Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,213 times

Advertisements

Livelifetofullest- yes. I'm white but my kids are mixed Hispanic. They look more Italian or Greek though. Too white and non Spanish speaking to be fully accepted by the Hispanic community and too dark to be fully accepted by the white community. Thank god for liberals or they wouldn't fit in anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:08 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
I was at a shopping center in East County today and there was this woman sitting behind me and this older man next to her. The woman was saying that she is raising her daughter Jewish and was looking for a school in East County to send her because she currently home schools her. This older man tells her not to send her to any schools in East County because of "all the Muslims" that live there now and then referred to Rancho San Diego as "Rancho Baghdad". The woman was freaked out and said "I'm scared now." The man then said that Chaldeans may not hate Jews but all Muslims do (as if Chaldeans and Muslims are the same). Then he said they are becoming a huge problem in East County. The woman said that he "was really freaking her out". I wanted to turn around and tell him that the biggest problem in East County are Redneck bigots but I got up and left and was able to control myself. It was the most rediculous conversation I've ever heard. They were being loud and not caring at all who heard them. The fact that that man clearly has no critical thinking skills whatsoever and that woman is so easily swayed is pretty sad. Now I'm waiting for the usual posters to reply to me telling me they don't see any of this on their "frequent" visits to the SD area.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:49 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I was at a shopping center in East County today and there was this woman sitting behind me and this older man next to her. The woman was saying that she is raising her daughter Jewish and was looking for a school in East County to send her because she currently home schools her. This older man tells her not to send her to any schools in East County because of "all the Muslims" that live there now and then referred to Rancho San Diego as "Rancho Baghdad". The woman was freaked out and said "I'm scared now." The man then said that Chaldeans may not hate Jews but all Muslims do (as if Chaldeans and Muslims are the same). Then he said they are becoming a huge problem in East County. The woman said that he "was really freaking her out". I wanted to turn around and tell him that the biggest problem in East County are Redneck bigots but I got up and left and was able to control myself. It was the most rediculous conversation I've ever heard. They were being loud and not caring at all who heard them. The fact that that man clearly has no critical thinking skills whatsoever and that woman is so easily swayed is pretty sad. Now I'm waiting for the usual posters to reply to me telling me they don't see any of this on their "frequent" visits to the SD area.

I'm not surprised, as you know from my previous postings, this is a common occurrence in East County. Not so much or at all in La Mesa, but once you enter El Cajon City and beyond as you know, it's like if all of Texas and the South stopped at a gas station to refill, and never left.

It is the Redneck, Hillbilly, Skinhead, lower-socio demographics of that area for some reason makes it a hotspot for racism. The thing is, most of it isn't blatant, but in a quiet non direct form. It's not the rich conservatives that are pissed of change, but the poor ones.

In a way, I believe everyone has a right to fight for and defend their cultural beliefs. For instance, if a neighborhood mostly has had Christian residents for over 50 years, and then now all of sudden, Muslim people are moving in, and start making demands and trying to change the neighborhood, the long time Christian residents have a right to protect or fight for their beliefs so the area wont change by not selling out. It's like with everything, we fight to protect our identity and cultural beliefs.

Same goes for Latino's and Blacks standing up to Gentrification tearing through their neighborhood destroying years of cultural history and affordable housing. These people have a right to stand up and stop the changes from occurring and kicking them out of their homes where they have lived for decades.

Even though we as people share similar interest and like similar things, we are very different and is the reason why many of us stick to our own kind intentionally and unintentionally. Race has a lot to do with it, but if you think about it, it's actually more about cultural differences, religion, economics, and intelligence rather than what someone looks like that creates hate or despise for one another.

Racism seems to be the talk of current events these days, from Black men being shot and killed by police, to Anti Muslim rhetoric and Illegal Immigration which always sheds a negative light on the Mexican people.

I call it the "Trump" effect.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:42 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

It is the Redneck, Hillbilly, Skinhead, lower-socio demographics of that area for some reason makes it a hotspot for racism. The thing is, most of it isn't blatant, but in a quiet non direct form. It's not the rich conservatives that are pissed of change, but the poor ones.

Same goes for Latino's and Blacks standing up to Gentrification tearing through their neighborhood destroying years of cultural history and affordable housing. These people have a right to stand up and stop the changes from occurring and kicking them out of their homes where they have lived for decades.

Even though we as people share similar interest and like similar things, we are very different and is the reason why many of us stick to our own kind intentionally and unintentionally. Race has a lot to do with it, but if you think about it, it's actually more about cultural differences, religion, economics, and intelligence rather than what someone looks like that creates hate or despise for one another.

Racism seems to be the talk of current events these days, from Black men being shot and killed by police, to Anti Muslim rhetoric and Illegal Immigration which always sheds a negative light on the Mexican people.

I think racism is deeper than just skin color. That is part of it, but not all of it. It's the policies put in place that negatively affect minorities. For instance the drug war is causing problems in Mexico with the cartels running back and forth. A wall and drones are "comfort" words used to appeal to the poorer conservatives, but the issues run much deeper and have a lot to do with our policies here in the United States. The drug war also causes the incarceration of thousands of people for months and years. The people that are locked up the most for minor charges like marijuana procession are overwhelmingly black and many are Latinos too. When these people are released from jail they have a hard time finding work because of a minor drug charge and become desperate for money.

Rich conservatives shouldn't be off the hook. They may not come out and say racist things or hate others for their skin color, but they do contribute to the systemic racism. They vote for politicians that slash things like welfare, Pre-school programs, affordable housing, and education. Poorer people including many minorities rely on these things to live day to day. They (conservatives) like to encourage policies like school vouchers which negatively affect the poor. They do all this just to save a few bucks. It's quite silly since they support politicians that want to spend trillions of dollars on useless wars and the militarization of the borders with huge walls and drones under the guise of "fiscal conservatism". They like business politicians like Carly Fiorina even though they cut thousands of jobs and ship them overseas then whine about "taxes". Also, just because a conservative is rich doesn't mean they aren't racist or ignorant. Look at people like Doug Manchester who supports traditional marriage and Trump.

Rich conservative politicians come to power and use that power to convince poor white conservatives that everything is the fault of minorities. Mexicans are illegally crossing the border and stealing all your jobs and murdering Americans, Muslims are coming to instill Sharia Law, Blacks are thugs and shouldn't attack police etc. These poor conservatives are scared and vote for these rich politicians who mostly couldn't care less. It's easy for them to tell poor people to grab themselves by their bootstraps and stop mooching when they themselves mostly grew up in the suburbs with well-off parents that helped pay for their education. Look at Trump. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and has never been poor a day in his life yet he has all these poor uneducated white conservatives rooting for him like he cares about any of them. A lot of people on this forum seem to be that way as well.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 09-19-2015 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 09:24 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:

I think racism is deeper than just skin color. That is part of it, but not all of it. It's the policies put in place that negatively affect minorities. For instance the drug war is causing problems in Mexico with the cartels running back and forth. A wall and drones are "comfort" words used to appeal to the poorer conservatives, but the issues run much deeper and have a lot to do with our policies here in the United States. The drug war also causes the incarceration of thousands of people for months and years. The people that are locked up the most for minor charges like marijuana procession are overwhelmingly black and many are Latinos too. When these people are released from jail they have a hard time finding work because of a minor drug charge and become desperate for money.

Rich conservatives shouldn't be off the hook. They may not come out and say racist things or hate others for their skin color, but they do contribute to the systemic racism. They vote for politicians that slash things like welfare, Pre-school programs, affordable housing, and education. Poorer people including many minorities rely on these things to live day to day. They (conservatives) like to encourage policies like school vouchers which negatively affect the poor. They do all this just to save a few bucks. It's quite silly since they support politicians that want to spend trillions of dollars on useless wars and the militarization of the borders with huge walls and drones under the guise of "fiscal conservatism". They like business politicians like Carly Fiorina even though they cut thousands of jobs and ship them overseas then whine about "taxes". Also, just because a conservative is rich doesn't mean they aren't racist or ignorant. Look at people like Doug Manchester who supports traditional marriage and Trump.

Rich conservative politicians come to power and use that power to convince poor white conservatives that everything is the fault of minorities. Mexicans are illegally crossing the border and stealing all your jobs and murdering Americans, Muslims are coming to instill Sharia Law, Blacks are thugs and shouldn't attack police etc. These poor conservatives are scared and vote for these rich politicians who mostly couldn't care less. It's easy for them to tell poor people to grab themselves by their bootstraps and stop mooching when they themselves mostly grew up in the suburbs with well-off parents that helped pay for their education. Look at Trump. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and has never been poor a day in his life yet he has all these poor uneducated white conservatives rooting for him like he cares about any of them. A lot of people on this forum seem to be that way as well.
Excellent post! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Conservatives politicians like to spend money alright, and that's on the military. Starting wars to hijack natural resources from other countries creates jobs unfortunately, and makes military government contractors a lot of doe in the process. This is pure evil IMO.

What's funny is I will never understand the aspect of poor Whites voting for conservatives, and it's policies when if anything they are the ones that need all the social programs to help them!! Yet they vote against what they need and complain about it. It's insane. It's the Rich conservatives I understand, as they are protecting their wealth and don't want any of their money being snatch and going to the poor.

Having an upper hand in life does matter. As college has become so crazy expensive, how do we encourage young people that are poor, and have families that cannot pay for their schooling, to go get an education without the burden of massive student loan debt that will most likely carry on into their lives for decades? It's easier for a middle to upper middle class families to provide a cushion for their kids, and this why many poor people resign to not go to college, or maybe go for a couple of years and dropout. So they rather work a low paying job instead. Thus the cycle continues forever and ever.

A lot of it too, is class warfare but Republican politicians will never agree to that notion. You'd think a smart highly intelligent society across all racial and socio economic backgrounds would benefit the entire nation, as it should. But Conservatives don't want this, as we need rich and poor people to make the economy operate smoothly. Rich people need someone to do their dirty work, and poor people need the rich to pay for everything.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:09 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Well it appears the last two have called it -- it's settled--you see, poor conservatives (whites) and rich conservatives (whites) are at fault for all of the racism in San Diego and there is no other variety of racism at all nor any other reasons for the racism.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
What is most hilarious about this is that Chaldeans are Christians, and most of the Iraquis in East County are Christian. Not that it matters to me, but....

If anything, Iraquis are cleaning up El Cajon, bringing in cash, buying up properties and old businesses and fixing them up. Rancho San Diego is actually a really nice area, I wouldn't mind living there.

This is the problem with judging and not conversing and learning from other people- you stay in your ignorant little enclave filling it with hate and ignorance. People need to stop being so scared, go out and associate with people who aren't like you. Have basic respect. That goes for all types of people.

Last edited by rosa surf; 09-20-2015 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 10:19 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised, as you know from my previous postings, this is a common occurrence in East County. Not so much or at all in La Mesa, but once you enter El Cajon City and beyond as you know, it's like if all of Texas and the South stopped at a gas station to refill, and never left.

In a way, I believe everyone has a right to fight for and defend their cultural beliefs. For instance, if a neighborhood mostly has had Christian residents for over 50 years, and then now all of sudden, Muslim people are moving in, and start making demands and trying to change the neighborhood, the long time Christian residents have a right to protect or fight for their beliefs so the area wont change by not selling out. It's like with everything, we fight to protect our identity and cultural beliefs.

I don't agree with this though- we need to fight for the good of a community as a whole, work together, not against each other. Communities change and will always change. What was once a Hispanic or Black community was before a White community and vice versa, etc...etc...

People need to accept change- that doesn't mean they should be displaced, but this is the reality.

I have mixed feelings about gentrification.

I don't consider myself so different from other 'races' and 'ethnicities.' This is why traveling is so important in my opinion. You connect more with people because you are aware that differences are more normal than not.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:17 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
. . .
. . .
Trouble is, that's such a convenient idea to use to excuse racism and xenophobia. I understand that homogeneity is comfortable. Trouble is, it seems to go inexorably hand-in-hand with narrow-mindedness. If our identity and cultural beliefs are so narrow they don't allow for new ideas then maybe they need to be updated instead of 'protected'.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well it appears the last two have called it -- it's settled--you see, poor conservatives (whites) and rich conservatives (whites) are at fault for all of the racism in San Diego and there is no other variety of racism at all nor any other reasons for the racism.
False binary. Doesn't add any value to the debate. Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego