Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 PM

48 posts, read 123,316 times

Advertisements

Single 50ish y.o. female Interviewing for a job at the Immigration & Customs Enforcement Medical Facility soon. Does anybody know of someone who works there? Wondering about the facilities reputation as far as employment goes.

Would appreciate any information I can gather. Also will be in need of small/studio apartment in so. SD county. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
'Working near the border' makes me think of Bonita and Eastlake. But for a single person ... I don't know. If you live in one of the downtown neighborhoods, you'd have a reverse commute and possibly a more interesting place.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
I would assume this will be one of the detention facilities in the East Mesa area of Otay. Without knowing what exactly you do or are interviewing for, I can't be sure of the job. But I do know that ICE has detention locations in the area I mentioned above. I would assume you will be involved in inmate screening and care.

I work in the same area and live in Bonita. It is about a twenty minute commute. It is a family area though and not very urban at all. I would suggest downtown or some of the surrounding areas. I have mentioned this to others as well. Get something temporary for the first year and find a neighborhood that you love. Like oddstray said, you will be going against the commute.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
bump.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 AM

14 posts, read 18,239 times
Echo42,

What does your first paragraph have to do with her question? If she wants to volunteer personal info that's her choice.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Geezuz. A little PC?

I think his post perfectly in line.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 PM

Jeff,
Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM

Hey, it's ok. Nice guys! I'm a nurse. If hired, will be working at the ICE Detention facility in Otay. I don't mind disclosing, especially if it helps answer my questions. I think the biggest issue is proximity and I don't know what my work hours will be either. And also cost. I wouldn't mind sharing a house with someone or even two people. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 PM

Don't feel like you need to live in the immediate area. You will have access to several different corridors: 5, 805, and 125 if you"re willing to pay for the toll road. This will leave you with many options. One thing is for sure though, you will need a car. There is no public transportation out to the detention facilities on the mesa.

905 is a nightmare due to border traffic. You will have to drive on 905 to get where you're going.

Consider this:
South of 54=20 minute commute
South of 94=30 minute commute
South of I-8=40 minute commute

I wouldn't live north of the 8 in your circumstance. Just too much traffic to get down to the border in a reasonable amount of time. I know this is not helping you as far as a name of a neighborhood, but you have some considerations.

So something to consider is your pain threshold for traffic and price for apartment. You just have way to many options at this point to recommend a neighborhood.

By the way, eventually someone will pipe up and declare that you are going to become a victim of drug cartel violence if you travel in this area. The area is heavily patrolled by multiple federal, state and local police and law enforcement agencies.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Default commuting time

Thanks Echo. I appreciate your input. I've worked in two prisons before so (unless the officers are idiots and don't do their jobs) I most likely will feel very safe. Funny thing, sometimes its "safer" to work in a prison or detention environment these days; at least you have protection very close by.

I will be able to use your information when looking at places to rent so thanks. Seems like I'd like to live south of 54 (20 min. commute). So does that include Eastlake, Bonita?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego