Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 14,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
So the question is do you hate Norfolk because of lack of oppts? If so, I honestly cant say moving is going to solve those problems.
No I hate Norfolk cause its a HOLE. And I've been stuck on the East coast of USA for 6 years and I'm done. Even South Africa wasnt perfect. Hell it had allot of problems and I was poorer there that I am now but I was 10 times happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbladedude View Post
5 family members total. 3 kids.
I'm not a troll.
My wife works days and I work nights part time due to the fact that our health insurance is through her job.
I have done security, bank teller, farm work, bartender, server. Thats about it.
All of those jobs will be hard to get, and won't pay you enough to support five people.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:53 PM

8 posts, read 14,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
All of those jobs will be hard to get, and won't pay you enough to support five people.
So in your opinion I shouldn't even bother cause its a total waste of time?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
well, if you were 10 times happier, maybe you should think about returning to South Africa. I can't believe this post is for real.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I think he's just a troll, and is trying to stir us up.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
I'm confused as to how you were able to immigrate here without some type of qualifying benefit to the U.S.?

I hear ya on Norfolk, I've lived there and HATED IT! But it sounds like you need to stay there a little longer. What is your friend in San Diego saying about your prospects out there? I don't understand why you don't have more money saved up before moving. Are you leaving your family in the lurch and now they can only depend on your wife's incom?. Will she now have to find child care depleting more of the family funds?

Sorry dude, I am alway in favor of trying new things and taking risks, but this sounds really dumb!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbladedude View Post
So in your opinion I shouldn't even bother cause its a total waste of time?
From your description of your situation, it sounds highly likely that you and your wife and 3 kids would become homeless here. It's a dangerous situation to put kids into.

Can your wife take care of the kids for a few months while you come out here, stay with your friend, and assess the economic opportunities and challenges first-hand? That way you could decide for yourself whether it would be a total waste of time.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 PM

454 posts, read 1,585,994 times
Who will watch the kids while you are gone and your wife is at work? You said they are all under 10 which means none of them should be left alone.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
From your description of your situation, it sounds highly likely that you and your wife and 3 kids would become homeless here. It's a dangerous situation to put kids into.

Can your wife take care of the kids for a few months while you come out here, stay with your friend, and assess the economic opportunities and challenges first-hand? That way you could decide for yourself whether it would be a total waste of time.
This is a total understatement! I still don't think this post can be genuine. It seems too incredible that someone would leave their 3 young kids (1 VERY young) to try to move to another city with a horrible job market when they don't have ANY savings and 3 young kids.

As a parent of two young kids, I'm not sure how you could move away from them and leave them with your wife alone? If your wife is alone with them I assume she can't work while you're on your trip.

This just sounds like an incredibly foolish thing to do. Assuming that you're not a troll, you need to really re-think this situation.

Your friend needs to really give you a dose of reality just how bad the job market is here. Heck, even in a healthy economy, I'd say you're plan is so flawed and shouldn't be attempted. But in this horrible economy, I'd say it's almost a certainty to become homeless.

You need to totally forget about weather, or whatever reasons you want to move to San Diego for and start thinking about your kids.

It's hard to believe your wife can get healthcare benefits just working part-time but you should thank your lucky stars she has benefits! Imagine if you moved out here, she would be giving up her job and valuable healthcare benefits and it would be tough to find a job with your prospects that offered benefits. Same goes for your wife working a part-time job.

I'm assuming that your wife is American? And you got permanent residency status (green card) by marrying her?

If you are for real, really think your plan through better and think about your kids. I'd give this same advice to any close friends that were in your situation as well. And even if you are a troll, it's sad to think about people in real life doing this sort of thing. I know it happens all the time and very sad to see.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
early April Fools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego