U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM

29,010 posts, read 10,256,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
My opinion was based upon the legal statutes being applied fairly to a man who has neither the sense nor the will to benefit from it. There are categories of crimes, and drunk driving is one, where the potential harm is so great that the law should err on the side of safety, not equity IMO.
Your opinion, such as it is, is why we are a nation of laws, not emotion. In our republic you are considered not guilty until proven guilty by a court of law, and are entitled to due process before your liberty, property, or life can be taken away. In your twisted world, it is alright to arrest innocent people - lock them up and throw away the key - without any recourse to provide a defense. If you think this is a good way to do things - North Korea or the Peoples Republic of China are places you might consider relocating to.

Last edited by Harrier; 02-16-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,374,755 times
Yes, there needs to be due process. But the law says if you are accused of DUI, you lose your privilege to drive. He was aware of this. He chose to drive anyway. That's on him, not on anyone else.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 PM

@AADAD:

I just re-thought my statement and realized that you don't have to leave the USA.

NDAA Sections 1021 and 1022: Scary Potential – Tenth Amendment Center

Last edited by Harrier; 02-16-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Yes, there needs to be due process. But the law says if you are accused of DUI, you lose your privilege to drive. He was aware of this. He chose to drive anyway. That's on him, not on anyone else.
Absolutely. I stated in my previous post that if your license is suspended, you cannot drive. You do have the option of requesting an administrative hearing to challenge the suspension. AADAD doesn't think the hearing should be allowed. That is dangerous thinking when one advocates allowing the government to deprive one of liberty or priveleges without the opportunity to defend yourself against the states case.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 AM

6,945 posts, read 5,106,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Absolutely. I stated in my previous post that if your license is suspended, you cannot drive. You do have the option of requesting an administrative hearing to challenge the suspension. AADAD doesn't think the hearing should be allowed. That is dangerous thinking when one advocates allowing the government to deprive one of liberty or priveleges without the opportunity to defend yourself against the states case.
When you come down off your noble horse, sword and all, let me show you the results of drunk driving in the trauma bay. Rights must be supported by lawful procedures to remove dangerous elements. In this case the man chose to drive following his arrest detainment and potential hearing on the charge. He drove again and potentially placed hundreds of innocent people at risk. If you want him protected under the constitution so be it. I don't. The fact that you elect (which is your right again) to inflame the discussion and attempt to insult me personally indicated to me that you have more than just an opinion in this case.

I would be happy to tour you on the results of the letting drunk drivers (alleged) drive again with impunity and carelessness.

The constitution and the "nation of laws" which you state that you support never was intended to give a 2nd chance to a potential killer. The unlawful cannot exist in a society of laws and then flaunt the very laws they they cry out to for protection. Ask around. Millions of people think exactly the same way. It's not emotion....it's reason.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Rational thinking.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM

Fortunately your horribly misguided opinion is not the law of the land. Regardless of your view that people should not be able to defend themselves against allegations make against them by the government - our law does thankfully provide for that to occur. All I did was articulate the procedure for requesting an administrative hearing regarding a suspended license. It astonishes me that you would hold an opinion that would disallow this type of hearing. Are you aware that not everyone who is arrested for drunk driving is actually guilty of that crime? Are you aware that persons have requested the hearing, successfully challenged the suspensions and were legally allowed to drive again?

Your thinking is dangerous. In the scheme of thigs the privelege of driving doesn't compare to loss of freedom(prison) or life(execution). When you say "there are categories of crime where the potential harm is so great that the law should err on the side of safety, not equity" - this opens up the door to miscarriage of justice. Murder I suppose is a crime with great potential harm. Do you believe a person charged with murder should not be entitled to a trial and should be sumarily executed following there arrest?

Not an emotional argument? Then why bring up trauma bays?

"Those who would trade essential liberty for a little security deserve neither liberty nor security". - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 PM

If you would confine your comments to the current OP post it may be helpful for a reasonable discussion.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
@AADAD:

I just re-thought my statement and realized that you don't have to leave the USA.

NDAA Sections 1021 and 1022: Scary Potential Tenth Amendment Center
you 1st.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:11 PM

My original comment WAS anout the OP post - you disagreed with it - and I felt I had to defend our system your are attacking. We are discussing an administrative hearing for a suspended license. What can be more relevant to the discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego