U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 PM

14 posts, read 26,607 times
Default Cable Packages

Sorry if this was already covered, but I will be moving into a studio in the North PB/La Jolla area coming from the East Coast. I have had Verizon Fios for the past few years so I am not familiar with the cable options in that area.

I will be working remote from my apartment so I wanted to see what cable options anyone could recommend to ensure fast internet and good phone connections. Any insight into costs would be appreciated as well! Obviously, I would need free long distance in the phone bundle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,876,118 times
In your new location, Time Warner is your only cable option. TV/Internet/Phone will cost you about $125/mth for basic service.

Here's a 12 month deal:
https://www.timewarnercableoffers.co...%20san%20diego

Old 12-31-2011, 09:30 AM

17,250 posts, read 13,397,142 times
TW has free long distance.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 AM

105 posts, read 147,281 times
I'm not in the area you said but I do have Time Warner in North County and they just sent a notice for a raise in the rates starting new years day they jacked up everything buy a buck or two for every little thing luckily im locked in on a 2yr contract so the price will not go up. I just have cable and Internet not the phone as I find paying for a landline and a cell a waste they do have good deals though. Do NOT order online, go and look online, but call for the best rate/package as they can totally customize your package more than the website can (like if you want 2 DVRs and 1 SD box etc) Ask about the "Build your own Bundle" and try to get the phone with free install (they constantly send me flyers with the bill pushing the phone with free install and 3mo free then 24.00 California calling for 24months)

Also be prepared to prepay for services. They insisted on a credit card number and charged the 1st months service before they would put in the work order for the install and they billed it right then when I was on the phone and they charge you a months ahead there on out.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:17 PM

6,536 posts, read 14,489,033 times
Been there, done that.
The only real bargain in the bundles is when you have a complaint they shut all services down till you admit defeat.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 PM

3,904 posts, read 2,423,541 times
If you are computer savvy look into "goggle voice" and "Getcabletvfree.com"
Don't pay outrageous prices to the cable company.
Just pay them for basic broadband internet.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,012,178 times
I haven't had a true landline for many years until recently. The security company said that we needed a true landline for the security system so that was the only reason I got a landline.

I just got the super basic package from AT&T as we don't use it to make calls. It's just used for the security system. It was still worth it because the discount on the insurance for having the security system was more than the $20 a month fee.

Check into Vonage Home Phone Service | Residential & Business VoIP Calling Plans I've used them since they first came out many years ago and very happy with it. I have the world plan so I can call tons of countries around the world free (besides the $30 a month fee).

I have Time Warner for my internet and cable (it was included in my HOA fees) so I didn't have a choice to use someone else but so far happy with them.

The internet included was the 10 MB package and so far it's never gone down and almost always at the true 10 MB speeds which is more than enough for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego