U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM

326 posts, read 227,046 times
Default Vista Questions

My family is currently in the Bay Area. While we like it here we are finding that we would like warmer weather and to be closer to family in Encinitas.

We've visited San Diego many times, but never with an eye on relocating to the area. We are now considering SD for all the things to do and especially the weather.

Vista seems interesting because from what I've seen the weather is ideal. My daughter needs somewhat cooler weather to be able to play outside without getting seriously overheated, so hot, inland areas would not work well for us. However, my wife grew up in the desert and needs sunshine and at least some warmth for summer. Vista seems to meet these qualifications with some retreat to warmer or cooler temps easily attainable.

It seems like you get more for the money in Vista. Ideally, we would like some space and it seems affordable in parts of Vista. We would like a minimum of .5 acres, but would prefer 1 acre or more. This seems to be available around the $500,000 price point.

My family there says it is not worth it and too sketchy. The crime stats are below the national average and while we are not concerned with public schools the ratings appear to be pretty good.

So, what am I missing? Most likely my office location would be in Carlsbad, although I could be in downtown if there are better areas that fit our needs. Primary needs are weather like Vista (more sun than on the coast, but not too hot) and availability and affordability of homes with larger lots.

What are your opinions? Is Vista OK? Are there other areas to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 PM

301 posts, read 362,531 times
If schools don't matter, and you're looking for more bang for your buck, Vista should suit you well. There are some really nice areas. I think one is called the Warmlands. Here's an example of a really neat house in a nice area: 647 Rudd Rd, Vista, CA 92084 | MLS# 110028933 There are nearby shady areas, which does bring the prices down in the better areas. Another nice area is in Oceanside, called Fire Mountain. But it's not as rural, so the lots aren't as big. I don't know these areas, but how about a bit further north, like Fallbrook or Bonsall?

Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,472,848 times
All things considered, I'd rather live in a smaller place in Carlsbad, although some parts of Vista are okay.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:34 PM

204 posts, read 348,338 times
Yes, the weather in this area is pretty ideal. I definitely think that your request for a little bit of land in your price range is doable.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 PM

326 posts, read 227,046 times
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Are there other areas that would be better? What are the major problems with Vista? My SIL simply feels it is unsafe or too close to gangs.

Do you feel Vista is on the decline, holding steady, or improving? I am at least somewhat concerned that many express a real dislike of Vista. Should I be worried about that? Not so much in home values, but about the future of the city and the residents it may attract.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 AM

4,063 posts, read 3,396,444 times
Vista has some nice areas, and some sketchy areas. They talk a lot about improving the sketchy areas. They've been talking about it for years, with no apparent progress. Vista's politics is caught up on the notion of whether the nice areas are 'subsidizing' the sketchy areas, and is that unfair to the people in the nice areas, or OTOH should the people in the nice areas be doing even more to help improve the rest of Vista.

I wouldn't buy in Vista, even in a nice area. I don't think home values will decline any more than in surrounding areas. I do think the politics there are an impediment to any real progress.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:19 AM

204 posts, read 348,338 times
The area South of the 78 freeway is very nice, half of this area are farm like homes with land and the other is the subdivision of Shadowridge. I suggest taking a trip to this part of the city as it is VERY nice and safe. You'll especially will feel safe in Shadowridge because although it is quite cookie cutter, the neighborhood is well maintained and lush.
I bought about 3 years ago and I would buy here again. It is a good value because it offers a nice size home, with decent schools in a lovely neighborhood.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 PM

84 posts, read 65,834 times
Vista has some very nice areas and Shadowridge is definitely one of them. There are quite a few older homes sprinkled throughout Vista on larger parcels of land that seem to be what you are interested in and your price range is very doable there. Vista lies just enough inland to generally be outside the fog line and while it can get hot occasionally, it is a fairly temperate area. Quick access to the beaches, Escondido,Temecula and close to I-5 to head north or south. Quite a few new businesses (brand new Target, Hyatt under construction, large medical office park, etc.) have been moving in recently off of Melrose, south of 78. So much to do in North San Diego County, you'll enjoy it! Feel free to IM me if you have other questions.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:53 PM

78 posts, read 88,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htnspz View Post
The area South of the 78 freeway is very nice, half of this area are farm like homes with land and the other is the subdivision of Shadowridge. I suggest taking a trip to this part of the city as it is VERY nice and safe. You'll especially will feel safe in Shadowridge because although it is quite cookie cutter, the neighborhood is well maintained and lush.
I bought about 3 years ago and I would buy here again. It is a good value because it offers a nice size home, with decent schools in a lovely neighborhood.
I agree with everything stated here.

I moved to Vista 7 months ago, from Illinois. Here are my observations about the area: there are new, nice, attractive areas, and there are older, working-class areas. A lot of the working-class areas are mostly Hispanic. If that is what makes Vista "sketchy" or "gang filled" or whatever, then I have to laugh. You're from the Bay Area. There is WAY more of a gang problem in Oakland than there will EVER be in Vista. I don't even see gang-bangers here. We don't have shootings or anything that I see. Most of the crime (which there is actually not a lot of) is car break-ins or something like that. Not much residential burglary or mugging to speak of, and pretty much no rapes or murders.

Like I said, I am from the Midwest. When people see my smiling Aryan face and find out I am from the Midwest, they think that I must be from a picket-fence land of fictional rosy-hued yesteryear, where all your neighbors will lend you a cup of sugar and gossip over a slice of pie. Not so. There was a lot of crime (of all types) and gang issues where I was from, and the schools REALLY sucked. Vista is actually safer than my hometown. Yes, it's not a mostly white area (although there are lots of military families, and many of them are white), but being non-white does not mean it's bad or dangerous, or that it has gangs (although some people seem to think so). I don't care what race or ethnicity my neighbors are, though, and it has worked out well, because I've made some nice friends here.

I think that there are prestigious areas of SD county, and when people pay millions of dollars for their homes, they want to be comforted in the thought that where they live is nice and safe, and that where middle-class people live, is dangerous and unsafe (and thus the outrageous cost of living in Encinitas is justified). That's just not true. It's not bad here, at all. Also, some of the schools are very good. Lake Elementary is quite good. My daughter is at Breeze Hill, and she's doing great. She is in first grade and reads at a 3rd grade level. They even do algebra in first grade! The schools are more than fine.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 AM

78 posts, read 88,537 times
Another thing I wanted to point out is that you need to remember how much the Tri-City cities run into each other. That's why it's called Tri-City; the cities are virtually indistinguishable from one another, oftentimes. Example: I live in Vista, on Hacienda Drive. If I go east, and turn left on Melrose, I can keep driving a ways and I'm suddenly in Oceanside city limits. If I turn right, the same thing will happen! So Melrose Dr is literally in Oceanside, then in Vista, and then in Oceanside again. If I go west on Hacienda, and turn right on College, I'm in Oceanside again. If I turn left on College, I'm in Carlsbad. This is within the span of a couple of miles, if that.

Obviously there is no real visible difference among Vista, Oceanside, and Carlsbad, in many instances. It's just one zip code will cost you more to live in, than another. Why? I can't really tell you. I guess it's some sort of prestige among the people who like to know they paid more to live in one place, over another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego