Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 07:11 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times

Advertisements

If I have to be in Santa Ana by 8:00 AM on a weekday, what time should I be leave East County (Alpine Area)?

This isn't a daily commute, but every now and then I will have to make the trek. I am not sure how bad traffic is going NB on the 5 at the times I would be commuting and at what time the traffic backs up on the 8 going down the hill either in the morning either.

Any insight and personal experience would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:24 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
0300 to be sure. have breakfast once you get there. Roads will still be packed.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
According to Mapquest, this is a 108.5 mile trip. It should take two hours without traffic. That means you would need to leave at no later than 5:45 if you want to assume ideal conditions.

In a real world commute, I'd say you'd need to leave by no later than 5:00.

I'd drive up the night before and get a hotel.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:31 PM

Hmmm....3am or 5am. Obviously 5am sounds better...but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking. I have seen NB traffic on the 5 in Orange County in the AM and it is somewhat light. I am not sure how the 805 NB and the 5 NB in San Diego County will be though around 6:30am or so...

Believe me, I would stay the night in a hotel but I am trying to save money in this economy and I will just grin and bear and make the commute the few times necessary the same morning.

So is 5AM realistic or wishful thinking?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
How critical is it that you be there on time? If it's critical, then I'd go with the hotel the night before. Yes, it costs money, but if it saves your job ...

If it's not that critical, then 5 AM might be OK.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:03 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Believe me, I would stay the night in a hotel but I am trying to save money in this economy and I will just grin and bear and make the commute the few times necessary the same morning.
That's a potentially penny wise, pound foolish decision.

If you're exhausted and stressed out from a three hour drive, will you really be able to function at your best? And if you're not, what will the person you're driving up there to meet with think?

Make sure you think it through.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
That's a potentially penny wise, pound foolish decision.

If you're exhausted and stressed out from a three hour drive, will you really be able to function at your best? And if you're not, what will the person you're driving up there to meet with think?

Make sure you think it through.
Well, for the few times I need to do it, I won't be sleeped deprived, I will just go to bed early the night before. Likewise, paying for a hotel and eating out significantly reduce any earnings for the day's assignment, so I will just commute on the isolated days I have to be in Santa Ana.

Basically I need to know how the traffic conditions are on the freeways along the route to be able to plan an accurate time as to when I should leave the same morning. I think I will try 5am and see how that works under normal conditions. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:09 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
i think if you leave at 4:OOam you should make it in time with a nice cushion. These are my considerations when I thought this out:

1. You will not hit any significant traffic at 4:00 am in San Diego County.
2. You will be going against the rush during most of your trek across San Diego. Meaning that most traffic is headed southbound 15 and 5 in the morning and you will be going in the opposite direction. Smooth sailing.
3. Northbound 5 past San Clemente and into the Los Angeles basin is a wildcard and can accumulate at any time and can and most likely will be brutal.

If you arrive to early, I wouldn't consider changing up my time because of the unpredictability of a LA traffic.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:13 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
I'd say no earlier than 5AM, otherwise you'll be sitting around for a while. 5 AM is still early for traffic in the SD area (I-8), there won't be much traffic going either 5 or 15 north and you'll be in Santa Ana in plenty of time.

I had to do the trip from Rancho Penasquitos to Van Nuys 3 times during the week, and I left around 5AM and made it to Van Nuys by 9 AM every time, there wasn't much traffic in the OC either, it was all way past Santa Ana bunching up as you got towards LAX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego