Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 AM

6 posts, read 10,740 times

Advertisements

Whats up! I'm going to try and keep this short...

Me and a friend, 23 and 24 years old, are saving up to move to California in the summer and attend school. We are both from Tennessee and have been contemplating this move for 2-3 years now.

We are looking at moving to San Diego, and have been looking at the San Diego Community College District but they do not appear to have on campus housing. Would living on campus for 1-2 years be the best bet until we can establish ourselves with the area?

I'm currently employed as a computer programmer and should be able to keep my job as long as I've got an internet connection... My friend would have to find a job but thankfully for him his parents should help keep him afloat until then.

If we have to move off campus, where in San Diego would the cheapest ( using that word lightly ) and cleanest places be to live? We would be looking at $_____ to $_____ for a 2 bedroom.

Just want to reassure you guys this is not a spur of the moment idea from 2 kids. We've both been living on our own here in Tennessee for a couple years but need a change of pace. We may live there a month and move back, but I want to experience it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
There is no on campus housing at any of the community colleges in the county that I know of.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:52 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,827 times
Look at North Park, South Park, Hillcrest, University Heights, East Village, Pacific Beach- - all areas where you'll find like-minded people your age. You can drive to any of the community colleges you pick. If you live downtown, (East Village, Gaslamp, Golden Hill) you can walk to City College. Good Luck guys

Old 12-20-2011, 01:10 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
In addition to the areas mentioned by mewzikguy, look at Normal Heights, Kensington (southern part), Talmadge (southern part), City Heights west of I-15 (Cherokee Point). These are cheaper, but acceptable areas that will mitigate the sticker shock coming from Tennessee. You may find 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartments for as little as $800 month. These cheap apartments in cheap, Huffman style apartment buildings will run anywhere from $800 - $1050 month. You might be able to find a more modern apartment or a pre WWII California Cottage in the $950 - $1300 month range. Or you can go for all the bells and whistles from $1200 on up for a 2 bed, 1 bath place.

You can of course find a two bedroom apartment for less than $800 month, but we couldn't honestly recommend such places to you.

So, for broad planning purposes, assume you will be paying $950 - $1100 month unless you have champagne tastes, and are prepared to fork over the cash to live that way.

Feel free to post back here about various areas where you find apartments you are interested in, and we will give you the inside information.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 10,740 times
Awesome, thanks guys!

I'm going to sit down and really check into some of these places this week and I'll be sure to come back here with what I find or if I have any questions!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM

47 posts, read 107,279 times
You can find a comfortable 2 bedroom apartment for $1200-1300 almost anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: