Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:10 PM

327 posts, read 881,921 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Any breakdown descriptions of all the neighborhoods/communities in RSF??

.. am staying indefinitely for 2 particular clients (1 in Fairbanks Ranch, another another in Covenant).. and will have long/irregular work hours hence their request for me to stay within RSF..

..tried goggling, but the Real Estate sites really don't depict proper 'nabes, and usually just label RSF without segregating communities..

any differences I should note about communities within RSF or are they all generally the same?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Rancho Santa Fe is known as one of the most exclusive communities in the US.

It is very expensive.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times
You know Rancho Santa Fe was the spot for a mass suicide known as "Heaven's Gate" in the late 1990's? 39 people dead.

Heaven's Gate (religious group) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2011, 02:42 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
It's hard to tell by your post but are you planning on buying or renting in Rancho Santa Fe? You mentioned you are staying indefinitely but hard to tell if you were interested in buying or renting. Also, it seems strange they would want you to stay within RSF? RSF is very close and borders many other areas so it's not like you couldn't stay in other areas that are close and just make a small commute?

Is it just you or are you coming with your family? Because most of the properties there are quite large and as others mentioned..a really affluent (and expensive area).

I doubt if it's just you, you're going to want to stay in RSF. But you are so close to other great areas including Del Mar. I'm just adjacent to Rancho Santa Fe and I can be to Del Mar in 10 minutes....

Are you sure you have to stay in RSF?

Check out the zip code map. Rancho Santa Fe is 92067 and 92091. Del Mar is 92014. Carmel Valley is 92130. I'd guess you can stay anywhere close to where you will be working? Buying and renting will be two VERY expensive options in that area.

http://www.zipmap.net/

You can also read about the individual communities within Rancho Santa Fe here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_...Fe,_California

Communities

-The Covenant refers to the original planned community of Rancho Santa Fe.
-Rancho Santa Fe Groves, a gated community on the northeast border of the Covenant set in an Orange grove.
-Cielo, a gated community east of the Covenant and bordered by Del Dios Highway.
-Santa Fe Hills, a community of 31 homes located directly East of the Covenant and West of Del Sur.
-The Crosby, a gated community east of the Covenant and bordered by Del Dios Highway.
-Morgan Run, a golf course community surrounded by the Morgan Run Golf Course in the southern portion of Rancho Santa Fe.
-Fairbanks Ranch, The Crosby, Hacienda Santa Fe, The Summit, Del Rayo, The Bridges, Rancho La Cima, The River Estates.

Then you can Google each community to find out more about them in detail. Be forewarned that many realtors include several houses and developments in 92127 as "Rancho Santa Fe" even though some aren't really RSF. In this Wiki link above it mentions the USPS considers some developments in 92127 as Rancho Santa Fe. All I know is when we were looking at buying houses, several realtors had several developments that weren't in Rancho Santa Fe as being in RSF just for marketing purposes so keep that in mind. No doubt a VERY nice area but many parts just felt too rural for us.

Good luck.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 11-04-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 03:24 PM

327 posts, read 881,921 times
thanks all so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
It's hard to tell by your post but are you planning on buying or renting in Rancho Santa Fe? You mentioned you are staying indefinitely but hard to tell if you were interested in buying or renting. Also, it seems strange they would want you to stay within RSF? RSF is very close and borders many other areas so it's not like you couldn't stay in other areas that are close and just make a small commute?

Is it just you or are you coming with your family? Because most of the properties there are quite large and as others mentioned..a really affluent (and expensive area).

I doubt if it's just you, you're going to want to stay in RSF. But you are so close to other great areas including Del Mar. I'm just adjacent to Rancho Santa Fe and I can be to Del Mar in 10 minutes....

Are you sure you have to stay in RSF?

Check out the zip code map. Rancho Santa Fe is 92067 and 92091. Del Mar is 92014. Carmel Valley is 92130. I'd guess you can stay anywhere close to where you will be working? Buying and renting will be two VERY expensive options in that area.

Click for a Zip Code Boundary Map.

all good q's sorry for my rushed post...

i plan to currently rent (but buying in the near future is a possibility depending on my experience)..

yes kinda 'weird' to stay within RSF, but clients prefer that way due to the nature of the deal where impromptu meetings at 2am can be normal due to international holdings (time zones).. lot of meetings with accountants and lawyers all within a short drive (no need to sit on traffic on 5, tho i never found it THAT bad), but it really is clients' preference at this point.

im single, late 20's so could care less for schools so no need for poway.. fairly new to north county but i don't really go down to SD to party as much, so the 'boringness' of north co doesn't bother me much considering i'll probly be too busy working anyway..

my quick search for houses for rent in RSF was actually quite surprising given some 1BR or 2BR's here in NYC go for more..

..everything else in terms of cost is much cheaper in SD than Manhattan so not much sticker shock really..

prefer house > apt since my team will be flying in and out from NY to meet with clients' teams and they'll use the house to crash.. probly not a biggie since most inventory here are homes as its family oriented..

is all of RSF pretty much the same or do certain communities differ from one another?
many thanks.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:02 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Sure, no problem. I'm guessing by your post your boss is either into finance/banking (hedge fund/Wall Street realm) or a drug lord. Ha, ha. Just kidding about the drug lord part.....

Definitely I can understand if they want you to be available on a moment's notice but still would check into if they are ok with you to be in other areas. But absolutely there are far worse areas to be forced to live. LOL.

Yeah, definitely if you're single and in your late 20's kids won't be a factor now. I was in a fairly similar situation as you when I was in my late 20's but it quickly changed as I turned 35, got married and had 2 kids in 3 years! You will find out the meaning of change of priorities.

You sound like you will be working a ton of hours. I did the same sort of thing in my late 20's where it wouldn't have mattered where I lived as I was working up to 16 or 17 hour days in meetings, phone, conference calls, etc. Not fun.

Sure, the area will probably seem very reasonable compared to Manhattan prices. I remember several years ago being offered an amazing job on Wall Street and almost taking it. Until I started looking at prices for 2/3 bedroom rental prices on the Upper East Side. (Some as high as $10k a month). Thanks but no thanks..... Crazy expensive.

Yeah, much of RSF and that entire area is family oriented plus a lot of retirees that already made their money and like to play golf now.

I didn't go around to all of those communities in RSF when we were looking but we went to a few and they were all very high end and nice. It sounds like your employer is going to foot the bill for your rental place so I'd just go for the one you enjoy the most. Some have really nice amenities like Golf course, private gyms, upscale private pools, parks, private tennis courts and some even have upscale Spas and restaurants and cafes where you can charge to a monthly bill.

If your employer will foot the bill, even though you will be working quite a bit, I'd go for the one that has the nicest amenities if you can get that included in the rental package.

Keep in mind in most of these communities you can't access these clubs just because you live in the community. You have to buy into the Club and then pay monthly dues. But they are really nice. I ended up buying in nearby Santaluz and I preferred it the most. Also, several of the local professional athletes including Philip Rivers own in Santaluz. I did end up joining the Club and it's very nice.

So probably worth checking out the various rentals and seeing each individual community. I think you'll find it's hard to go wrong. Of course you'll most likely be one of the youngest in the development (I went to a HOA meeting last month and it was like an AARP convention) but if you're working so much it might not matter. I think many people would envy the situation you're in. Let us know where you ended up.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 11-04-2011 at 04:29 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 09:37 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Live in Del Mar, it's 10 minutes away.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
You know Rancho Santa Fe was the spot for a mass suicide known as "Heaven's Gate" in the late 1990's? 39 people dead.

Heaven's Gate (religious group) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The house was demolished and a new one was built in it's place.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I wouldn't wanna live in the new house.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
And the street name was changed from Colina Norte to Paseo Victoria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego