Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
its good if you have a green thumb. I do NOT. In cleveland I had an urban garden plot, that was besieged by gophers, and my harvest ended up being enough for dinner one night. The mint did well so I was happy. Here in SD we have a very large patio but it is mostly shade. I started with herbs, and did fine for a while and then on couple days something ate them all (it had to be bugs since nothing could get in over the walls). The mint made a come back so I have enough for mojitos. I need to quit while I am ahead.
That's our problem. We have a balcony, but it has too much shade to grow anything. Even the 'master gardeners' agree.

We do have a strawberry pot with herbs in it, out on our front walkway in the sun. It's "against the rules", but our neighbors don't mind so I don't think the HOA is going to worry about it.

Be careful with mint! It'll take over the whole garden. Better to grow it in a container.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
its in a container and thus far is barely hanging on so no threat of taking over...I mentioned I didn't have a green thumb?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
There's one surefire way to get fresh produce, and something that we are truly blessed to be able to do year round.

Grow it yourself.

You could plant warm weather plants like tomatoes, harvest and can those, and then in the winter when it gets chilly, plant lettuce and other cool weather plants.

You don't need a tremendous amount of space to do this. I have a small balcony that's about 4x10 and I have enough room to have spring onions, oregano, basil, tomatoes, and a dwarf avocado tree.

Growing stuff by yourself is a lot of fun and it's truly locally sourced food!
To the OP, try a CSA. Basically you are buying a piece of farm and there are farmers that cultivate and pick from the crops every week or two (depending on CSA). You get a fresh box of produce that is in season and ripe. I think there are a couple of other posters here that have joined a CSA. While they dont deliver it straight to your door, they have multiple pick up points through the area, especially within the downtown-mid city areas.

Yeah! Totally agree tonyinsd.

Its great to grow. I never did it before until I moved further out east where its quite sunny year round. Right now I have Ichiban squash that are absolutely taking off right now...too many to count. I planted from seed red bells, romas, basil, fuerte avocados, valencias and blueberries.

My neighbors behind my property have a VERY old avocado tree and orange tree. We have been trading up every few months some of the stuff he has been growing as well as what little output I have had.

On a side topic, community growing is getting very popular in many of the older communities here in SD. I have been having meetings with some local leaders that are involved with projects such as these in different neighborhoods mostly near the city. For all the disadvantages there are to non-HOA communities, this is certainly a nice feature to have for some of the older established ones.
Its about getting produce that is locally grown and inexpensive to areas that may be undeserved or not have the best access without having a car.
So far the response has been incredible.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
There's one surefire way to get fresh produce, and something that we are truly blessed to be able to do year round.

Grow it yourself.

You could plant warm weather plants like tomatoes, harvest and can those, and then in the winter when it gets chilly, plant lettuce and other cool weather plants.

You don't need a tremendous amount of space to do this. I have a small balcony that's about 4x10 and I have enough room to have spring onions, oregano, basil, tomatoes, and a dwarf avocado tree.

Growing stuff by yourself is a lot of fun and it's truly locally sourced food!
Yep,

I turn all of my planter boxes into mini-greenhouses every winter. Come Spring I just take down the plastic. We had one Tomato tree last almost 6 years before the cutworms got it.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I plant tomatoes in containers every year, but I get more cherry tomatoes than regular ones. This year, in addition to tomatoes, I may try growing cucumbers in a container.

Next year, I hope to move to a place with a yard, so I can grow more.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:55 AM

9 posts, read 24,271 times
Vons is pretty expensive all around unless you become a Vons Club member and take the time to hunt down and clip coupons. We don't have the time, so we usually only go there if there is an immediate need for something.

To get the best quality produce, I think Jimbo's would be the one of the very best places, but it's not cheap. They have the widest variety of that I've ever seen.

On a smaller budget, I would recommend Trader Joe's and Costco. Their selection is limited, but I think Trader Joe's has the better prices on organic produce. Depending on your location, Costco carries certain organic produce in bulk for a good price.

From Trader Joe's, we buy organic cucumbers, bell peppers, and spinach on a regular basis. Trader Joe's also has the best price on organic eggs from what I've seen. Oragnic whole milk is the same price as everyone else (other than maybe Vons). Not organic, but they do sell some of the cheapest beer there for $2.99 a six pack.

From Costco, we buy organic berries (when in season), organic salad, and organic carrots. Other than produce, we also buy organic whole chicken, organic heavy cream, and organic butter from Costco. You can also buy frozen wild caught fish in bulk at a price per pound cheaper than beef in most places.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1776 View Post
Depending on your location, Costco carries certain organic produce in bulk for a good price.

From Costco, we buy organic berries (when in season), organic salad, and organic carrots. Other than produce, we also buy organic whole chicken, organic heavy cream, and organic butter from Costco. You can also buy frozen wild caught fish in bulk at a price per pound cheaper than beef in most places.
I heard Costco stores apples for a year before they see consumer. Not sure for other product lines including organic.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM

296 posts, read 614,129 times
Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. I'll try a farm share and eventually get a garden rolling. Looking forward to checking out the farmers markets as well. (And found that Fresh & Easy has better prices than Vons)

On a side note I found a concentration of Indian markets in a little shopping center on Black Mtn. Rd just north of Miramar. There are a couple of markets there that have some great prices on produce in addition to more sauces and pastes than you can jab a pun at. (groan)

Old 01-12-2012, 04:07 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post

On a side note I found a concentration of Indian markets in a little shopping center on Black Mtn. Rd just north of Miramar. There are a couple of markets there that have some great prices on produce in addition to more sauces and pastes than you can jab a pun at. (groan)
And once you've conquered the Indian markets off Miramar, check out the Asian markets in Kearny Mesa (99 Ranch, Mitsuwa, Nijiya, Zion, etc) Lots of good stuff there, too.

Mira Mesa also has a few Asian markets worth checking out.....Lucky Seafoods, Seafood City and Vinh Hung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego