Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 AM

6 posts, read 17,729 times

Advertisements

Hi
I have a job opportunity out in San Diego. I'm going out to visit soon and would like some advice on where to look for housing for my family. I have a one and 3 year old who will go to daycare or have a nanny. The job I'm looking at is in the city of san diego. We currently live in the Lincoln Square neighborhood of Chicago. We love where we live now in terms of the people and access to shops & restaurants.

Can someone recommend where to look for housing in San Diego? We are looking to rent a single family home with 3 bedrooms and could spend up to 3k per month. We'd like to be able to walk to shops and restaurants and be close to a park where the kids could play. I would like a short commute to downtown san diego.

Since we plan to rent to see if this is a place we could stay, we are looking to be closer to or in the city. We'd like to be around down to earth people. is there a neighborhood in the city like this?

I have read many of the threads and they speak to the suburbs, so I am posting this looking for really specific info (streets and intersections are welcome) so I can look while i am out there next week. 12/5/2011.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
If I'm remembering Lincoln Square correctly, the neighborhoods you'll like best in San Diego are the central ones like Banker's Hill, Mission Hill, Hillcrest, Normal Heights. Mission Valley has shops and restaurants nearby, but I find it rather soul-less for a place for a family to live.

I live in the suburbs, so I can't help you with streets. No doubt someone else here will reply more explicitly.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Yes, there are many threads on this [search my posts, in fact, as I've written volumes on the subject(:]

I am originally from new england, and lived in places with character in other states....i've been in san diego for 9 yrs-3 yrs each in clairemont, normal heights and now carmel valley areas of SD.
clairemont is 50 and 60's homes; it's close to beaches and freeways, but very sterile. Normal Heights is in the aforementioned areas of hillcrest, missions hills, etc. There are lots of families there (it's also extremely diverse), and traditionally it was the artsy funky area of SD. However, and I am not exaggerating, you will share the few parks [even the large balboa park] with lots of homeless and the increasing meth issue, including dealing. It's rough. My child ltold me he doesn't want to ever even visit that area again-though we've been back numerous times since, as we have friends and lots of great memories. And, the area has great restaurants and shops. Just to give you an idea....

Hillcrest is the Castro District of SD, and that is perfectly great; but as such, there is alot of partying, drugs and associated issues. Meth treatment billboards are situated in Hillcrest. True, there are plenty of folks with money there and some nice neighborhoods to boot. And, yes, there are families. But in no way would I choose to move there now, coming from elsewhere.

That said, I do recommend Carmel Valley, which is just south of Del Mar, and about 20 min to downtown SD on the 5[with no traffic, of course]
Where in SD is your job? you said Sd city-well, SD city is a series of suburbs, and most jobs are not downtown-but i wasn't sure when I read your post.

Carmel Valley is a clean suburb with upscale vibe-it's considered posh. The sidewalks are wide and clean, the schools are excellent [one of the top 3 in the county], and it's got health store, movie theater, restaurants, usual grocery chains and lots of boutiques, etc. Ironically, although it is fairly cookie cutter, it's far more soulful for a family. My children go to buy candy at the plaza liquor store and the owners know them; they play at the park on their own and come home for dinner, walk to school alone, etc. [obviously based on their age]. This is something that would not have occurred in normal heights or even mission hills. yes, 30 years ago; but not today.
Carmel Valley is 3 miles from Torrey Pines beach, no freeways. I know kids who ride their scooters there [tweens] in the summer. It's very safe and very family friendly in this area. And there's no way I would live here if not for having children-LOL
Other info: CV is quite diverse. It is the go-to school district [San Dieguito] for any number of new immigrants of middle and upper class who want their kids to be enginneers (lol), and my neighbors hail from all over-from SD natives to primarily China, India, Iran, Korea, Japan, Russia.

I will also suggest that you look at Encinitas-a great coastal community just north of del mar. It is an old surfer town gone upscale with some yuppie vibe. But, it's still very cool and full of vibrant shops and life. it's a beautiful town and the schools vary, but many are solid. Encinitas has some great restaurants and cafes, as well. It's a great community. Lots of art, etc.

3k for a house-you will have to look around in Encinitas for that, but it should be do-able. In Carmel Valley, I regularly see homes for rent that are 4/3, for around $3200. But it does vary, and there are some condos and upscale complexes available, as well. [But the homes all start at 4 bedroom, b/c it was planned that way.]

One last thought: Poway; top school district, originally a more rural area that has grown. Nice people. Not as many amenities and not as much character. You can probably get a bit more for your rental money. The commute would probably be longer/harder, and it's a hotter in the summer b/c it's further inland. It's got great recreation amenities though-a nice lake and parks, etc. Between CV and Poway, location-wise, you will find 4S Ranch and Rancho Penasquitos, also potential options.

I do think you need to let go of chicago neighborhood ideas; southern ca is a completely different vibe/place. This is based on my personal experience.

If you are set on mission hills area, 3k will probably get you less than carmel valley or even encinitas. north park has some nicer areas and will get you more than MH. And you can also try parts of normal heights [north of adams ave on the canyon homes], and university heights. Kensington is a lovely n eighborhood.

Schools are NOT great in those areas. Many people send their children to public magnet schools or public charter schools [SD city district website has a list-spend several hours pouring over it], or private schools-many in the area, primarily catholic type that i've noticed. Assuming you will be living here when you child becomes school age-2 years or so-I am including school input in this post. And it may help someone else out.

Keep in mind that you often see rental ads for 'south kensingon'; this is fancy speak for 'city heights'. Avoid CH at all costs! Also true for ads that say mission hills but are really Little Italy. You will know the difference if you do a stattelite map and check out the neigbhorhoods around it. Avoid streets close to the 5 or 805 freeways [obviously], and also be aware that air traffic from the airport downtown affects ALL people living in mission hills, regardless of home size. Some are more in the direct flight path than others, however. You'll have to ask when you look or google it for info.

Streets to avoid, or get further away from, as they are main drags: El Cajon Blvd., University Avenue, Park Blvd., Adams Avenue, most of the Avenues in Hillcrest [first through 6th, for example], etc. You can map it and get an idea, as you are looking at places. You will also find helicopter traffic in the form of 'ghetto birds' in north park, normal heights, hillcrest, etc. these areas border city heights and they have their share of crime, as well. these are police search helicopters. They seem to vary by season and even monthly, but at times it would be a few times per month. Usually they are looking for suspects.] Then again, we had search copters in Clairemont, which is a rather sedentary family neighborhood, especially in the 'Mountain Streets' near Bay Park. Perhaps another option for you? Check that area out. SD has open enrollment, too. I have family who live in clairemont and open enrolled their kids in la jolla schools for middle and high school.

Just to reiterate, and it's just my opinion based on experience, I would not actively live in Banker's Hill or Mission Hills, or any of the surrounding slightly cheaper neighborhoods, with children. Though most of the good restaurants are there!

My top suggestions for you to research, in order, are:
1) Carmel Valley
2) Encinitas
3) Poway
4) Clairemont near Tecolote Canyon, bordering Bay Park-Look for 'Mt. such and such streets' -the Mountain Streets.

Also, coming from CV, if you worked downtown, you would have a reverse commute on the 805, via the 56. I used to drive there during morning commute and as far as the 8 junction. There was literally no traffic heading south. Poway you are stuck with the 15 which is rough. And Encinitas, you have the 5 for a long stretch, which is also rough, but may be worth it to live in encinitas. If you work in sorrento valley, there is a coaster train that goes from encinitas, solana beach, etc so you could do transit, potentially. Clairemont/Bay Park is a short stretch on the 5 or 805 to downtown. Do-able.

'Down to Earth' varies. Of the places I mentioned, it's hard to say b/c you will find some in each area, but you will definitely find your share of either urban/trendy/hipster mindset, or typical so cal steroetypes, in each place. Overall, though it's changed and grown alot, SD is pretty laid back and down to earth. Traffic is becoming more aggressive in terms of drivers and attitudes are changing, but you'll find the overall attitude is pretty nice/friendly, IMO.
But, if I had to pick of the places mentioned, I'd go with Encinitas.

Good luck!

Last edited by lrmsd; 12-01-2011 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
You'd probably like Mission Hills, Hillcrest, and University Heights. Your commute to downtown would be about 15 minutes.

Here's the kind of home you can find in those areas: Huge Classic Craftsman (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/2712013561.html - broken link)

Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions. Some more info - the job is near Miramar Road and Camino Santa Fe.
I will research all the places you mentioned.
Another question - what can I expect in terms of the style of housing?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
La Mesa/Fletcher Hills area 91942/92020
Streets to look up N. Westwind Dr./hacienda dr

Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks - that's a beautiful home!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Carmel Valley and Poway are not going to give you the same vibe as Lincoln Square lol.

No place in San Diego is that nicely dense urban but South Park has a nice village like feeling next to the city- also has Albert Einstein Academy which is a good urban school.

SOUTH PARK San Diego

Check out the Walkabout photos in the More Photos section of the gallery. Walkabout this weekend.

Nice homes here
http://gothere.com/sandiego/SouthPark/

Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubs73 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. Some more info - the job is near Miramar Road and Camino Santa Fe.
I will research all the places you mentioned.
Another question - what can I expect in terms of the style of housing?
Like I mentioned, carmel valley is planned community, suburbia, as is clairemont [50's 60's style], while mission hills, et all are the older homes with character. Encinitas will vary from more beachy style to surburbia tract homes. Mira Mar is closer to Poway, and not too far from Carmel Valley. If you lived in Mission Hills, you'd be commuting 805 N. Not necessary IMO, based on your criteria. 'SD City' is spread out series of suburbs-check a map. Mira Mar and Mira Mesa are notoriously a big PITA to get in and out of, and are NE in the city, geography wise, so I'd go with somewhere adjacent.

I completely forgot about Scripp's Ranch! It's south of Poway and directly north of Mira Mar. You may not even need to use freeways. There are great homes [again suburbia, but this is one of the first planned upscale areas of SD, so by now it's more established, and you can find older one level CA style ranches, along with the areas of 2 story cookie cutter homes.] I would check parts of Poway and Scripp's Ranch. None of these places are super walkable, though you can find neighborhoods where you can walk to the local plaza with a coffee shop, super market, etc. Welcome to so cal!

And, I agree that Fletcher Hills is a nice neighborhood. La Mesa schools vary, and the commute 8 west to 805 north to work would not be very nice, however. The 8 west and 805 north are major commute routes. But you could get homes with a little more character in Fletcher Hills, pricing these days is about the same-ie, you won't get more for your money, per se. But, people are down to earth, and downtown La Mesa has a cute village area. Gives you something else to check out when you visit.

Last edited by lrmsd; 12-01-2011 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Carmel Valley and Poway are not going to give you the same vibe as Lincoln Square lol.

No place in San Diego is that nicely dense urban but South Park has a nice village like feeling next to the city- also has Albert Einstein Academy which is a good urban school.

SOUTH PARK San Diego

Check out the Walkabout photos in the More Photos section of the gallery. Walkabout this weekend.

Nice homes here
South Park and Burlingame, San Diego California
Which is EXACTLY what I said-that letting go of ideas about chicago neighborhoods is best.
And, I lived in that area with kids, and they went to one of the charter schools. It's not GREAT. Trust me. Einstien is okay as an option, if you must be urban. South Park is nice if you are single or couple in your 30's. The homes are very densely packed, for 3k the OP will not get one of the nicer canyon homes of any size.
Worth checking around-to get a feel. Good luck to the OP!
But, living in Mission Hills or Hillcrest among the homeless and hipsters is not particularly a good choice for a family.

Last edited by lrmsd; 12-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego