Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:44 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nor'easterKid View Post
Thank you man, I appreciate the honesty. I'll be scoping it out in the spring and I'll really try to see the non-touristy spots. I spent a semester in Rome and loathed the tourist traps so I 100% know what you mean.

Can you comment on the water temp at all? As in, is it too cold year-round to swim/enjoy?
It's cold. No two ways about it. But there's an upside to it.

Without that cold water, San Diego would bake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl2009 View Post

You’re insane if you think the public transit in San Diego is on par with DC. Just looking at a map of the metro lines compared to a map of the trolley lines will prove me right.

Cities in the deep south have a high percentage of African American but the population is very segregated. It is not culturally diverse like NYC, Boston, or DC. That is what I meant by my comparison. The third latino population does not typically socialize with the half white.

Again, I’m speaking in comparison to the Northeast, like the original poster asked for. The jobs aren’t in San Diego to draw the young professionals/middleclass that are drawn to other cities.
I lived in DC. Bethesda, specifically, for 20 years. I know what the DC public transportation system was like. I used it. I used to take the Metro from Bethesda into the city itself and I used to take a bus to that Metro station every single day for work. I did that for at least ten years. So I know what I'm talking about when it comes to public transit there.

Once you get beyond that kind of commute, public transportation was useless. I couldn't get from Bethesda to Tyson's without having to take three buses and waste an hour of my time. A ten mile drive would become a 90 minute ordeal. And if you didn't live in the close in suburbs, forget it.

Germantown may as well have been Timbuktu as far as public transportation was concerned.

You say that it's segregated here? I invite you to go to DC, where in some neighborhoods, you've got a pretty much all white population and where diversity means they let a few Jewish people live there. Maybe it's that way where you live, but I see plenty of people of diverse background mixing here.

And the "the jobs aren't here to draw young professionals" statement is to be blunt, laughable. High tech jobs tend to draw those young professionals, and while it's not Silicon Valley here, there are plenty of tech companies. You don't think those tech jobs at Qualcomm or Websense or any of those tech companies in the Sorrento Valley draw young professionals?

As I said to the original poster, do your own research and check it out for yourself. As someone who has lived on both the east coast and here, I find the statements you made to be completely out of whack with what I've experienced in both places.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,625,908 times
I dont know why we're still on about public trans...dude mentioned he's got a car, so screw it. Public trans is not an issue....

besides, having a car will allow you easy access to the best and most beautiful parts of san diego.... so public transportation aside, San diego is amazing.

I lived in Philly... before moving to SD and can honestly say it is one of the presttiest places I have ever seen. The pros outweigh the cons like a billion to one.

I understand your wanderlust and I say take the plunge..... you wont regret it. If it doesnt work out, than move back to Boston..

Ignore the people that are like "theres no public trans, oh no!. . . its a military town! oh no!!! its conservative!! boo hoo!" . . . eff all that dude. U make of it what u put into it.

It's def a suburban typr of city, but around every corner is an interesting, beautiful view, etc.

I have lived in the northeast (philly) south florida (ft lauderdale) and now san diego..... which is by the far the most beautiful.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:36 PM

25 posts, read 43,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I dont know why we're still on about public trans...dude mentioned he's got a car, so screw it. Public trans is not an issue....

besides, having a car will allow you easy access to the best and most beautiful parts of san diego.... so public transportation aside, San diego is amazing.

I lived in Philly... before moving to SD and can honestly say it is one of the presttiest places I have ever seen. The pros outweigh the cons like a billion to one.

I understand your wanderlust and I say take the plunge..... you wont regret it. If it doesnt work out, than move back to Boston..

Ignore the people that are like "theres no public trans, oh no!. . . its a military town! oh no!!! its conservative!! boo hoo!" . . . eff all that dude. U make of it what u put into it.

It's def a suburban typr of city, but around every corner is an interesting, beautiful view, etc.

I have lived in the northeast (philly) south florida (ft lauderdale) and now san diego..... which is by the far the most beautiful.

OptimusPrime... you're the man! Thank you for some very sound advice. I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale myself but only for a few months. Wayyy too hot (and flat) for my liking but it's still a very fun city.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,002,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
It's cold. No two ways about it. But there's an upside to it.

Without that cold water, San Diego would bake.
The last two summers have been cold, but most years it's in the low-mid 70s late July-Sept. Feels really REALLY good when it's hot outside!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,939,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nor'easterKid View Post
OptimusPrime... you're the man! Thank you for some very sound advice. I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale myself but only for a few months. Wayyy too hot (and flat) for my liking but it's still a very fun city.
Here's some of the topography that you'll have out here. I snapped this yesterday during an impromptu day trip up into the mountains. My mom was in town, and I wanted to show her some of the scenery. I freaking live a half an hour from where I took this picture:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mountains.jpg
Views:	1964
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	88196

How's that for the great outdoors? If you look to the left side of the horizon, you can see the ocean off in the distance.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 AM

25 posts, read 43,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Here's some of the topography that you'll have out here. I snapped this yesterday during an impromptu day trip up into the mountains. My mom was in town, and I wanted to show her some of the scenery. I freaking live a half an hour from where I took this picture:
Attachment 88196

How's that for the great outdoors? If you look to the left side of the horizon, you can see the ocean off in the distance.

That is truly awesome. Thanks for sharing that Sealite.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,901,765 times
Bottom line, drive a car (or in my case, a motorcycle) and enjoy the many places to explore in San Diego or California in general. I don't know how mass transit and California come up in the same sentence, and who cares? While people I know in PA are sitting in their houses while it's 38 deg. with freezing rain, I'm mountain biking and motorcycling at the same time. Left PA and never ever regretted it.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM

121 posts, read 198,286 times
When you visit, be sure to go to Torrey Pines state park as well as the golf course. That alone made me want to move there.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,689,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Attachment 88196

Great pic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego