looking for a furnished place.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Yeah, rentals through individual owners don't seem to be the norm here but not impossible. I'm not sure what your budget is but there are sites like VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) (where we rented a townhouse while we are furnishing the home we bought)... HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes is also an option.

We got really lucky that we found a great owner....and a great property..but typically these are vacation rentals so you're going to pay a much higher price to rent. But it's a GREAT option if you're looking for a furnished place.
Thanks for the links. We'll probably need something for 6 mo's or so until we find a house.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Thanks for the links. We'll probably need something for 6 mo's or so until we find a house.

Yeah, we rented for 6 months. I actually arranged the lease last year because I wasn't sure if we'd find a house during our house hunting trips in May. But fortunately we did. And fortunately the previous owner of the house we bought wanted to do a leaseback so it more than paid for the 6 month rental we did.

Our landlord is really great and even allowed us to end the lease early as all the furniture will be delivered soon on the house we bought. I've never had a bad experience with VRBO. So look around a bit and owners will DEFINITELY come down on their prices for a 6 month lease. I actually emailed with many owners from VRBO while I was deciding and they all would have come down off their published listing prices.

Some require a big down payment and the entire rent due and payable when they give the keys. I managed to pay 1 month to book, then 25% due 1 month before we arrived and then paid the rest when we got the keys. It couldn't have been a smoother process.

I also list many properties I own on VRBO and Homeaway and always had great experiences with rental guests. You might also want to try Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb which has been growing like crazy!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Yeah, we rented for 6 months. I actually arranged the lease last year because I wasn't sure if we'd find a house during our house hunting trips in May. But fortunately we did. And fortunately the previous owner of the house we bought wanted to do a leaseback so it more than paid for the 6 month rental we did.

Our landlord is really great and even allowed us to end the lease early as all the furniture will be delivered soon on the house we bought. I've never had a bad experience with VRBO. So look around a bit and owners will DEFINITELY come down on their prices for a 6 month lease. I actually emailed with many owners from VRBO while I was deciding and they all would have come down off their published listing prices.

Some require a big down payment and the entire rent due and payable when they give the keys. I managed to pay 1 month to book, then 25% due 1 month before we arrived and then paid the rest when we got the keys. It couldn't have been a smoother process.

I also list many properties I own on VRBO and Homeaway and always had great experiences with rental guests. You might also want to try Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb which has been growing like crazy!
Thank you again for the information. We are hoping to fly over prior to our move so we can get a place lined up. This gives us something to start with before we get there. You've been a great help!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,116,471 times
craigslist is the best way to find rentals, but if you're looking for the name of a specific company, these guys rent in SD North County Inland (mostly centered in Mira Mesa):

San Diego Property Management

Mike

Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
craigslist is the best way to find rentals, but if you're looking for the name of a specific company, these guys rent in SD North County Inland (mostly centered in Mira Mesa):

San Diego Property Management

Mike
Craigslist has a TON of listings but I've never really liked them as there is no quality control and tons of scams. I"m sure there are lots of ethical owners as well but I'm not sure if Craigslist really polices their listings. VRBO and Homeaway really monitor listings and owners so if there is a scam they remove it asap. Although they have such quality control when taking on listings, I've never in 15 years renting properties around the world ever come across any scams there. (Note Homeaway owns VRBO now and Google Ventures owns a peace of Home Away..)

I never thought much of Craigslist when I found several people in Europe listing my properties (they literally cut and pasted it and the photos) and trying to scam people.

Definitely it has a ton of listings and probably good if you're already here and have time to go check them out but I'd never use them to rent an apartment sight unseen. But I feel very comfortable with VRBO and other sites renting sight unseen in person.

Also, companies like AirBnB are great because you can use your credit card and you are protected until you actually arrive. They don't pay the owners until 24 hours after the check-in. Plus owners can rate guests just like guests can rate owners. Those guys that own that company are going to make a fortune...more and more of my bookings are coming from them and they are growing like crazy globally. Really take advantage of all the technology out there. It's amazing how the rental market has changed with technology vs. the olden days...it's terrific!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: