U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,666 posts, read 1,157,733 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
easy for a guy to say this isn't it.
And my mother has never owned a gun. She's 75 years old. She doesn't want one, nor does she feel unsafe.

Gun safety dictates that you keep store the gun unloaded and the ammo separate from the gun itself, right? So in the hypothetical intruder in the middle of the night, is he really going to just sit there while you find the gun, find the ammo, and then load the weapon?

Besides, as I said, it is far more likely you will shoot someone you know with that gun than an intruder.

Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in ... [N Engl J Med. 1993] - PubMed - NCBI

"Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance."

Look, if you want to own one, have at it. Enjoy it. Shoot it at whatever targets you want to as long as it's legal.

Just don't tell people it makes you safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Ohio; originally Oakland, CA
5,613 posts, read 2,970,474 times
Reputation: 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
You don't need a gun to be safe. In fact, you are far more likely to kill someone you know with a gun that you are to kill someone who is committing a crime against you.

Own one if you like, but please spare us the rhetoric about how without one you can't defend yourself.
I used to believe this, but areas with more liberal issuance of CCWs actually has deterred crime in many instances where they are allowed, changing my opinion on the subject:
Pizza delivery driver thwarts robbery
Philadelphia Student Carrying Legal Firearm Shoots It Out With Armed Robber | TheBlaze.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 01:57 PM
 
Location: San Diego
16,740 posts, read 12,413,685 times
Reputation: 5757
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
And my mother has never owned a gun. She's 75 years old. She doesn't want one, nor does she feel unsafe.

Gun safety dictates that you keep store the gun unloaded and the ammo separate from the gun itself, right? So in the hypothetical intruder in the middle of the night, is he really going to just sit there while you find the gun, find the ammo, and then load the weapon?

Besides, as I said, it is far more likely you will shoot someone you know with that gun than an intruder.

Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in ... [N Engl J Med. 1993] - PubMed - NCBI

"Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance."

Look, if you want to own one, have at it. Enjoy it. Shoot it at whatever targets you want to as long as it's legal.

Just don't tell people it makes you safer.
My guns are all legal. In my opinion that dead woman would have been a lot "safer" if she had a handgun accessible. Just knowing she had one would have given the perp second thought.

As far as your other statement about more likely killing someone you know? Statistics have shown that most rapes and violent crime are committed by someone the victim knows so of course that stat would be likely. I think its up to the owner of the weapon to decide if they are or are not more safe. When we had a chopper overhead 2 summers ago that was looking for 2 armed felons I felt a @#$ more safe than waiting for an armed criminal to bust down my door. I felt extremely safe. Now, my unarmed neighbor that kept texting me from next door? Not so much.

It will be up to SCOTUS in to time at all as far as CCC. If it's overturned or not there will probably be an option to either make it easier to obtain a CCC or we will get unloaded open carry back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Eagle River, Alaska & San Diego, CA
5,744 posts, read 4,281,734 times
Reputation: 2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Probably minimal correlation. AZ is a very easy gun state with two cities on that list.

Texas also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Eagle River, Alaska & San Diego, CA
5,744 posts, read 4,281,734 times
Reputation: 2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
And my mother has never owned a gun. She's 75 years old. She doesn't want one, nor does she feel unsafe.

Gun safety dictates that you keep store the gun unloaded and the ammo separate from the gun itself, right? So in the hypothetical intruder in the middle of the night, is he really going to just sit there while you find the gun, find the ammo, and then load the weapon?

Besides, as I said, it is far more likely you will shoot someone you know with that gun than an intruder.

Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in ... [N Engl J Med. 1993] - PubMed - NCBI

"Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance."

Look, if you want to own one, have at it. Enjoy it. Shoot it at whatever targets you want to as long as it's legal.

Just don't tell people it makes you safer.
Well I'm not saying anything against your "mother" but we have different opinions on the subject. For myself if I go out where there are animals large enough to kill me, I will carry a weapon. Makes me feel just "right"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Eagle River, Alaska & San Diego, CA
5,744 posts, read 4,281,734 times
Reputation: 2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My guns are all legal. In my opinion that dead woman would have been a lot "safer" if she had a handgun accessible. Just knowing she had one would have given the perp second thought.

As far as your other statement about more likely killing someone you know? Statistics have shown that most rapes and violent crime are committed by someone the victim knows so of course that stat would be likely. I think its up to the owner of the weapon to decide if they are or are not more safe. When we had a chopper overhead 2 summers ago that was looking for 2 armed felons I felt a @#$ more safe than waiting for an armed criminal to bust down my door. I felt extremely safe. Now, my unarmed neighbor that kept texting me from next door? Not so much.

It will be up to SCOTUS in to time at all as far as CCC. If it's overturned or not there will probably be an option to either make it easier to obtain a CCC or we will get unloaded open carry back.
These crimes are a low probability high impact equation. same in Alaska but at least the state trusts us enough to act like adults. Nanny state costs many lives IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Due North of Potemkin City Limits
1,237 posts, read 745,696 times
Reputation: 1096
Nope. Not safer. I'm biased though because carrying a gun in PA, without question, saved my life once. Had I not have been carrying on that particular day.....I would be dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 AM
 
Location: San Diego
16,740 posts, read 12,413,685 times
Reputation: 5757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Nope. Not safer. I'm biased though because carrying a gun in PA, without question, saved my life once. Had I not have been carrying on that particular day.....I would be dead.
All I want is the option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,666 posts, read 1,157,733 times
Reputation: 746
Keep in mind that the research covers thousands of incidents over many years. So while it's not perfect -- no research is -- I'd say it's valid. And nobody says that a gun has never prevented a crime. That'd be ridiculous.

I'm agnostic when it comes to guns. Want one? Go right ahead.

All I'm saying is that the data shows that it does not make you safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
2,648 posts, read 3,504,585 times
Reputation: 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I had an interesting conversation with a sheriff while we were getting our vehicles washed.

He told me in Cali you can purchase a handgun or rifle but you cannot keep it with you in public. If you transport it the gun must be secured, not within reach of the driver and the ammunition must be kept separate from the gun and the gun unloaded.

I asked myself does this make me safer or not?

In Alaska one can carry a weapon displayed or not. If traveling the weapon must be declared upon being stopped by a law enforcement officer. In addition, you can carry a loaded weapon within reach in your vehicle.

A major factor in Alaska is the presence of predatory and large animals that really can kill a person. Here in Cali not so much, however I do read about dog attacks and mountain lions attacking people.

It's a little scary to me that the state will not allow me to protect myself when out in public or in the wild.

How did this come about?
************************************************** ****
It came about because of the mind set that many people have :You cannot be trusted and are not capable to make important decisions. Just shut up, pay your taxes and let the government take care of you.

The biggest threat to the elitists that want to control all of us is an ARMED citizenry. They have been trying to take arms out of the hands of private citizens for decades. In the past Native Americans and Blacks were kept in subjugation by disarming them. Today the gun control groups are headed up by elitists that know what is best for you.

The purpose of the Second Amendment was not so you could go deer hunting or defend your home against intruders. The Second Amendment was adopted to insure that a tyrant/s could not take over the country.

Wake up people before it is too late. The very first thing any voter should consider when voting for any elected official is: Does this person support the Second Amendment? If the answer is NO but you vote for them anyway you deserve anything that happens.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top