Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:00 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

If you do decide to call, the child abuse hotline number is 858-560-2191, the number within the state is 800-344-6000, and it's strictly confidential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you decide to call after all, the number is 1-800-344-6000, and it's confidential.
I just might do that. Thanks for the #.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:33 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I haven't talked to any of the other renters. We try to keep to ourselves and not interact with our neighbors too often, spare for the common courtesy of a "hello" or "good morning". I just think it makes things easier that way.

I think I'm gonna mention it to the management and let them take it from there. They have to know about this situation, otherwise everyone living here is deaf. I don't hear any other sounds coming from that direction other than the screaming of the child. No adults yelling or anything.
I know it's hard sometimes to get involved, especially if it's something as horrific as child abuse and we do not know that is the case here, but just think of all the folks who could have or should have done something in Penn State.

It's your call, but I would call CPS as well as Management.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Gee, if no adult is around the child may be in there alone and starving!!! Get the mangement to call the apartment at least. That is the least they could do.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Gee, if no adult is around the child may be in there alone and starving!!! Get the mangement to call the apartment at least. That is the least they could do.
As a former child abuse investigator (in another state) the apartment manager has no authority or responsibility. It would be irresponsible, unethical, and well lame, for the OP to do a dump job on them. Part of adult, responsible life will be for the OP to make this call NOW and not post again on here until it is done.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
The noise will stop after a few years.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 PM

The apartment manager can at least call their apartment to tell them there has been complaints about the crying baby----do they need help? That is only being concerned.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:20 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
no it does not help. Children services will NOT investigate, based on a call from the apartment manager who says "a tenant says a baby is crying all the time" it is heresay. I am not going to try and be polite here. It is a sad day in our society when people like the OP thinks he/she can post on the internet, "talk to the manager" who is not equipped to deal with abuse - and sleep at night thinking they have done the right thing. Because they have not-I am telling you all now so stop this nonsense. And as mentioned I DO have expertise investigating child abuse/neglect. You know what, if you are wrong thats oK, most reports are not substantiated- Sometimes the parents just need some help or a wake up call. Well this will help get it for them.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
This reminds me of the Penn State debacle. Everyone dropped the ball and passed the buck.

No offense, but you have to come on here, the internet forum, to ask what to do? A child has freakish, consistent screams that are loud enough to be heard over an apartment away....no other noise...neighbors all turn a blind eye....no one says anything...and you think of calling management? My God, call the police or child protective services, this is like Jo Pa letting the University President know about a scandal instead of the police. You have an ethical and moral obligation to let the authorities know, this could be something absolutely serious. It goes beyond your discomfort, you have to let someone who can investigate know.

Once you do that, and if it turns out to be "nothing" then you have a record of the state being aware of noise issues and the management can act if the noise issues continue. But this confusion about what to do and inaction is very troubling to me, especially in light of recent incidents and all the horrendous torture and trauma cases we have seen children go through over the past years on the news.

Checking for numbers to contact or protocol is one thing, but check inside yourself for a conscience and soul. This is a very disturbing thread and the fact the other people aren't as concerned is just as worrisome IMO. Being "easier" not to have small talk with neighbors is one thing, but when a child's well being is on the line, people need to get out of their daily comfort zones. We are people, not anonymous robots.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:04 PM

How hard is it to go over to the apartment, knock on the door and talk to whomever opens the door? You are a neighbor for God's sake. Say you are concerned about the baby or take some food to give them since they seem to be new parents and probably not getting any sleep. Neighbor helping neighbor.

A constantly crying baby is not "hearsay". Put the phone out your window and let them hear it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego